USA Weightlifting Sport Performance Coach

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

USA Weightlifting Sport Performance Coach

Post by JohnDoe » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:09 pm

One of these certs is headed to a CrossFit gym near me. My wife and I are looking to change jobs, which means one of us may be part time or in charge of the baby next year, depending on which of us gets hired. I could teach lifts anywhere if I'm out of the classroom for a year, so I'm considering attending.

Is it worth $445 and the membership?

Koko, Beware
Gunny

Re: USA Weightlifting Sport Performance Coach

Post by Koko, Beware » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:53 pm

If it is with the IGX Dude who likes Big Chicks yes, absolutely worth it.
Even without, the progressions are nice...it's a good scaffolding to hang O-lifting 101 & 102 on
In the mill, getting down.
-Kotto

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:58 pm

Do you know who the instructor is?

Bottom line you'll learn a lot but it takes a lot more time to become a competent coach and really be able to put it into practice with multiple body types and ability levels. I get a lot of business from the local CrossFits mainly because even those who have attended the sports performance certification don't really know what they are doing when it comes to refining technique. So if you are already competent in the lifts including the squat bench and deadlift, and you just need some teaching cues then it's really good.

And yeah, what he said.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:52 am

I took it almost twenty years ago at Manhattan College from Leo Totten of East Coast Gold . Not because I wanted to coach, but because I wanted to learn to do the lifts properly. This was pre-crossfit and quality coaching was tough to find. I was an experienced lifter, rugby, and judo athlete with only the coaching in the lifts I had received in a college weight room. I learned a great deal, and enjoyed it immensely, but I don't think I would have been qualified to coach anyone else's form after the course. Most of the other attendees were Manhattan Students earning degrees in Exercise Science or Kinesiology.

I dig big chicks
Staff Sergeant

Post by I dig big chicks » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:56 pm

Send me a PM and I will tell you about the class. I tec5h many of them, and so does another IGXer.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:12 pm

I've never been USAW certified, but there are literally 30+ people whom I've taught the lifts to who are now USAW certified. I find it kind of funny, I am terrible at the lifts, but pretty good at teaching beginners how to do them, mostly because I parrot Pendlay's teaching progressions.

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnDoe » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:03 am

I dig big chicks wrote:Send me a PM and I will tell you about the class. I tec5h many of them, and so does another IGXer.
PM sent.