Programming prowler pushes and farmer walks etc

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

odin
Sgt. Major

Programming prowler pushes and farmer walks etc

Post by odin » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:07 pm

My gym has got some new shit for Christmas; farmers walks bars, a prowler and a rope to drag the prowler like a sled. I've used these years ago but wondered what the current IGX views on these are? How are these best programmed?

Goals are pretty general - I'm looking at increasing some conditioning in the first 3 months of the year while maintaining muscle mass. Main limitations are energy demands of job and a couple of injury prone areas - back and shoulders. Part of me is wondering whether I'm just getting my head turned my some new shiny stuff and should stick to my traditional cardio.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Programming prowler pushes and farmer walks etc

Post by syaigh » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:31 pm

Use the prowler for post lifting recovery. Just push it, dont run with it, dont overload it. 5-8 laps (30-50 yards) with good recovery (2-4 minutes is plenty) and you'll see some benefits in daily work capacity and body comp within a few weeks. People like to treat the prowler as penance rather than a recovery tool and thats a mistake. If you grow to loathe it, you wont use it. Think of farmers as deadlift assistance work and use them as such. Sometimes i use them as a finisher with prowler pushes which can be fun, especially when training with others, but again, make it challenging but not vomit inducing.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:17 pm

Thanks for input.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:34 pm

syaigh wrote:make it challenging but not vomit inducing.
Heresy! This violates every YouTube Prowler video I've seen!!!
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:54 pm

You can also use light farmer's as part of your warm up. I do Dan Martin's Program Minimum Minimum as my regular warm up every session. I'm too lazy to drag out my farmer's handles so I do double waiter's walks with kookyballs.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:28 pm

I see farmers walk as prep for strecher carries.You never know when you have to carry strechers in exercises or real world.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:30 am

My 2 cents. Since I pushed huge road boxes [3500 pounds plus] for most of my career, I found pushes silly. Now that I don't do theater work.. I find it important.
Another thing on carries. Suitcase carries fix quadratus lumborum issues. If the QL goes silent you can't walk. Do the math. So I'd highly recommend Suitcase carries. JMHO
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:59 pm

Farmers pair with DL because too much farmers and too much DL creat similar recovery inroads. I'm of the opinion that Farmers done light and frequent are just flat out good for everything.

Prowler OTOH is like good mornings, more and heavier is not better. When I got our gym prowler, everyone loaded it to the max and set records for fastest time with most weight on low handles high handles etc. (I won for heaviest and fastest 50ft)...since that time, nobody who pushed themselves with that thing the first couple months touches it now. it is associated with pain. OTOH, the ladies ho used it with say a couple plates as a warm up or a long slow finisher...they use the thing every day.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:31 pm

Yeah I really like the farmers walks. Main issue with them is that there aren't many plates in the area where the bars are kept, so I suspect it will always be kept at 50kg per bar, which is fine but limits the application of them. I did some googling last night and note that Christian Thib has a boner for them at the mo. Apparently these will get me ripped.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:38 pm

As a ratio, .5 bW in each had is a good place to start for practice and distance. Much above 1xBW in each hand is the point of diminishing returns or most goals other than competing in SM.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:49 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:As a ratio, .5 bW in each had is a good place to start for practice and distance. Much above 1xBW in each hand is the point of diminishing returns or most goals other than competing in SM.
I gotta concur that unless you are a masochist who wants to compete in strongman comps, for a typical all-rounder trainee the farmer's walk is better as a test of strempf-endurance than a walking max-deadlift.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:53 pm

Yep,walking a kilometer with just a measly 26kg in each hands (which I imagine to be childs play......isn`t ) is a test of strempf endurance.The icy roads and stopped more experiments until the spring (thanks someone!).
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:32 pm

Prowler has assorted uses.

Like syaigh said above, walking with the prowler isn't that much easier, but provides the 'sled work' kind of recovery...generally doesn't make you sore because there is no eccentric. However, there you need to be aware that prowler pushing, in general, can be very hard on the calves, especially the low hands, and especially doing heavy and fast pushes.

Like BD implied...prowler sprints, esp when heavy, are an acquired taste that only masochists seem to acquire...I like them due to my background with rugby, and former football players and athletes who've delved deeply into anaerobic efforts seem to be able to manage them, but folks who've never done anything like that tend to vomit the first time they go hard.

I live long, light, prowler walks using the high handles...thing 20+ minutes. I usually go around an artificial turf football field. Real dirt and grass provides a lot of extra resistance.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:29 pm

TomFurman wrote: Suitcase carries fix quadratus lumborum issues. If the QL goes silent you can't walk. Do the math. So I'd highly recommend Suitcase carries. JMHO
Have used suitcase walks with kettlebells to fix lower back sprains/strains for this reason. Really gets the blood flowing and a bit of a pump in the QL.

Also fixed crossover gait problems I was having with running too.

Nice slow suitcase walks in a straight line with good posture and feet staying either side of an imaginary (or real) painted line a couple of inches wide.

I like the Dan John approach to carries - just do them and vary the load and distance every day

Boris

Post by Boris » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:34 pm

I love loaded carries (farmers walk, suitcase carries, sled work) and hill sprints and think they are great for a lot of things, but I struggle to do them consistently when the weather is nice enough and in the bad weather months, forget about it. It's not that I dislike them, I just don't do them as much as I think I should.

I don't program them in any specific way, but I do try to do them. These are one of those (what I would call) "check-list exercises" - I just try to get some work in and put a check in the column. I have had luck in setting frequency goals and using practice map (for ex: once a week, 5x/month, every day at the gym at the end of the session, etc.).

Practice maps thing: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2014/07/practice-maps.html

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:39 pm

I don't necessarily think you need to 'program' them, as much as just put them in on a consistent basis.

Prowler pushes aren't bad the day AFTER leg work, done mildly, or as extensive conditioning done a few days later.
FW type stuff can just be put in where you have time.