If two of my 2017 goals are balance and strength....

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

If two of my 2017 goals are balance and strength....

Post by seeahill » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:39 am

For 2017: I've got the walking down.

I don't set workout goals, I set goals I have to train for: climb Mount Livingston, walk a marathon in under 6 hours. (I'll figure the workouts and be ready for those),do the one day traverse of Hurricane Pass.

But, as I age, my balance has gone to shit. My strength is still good and I'd like to keep it that way. Any suggestions? DDP Yoga seems precisely what I need, but I can't keep with it. I need "an event" in the future and then I'll train for it. That's what works for me.

terra

Re: If two of my 2017 goals are balance and strength....

Post by terra » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:58 am

In exactly 3 months time I, or someone working on my behalf and extremely well armed will attempt to kill you. It will be contrived such that your only avenue to evade this and survive will be to run, in total darkness, for 50 yards along the top of a 6 foot paling fence, Then broad jump 9 feet to catch a branch which you must muscle up onto and stand perfectly still for 30 seconds...

3 months mutherfucker, start training now!!!
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

seeahill

Post by seeahill » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:14 am

terra wrote:In exactly 3 months time I, or someone working on my behalf and extremely well armed will attempt to kill you. It will be contrived such that your only avenue to evade this and survive will be to run, in total darkness, for 50 yards along the top of a 6 foot paling fence, Then broad jump 9 feet to catch a branch which you must muscle up onto and stand perfectly still for 30 seconds...

3 months mutherfucker, start training now!!!
Thanks for the thought. Unfortunately, I'll end up just working on my quick draw and 12 gauge skills.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:21 am

No help with a Yoga Event.

Any yoga or Tai Chi classes in your area? That would be better than trying to grind it out solo, IMO. Especially if there are hot M/GILFs attending.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:01 am

Ice skating?
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:12 am

Slackline competitions?
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:16 am

Hackysack

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:50 am

I like the tai chi RX. I had an uncle with terrible congenital spine issues. He was confined to a walker and wheelchair for a lot of his middle age mostly because of weakness but also balance issues from being sedentary. Once his wife left him he got his shit together and started up with one of those slo-fu classes in the park. He was able to walk the better part of the PCT in his 60s
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:27 am

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:50 am

There is quite a bit of advice on the Net for improving the balance. I would add one more thing: practice falls. As we get older falling becomes more dangerous. I think in large part because we don't fall anymore. Remember, when you were ten years old falling on the concrete when running at full speed wasn't a big deal. As years went by it gradually became progressively bigger deal. My point - everyone should practice falling. Those who play sports do that inadvertently - soccer, BJJ etc. Those who don't should do it - on the sand, on the grass, on the mats, whatever. Not losing the ability to brace during falls can literally save your life.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:39 pm

I like the tai chi and 'learning to fall' pieces of advice. Something that I would add is simply spending more time on the ground or floor - getting down and up, preferably not using your hands.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:50 pm

airplane

Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:58 pm

Protobuilder wrote:Something that I would add is simply spending more time on the ground or floor - getting down and up, preferably not using your hands.
That's one reason I'm reluctant to lump Turkish Get-Ups into the "stupid human tricks" category. Yeah, for a 35yo it may not do that much for you. For a 65yo or 75yo, whole different story.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:08 pm

Little 9 Heaven qigong has been great for my balance. There's also a form of the Ba Duan Jin that has good balance benefits. Links can be found here.

Short, simple & effective for balance.

At 1:13 of the video associated with this article about Scott Glenn makes a lot of sense as it relates to balance.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:38 pm

Sangoma wrote: I would add one more thing: practice falls.
I'll echo that.

One thing that was great about Aikido was all of the rolling, break-falling, and getting back up. It is amazing how much of a workout you can get just by plopping down and getting back up. Small rolls and large rolls during warmup was great stuff.
Don’t believe everything you think.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:58 pm

I'll second the Tai Chi - it does help. After my knee surgeries the PTs had me standing on one foot on a mini tramp and touch around a clock face kind of thing with the other foot that seemed to really help my balance - doing it with my eyes closed really worked me. As a balance "goal" I'm kind of lost - maybe walk a railroad track for a quarter mile? Lot's of things require balance but I can't think of anything that "tests" it in a competition type setting for a good goal.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:57 pm

What happened to the GMB Elements program you were doing? I'd say that along with the practice falls and YRG, especially the Stand Up routine.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:58 pm

One legged postures are a simple, good, tool. Very common to martial arts and very worthwhile.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

seeahill

Post by seeahill » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:31 pm

All great suggestions. I'll get back on GMB Elements (didn't do it in the Grand Canyon).

Will give DDP Yoga another try.

And the walking the quarter mile railroad track is a definite goal.

Also, Turd's video "Never Stop Playing" was well worth the watch. There were a lot of good ideas for me in there.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:02 am

seeahill wrote:Turd's video "Never Stop Playing" was well worth the watch. There were a lot of good ideas
That was amazing. I forwarded it to my mom, and shared it on FB with note, "How to grow old."

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:07 pm

As Mick mentioned, the YRG Stand Up program is excellent. The Strength Builder program is a good one too-- it includes some hip work that complements SU nicely.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:06 pm

The issue here isn't the program is the trainee.

Seeahill you're more disciplined than this. Set out a routine of 2 to 3 days a week of dedicated work to address your needs and tell yourself you're going to stick to it. You can have wiggle room but you need a minimum that you have to do and you do it without fail. I'd also recommend recruiting a coach and paying for the programming.

Set goals for your adventures but hold yourself accountable for the things that don't directly apply but are necessary for life.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:08 pm

Maybe it's too late but could one additional goal be to become a better writer and write something that people actually want to read? I am discounting your successful material that we all know was plagiarized.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:25 am

A T O M I C
T
O
M
I
C