Defranco's DL Tutorial.

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

SubClaw

Defranco's DL Tutorial.

Post by SubClaw » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:46 pm

It's an interesting way to look at the deadlift execution: I mean, it's basically a reverse RDL, just the way I do high handle trap bar lifts but, coming from Defranco, I kinda expected something more... Westside-like, you know. Anyway, I like it, but leaving the quads out of the movement and RDLing the eccentric phase will surely decrease the weights moved (not that I really care, I kinda like self-limiting exercises). It seems like a safer way to perform a pure hinge lift, doesn't it?

Boris

Re: Defranco's DL Tutorial.

Post by Boris » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:35 pm

Haven't listened to it yet - just watched execution. It's how I've been deadlifting for years now.

I think if you are built w. a long torso and short arms, and you want to have a long training life and keep deadlifting without continually flocking up your back, you will gravitate toward something like this.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:10 am

I don't like it.

He doesn't cover the most important thing most people get wrong. Position of shoulders/chest/scap/COG relative to bar.
The neutral spine thing is OK but not where I'd put energy with a newb.
Bicep tears on mixed grip? Neighbor please..no one learning to DL from that video is going to have that as a prob and OH grip is severely limiting for chicks.
His How to find foot and hand position is atrocious.
He makes an issue out of pulling slack out of the bar but doesn't pull the slack out of the bar....all bars bend a little
His cues on engaging lats are well intended but shabbily executed.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:11 am

Everything BD said plus the knee into arm thing is not great.

Pavel and McGill's lifters wedge concept is far better, as is the Duffin set up
He ignores the feet, as well as hip torque.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:24 am

This guy is so fucking dumb. The quintessential meathead.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:42 am

Duffins long winded tutorial is quite good as Shaf mentions. Once you grok what Hes on about you recognize that sumo and conventional at not dissimilar.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:55 am

I generally like Joe D, and his focus on The Repitition Method within the Westsude Approach is probably his greatest contribution, but this DL vid seems off.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:49 pm

His athletes in vids often have pretty shitty form, as in 'I've seen a girl who weighs 100# less deadlift the same weight with better form'

Boris

Post by Boris » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:56 pm

Just listened to this finally. Not bad for people learning how to deadlift. The "soundtrack" is annoying as hell, but whatever.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:09 am

Nothing on bracing? People hurt their back b/c they don't know how to brace.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:37 pm

For a long time, I subscribed to Mel Siff's theory that your body knows how to brace for a load automatically, and it's a reflexive thing, but as I got further into teaching people how to lift, I realized that most folks need a distinct bracing protocol to keep their core tight and read to lift.

I recently went back and looked, and Siff was talking about the olympic lifts and was against the 'drawing in' type bracing that Paul Chek was heavily promoting at the time.

Boris

Post by Boris » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:46 pm

I still think that all most people need to learn about bracing is readying as if for a punch to the gut. "Breathing behind the shield" is a good cue for some depending on the activity too, but (imho) beyond what most people can handle, as is Paul Chek's drawing in.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:08 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:For a long time, I subscribed to Mel Siff's theory that your body knows how to brace for a load automatically, and it's a reflexive thing, but as I got further into teaching people how to lift, I realized that most folks need a distinct bracing protocol to keep their core tight and read to lift.
I can no longer take for granted what I can expect grown adults to be able or not able to do reflexively. Some people have spot-on mind/body awareness and muscle control. Others couldn't find their glutes even if they had four hands.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:32 pm

"Your set up for the lift should be harder than the lift" is what Chris Duffin said in the KMS seminar. I kind of agree now that I've seen it in action, but implementation without experiencing the information first is hard.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:04 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:"Your set up for the lift should be harder than the lift" is what Chris Duffin said in the KMS seminar. I kind of agree now that I've seen it in action, but implementation without experiencing the information first is hard.
and easily forgotten. You think you have it dialed, then you do a volume block or even a delaod and the lack of heavy ass weight throws me.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:37 am

Sumo way easier to get prepulling and setup tension right.

Conventional, even for a short armed long back squatter/bencher like me, getting that good right feeling over the bar on Rep 1 is tough. And as BD said and I learned first from a Dave Tate article, getting your shoulders behind the bar and pulling into yourself, not up, is hard to groove after awhile. This is where you find a lot of floor welds.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:37 am

Xx

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:36 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:Sumo way easier to get prepulling and setup tension right.

Conventional, even for a short armed long back squatter/bencher like me, getting that good right feeling over the bar on Rep 1 is tough. And as BD said and I learned first from a Dave Tate article, getting your shoulders behind the bar and pulling into yourself, not up, is hard to groove after awhile. This is where you find a lot of floor welds.

The set up for Sumo is always so dramatic but the reality is, the lifter built like PL has it waaaaay harder. The heavier you pull the more technical everything becomes

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Spiller
Corporal

Post by Spiller » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:49 pm

I don't do 5 or 8 at all. Guess I've been reading too much Rippetoe.

I'm going to have to try that. I also need to find some stronger guys to train with.

Thanks for the link!