Upper back pain after sleeping

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Upper back pain after sleeping

Post by Sangoma » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:45 am

I had it for a long time about 20 years ago and now it's back. Bitch. I wake up with pain in the thoracic spine. Moderate intensity makes it impossible to go back to sleep. It's weird: sometimes I wake up at 5 am with no pain, go back to sleep only to wake up an hour later in pain. And, the longer I sleep the more likely I am to get it. Surprisingly, it's not an uncommon syndrome, and there is quite a bit about it on the Net. Mind you, usual advice - work on your posture, avoid sleeping on the stomach, obey your parents and eat vegetables. Ok, not the last two. Anyway, if any of you grumpers get it don't despair, it's not cancer.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Upper back pain after sleeping

Post by Bobby » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:24 pm

Sangoma wrote:I had it for a long time about 20 years ago and now it's back. Bitch. I wake up with pain in the thoracic spine. Moderate intensity makes it impossible to go back to sleep. It's weird: sometimes I wake up at 5 am with no pain, go back to sleep only to wake up an hour later in pain. And, the longer I sleep the more likely I am to get it. Surprisingly, it's not an uncommon syndrome, and there is quite a bit about it on the Net. Mind you, usual advice - work on your posture, avoid sleeping on the stomach, obey your parents and eat vegetables. Ok, not the last two. Anyway, if any of you grumpers get it don't despair, it's not cancer.
Are you making sure that you are sleeping in a safe space?
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:14 pm

I'd take a look at your sitting posture. That's where a lot of my back issues have stemmed from.

Why might you feel it most when asleep? Your muscles are not warm and loose; think morning stiffness.

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:21 pm

Sure it's not angina?
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:56 pm

Morning stifness?
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:38 pm

i knew someone would go there...

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:05 pm

Ryan wrote:Sure it's not angina?
Come on, I am a doctor. So my first self diagnosis was cancer of some sort, then dissecting thoracic aneurism. Angina was last on my list, but it did enter the picture.

Anyway, as I said, it is a surprisingly common condition. Treatment wise - I will go to my No.1 spine authority, known around here as Terra.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:30 pm

Did pain start the same time you start to squat?
no joke here, serious question, i mean i am dilettante of course, but maybe weights are too much for your back?

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:02 am

Not connected to squat. First time I had it when I was in my mid 30s. I found doing some exercises immediately would help - back extensions, crunches etc., whatever got the spine moving. Then, after about a year, the pain gone away. It would come back from time to time, but not often enough to talk about it. Now it's back. Not a particular drama, but I should do something about it now.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:38 am

Foundation Training. Do the 12 minute routine. For other stiffness look at a picture of Lena Dunham-- that will kill it immediately.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Spiller
Corporal

Post by Spiller » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:10 am

Pain in the thoracic spine region is often referred from the lower cervical spine.

Often cervical spine retraction exercises can abolish this pain.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:05 pm

I can't say enough how much regular body work (chiro, massage, whatever your poison) is important for the master's exerciser/athlete/lifter. At my age (44), if my activity level gets above "exercise", I need semi-regular interventions. It makes a HUGE difference. FTR, my husband is a doctor and doesn't believe in any of that shit, but after a couple years of pain, etc., he has come to see the light as well.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:19 pm

I completely agree. In my 20s "recovery" wasn't in the vocabulary. Now I get punished if I skip a week without stretching or some mobility drills. Nothing too intense for now, but I suspect in the next decade it will have to take significant part of my training.

As far as doctors are concerned - we are a strange bunch. Modern medicine is pretty mechanistic. Some call it evidence based, but that's misleading. We tend to ignore what patients say and trust tests, measurements and statistical averages. Hence so many unhappy patients. Most orthopaedic surgeons I know don't believe that chiropractors can help, and when I say that I have been personally helped by one the response is limited to either ridicule - it wasn't serious enough in the first place - or explanation by placebo effect.

I would say modern medicine is really good when you have an acute illness. For chronic - not so good.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:56 am

Sangoma wrote:As far as doctors are concerned - we are a strange bunch. Modern medicine is pretty mechanistic. Some call it evidence based, but that's misleading. We tend to ignore what patients say and trust tests, measurements and statistical averages.
Speaking of modern medicine: what's the deal with glucosamine & chondroitin?
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:23 am

Some studies show moderate improvement in symptoms. Definitely worth a try. I've met patients who swear by it.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:04 am

Any preventative value?

I'm more or less symptom-free. But I had torn cartilage in the left knee ~10 years ago, with surgery to repair (or remove?). So I assume it's "thin" on that side. I'm over 50, somewhat fatter than I should be, and I just started lifting. Also jogging a little. Slowly adding some martial arts back in after a long time away.

Maybe I should take this to the Old Man Doping thread.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Croatoa

Post by Croatoa » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:50 pm

This thread is timely for me. I've been having the same issue lately but the pain is upper back on the right side and includes tightness in the chest.

I went to the clinic and my doctor prescribed me a PPI for acid reflux. She didn't seem too concerned that it was heart related because the symptoms don't get worse DURING exercise.

I will say that it's too much of a coincidence that this issue has come up since an increase in intensity during my workouts, primarily kettle bells. And by intensity I'm referring to RPE, the weight being used is quite light. Volume and frequency is also at an all time high, 5 to 6 days per week.

I'm planning on going back to the doctor soon. I'm only 37 but my grandfather did drop dead from a heart attack at age 54 despite otherwise being in good health.