If two of my 2017 goals are balance and strength....

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Re: If two of my 2017 goals are balance and strength....

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:40 am

Shapecharge wrote:Maybe it's too late but could one additional goal be to become a better writer and write something that people actually want to read? I am discounting your successful material that we all know was plagiarized.
From another thread but apropos
seeahill wrote:No.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:58 am

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:35 pm

I think those adventure races (tough murder, warrior dash, etc) are lame...but I would think training for one of them would require drills that incorporate balance work.
Just an idea

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:47 pm

bennyonesix wrote:Here is a balance goal.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-new ... ft-w459492
Who knew there was such a thing as a pro slackliner. #whitepeoplesports
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

ccrow
Gunny

Post by ccrow » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:29 pm

I think if you do exercises that build the muscles that keep you upright that's a start, the strength is necessary but not sufficient. Strong core, lower legs, feets, etc. I also think carrying less weight helps. You occasionally see a young fat guy that can really move, but not old ones.

The nervous system slows down as you age and balance needs fast reactions so there's going to be some inevitable decline. However I think it's usually worse that it has to be. You learn the skills of balance as a young person playing games and sports and etc. To do your best at an older age with less strength / higher bodyweight / slower nerves, you're fucked. I think the old dude playing around video is the best thing, just re-learn / refresh those skills to the best of your abilities with the older body. I think that the specific drills are fine and build the special strengths etc. but not the skills, you need a more varied and general approach.

If you remember a training toy that Dan John wrote about a long time ago, the slosh pipe - I made one of these for everyone to screw around with at a cookout, it was a lot of fun. There were some strong older dudes that found it very very unmanageable, I thought it would be a good thing for them to mess with to build their balance. Set up some cones in the yard and zig zag through the cones carrying the slosh pipe in the crooks of your elbows, you'll get a chuckle if nothing else.
But when I stand in front of the mirror and really look, I wonder: What the fuck happened here? Jesus Christ. What a beating!

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:21 pm

I did research on slacklines. The only scientific/medical paper I could find said that seniors on slacklines improved their balance. On slacklines. The balance gains, they said, did not transfer.

I decided to work on balance during my 3 week winter camping/river running in the Grand Canyon. The rules say you must piss in the river. (They say the answer to pollution is dilution. I just like the idea that those fountains in front of the Bellagio in Las Vegas are spewing up our piss.)

Anyway, when I got up at night to pee, I often had to walk over sandy wet rocks, navigating by headlamp, to get to the river. I felt very unsteady. Such a simple thing, but I dreaded the nightly scramble. That's the sort of skill I need to work on.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:36 pm

i tumbled yesterday while working in the woods, making my way through a tangle of hemlock limbs. i was able to roll and get right back up.

rough ground and patches of ice (notably those covered by a thin layer of snow) are increasingly a problem. i've gone down about a half dozen times in the past year.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:56 pm

Balance is a combination of attributes. Inner ear - eyes - feedback coming up from the ground through the feet - knees - hips etc. After my knee surgeries a big part of my therapy with the PT was balance - lot's of stuff on the mini tramp and lots of eyes closed work. Eye's closed is an Eye opener :). I know what you mean about getting up to pee in the dark on bad footing - it takes a while for my inner ear to go from horizontal to vertical and catch up with itself.

There is also a speed component - moving balance is different than stationary for sure. I'm working on my inner ear right now - I lay on a bench - drop my head back and then bring it up - makes me sorta dizzy or disoriented maybe - but it's getting better quickly it seems. Slow motion balance like in Tai Chi carries over to moving balance but not the other way around for me.

newguy

Post by newguy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:15 am

Maybe a bit left of center suggestion, but I've been re-reading keys to progress -

What about some form of a dance class? country, ballroom, latin, whatever. Would be social, structured, and if i'm not mistaken there can be a competition/performance element to keep you focused.

Plus, haters might hate, but it is cool as hell. One of my future goals is something along this track.

(EDIT ADDITION)
Re: Keys to Progress; Macullum in Keys to Progress felt in the middle/later years (40s and beyond) you needed:
health
endurance/strength (PHA style training)
vigorous social activities (recommended line dancing)
running (5 miles at 9:00 minute miles, I think 4 to 5 times a week.)

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:58 pm

My wife bought me a stand up paddle boarding session for Christmas as I've wanted to try it for ages.

Thought I'd be a pro after five minutes after all the rowing and kettlebells and shit I do.

Turns out I was wrong.

I could stand up as long as the water was flat but came odd about five times in the tiniest swell. After 15 minutes my legs were quivering and I had to sit down and paddle around. Did some paddling while kneeling and managed to get some decent speed up and a bit of control. Then the sea calmed down and I got half an hour of standing up and finally managed to stand and move and get some speed and actually paddle. But after an hour I was absolutely fucked. And today I am a mess and everything is sore.

Point is it's a bloody fun way to find out you got no balance and probably a bloody good way to get some. Probably helps if you live on the beach in Western Australia though.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:18 am

I see them on the river here in late summer when the water is low. These guys are still taking minor rapids....

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:04 am

aussie luke wrote:My wife bought me a stand up paddle boarding session for Christmas as I've wanted to try it for ages.

Thought I'd be a pro after five minutes after all the rowing and kettlebells and shit I do.

Turns out I was wrong.

I could stand up as long as the water was flat but came odd about five times in the tiniest swell. After 15 minutes my legs were quivering and I had to sit down and paddle around. Did some paddling while kneeling and managed to get some decent speed up and a bit of control. Then the sea calmed down and I got half an hour of standing up and finally managed to stand and move and get some speed and actually paddle. But after an hour I was absolutely fucked. And today I am a mess and everything is sore.

Point is it's a bloody fun way to find out you got no balance and probably a bloody good way to get some. Probably helps if you live on the beach in Western Australia though.
I second that. I did the same thing in New Zealand last year. Quiet little bay, but as soon as some waves came up the balance became a major thing. Legs, abs, back - all that was humming after an hour. Also, the slightest current made the paddling a serious job. So yeah, lots of fun and a good workout.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:21 pm

Sangoma wrote:
aussie luke wrote:My wife bought me a stand up paddle boarding session for Christmas as I've wanted to try it for ages.

Turns out I was wrong.

I second that. I did the same thing in New Zealand last year. Quiet little bay, but as soon as some waves came up the balance became a major thing. Legs, abs, back - all that was humming after an hour. Also, the slightest current made the paddling a serious job. So yeah, lots of fun and a good workout.
I tried one out this summer. I share your experience. and my calves were sore for days after. Makes me want to get my own. :)
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:24 pm

syaigh wrote:
Sangoma wrote:

Turns out I was wrong.

I tried one out this summer. I share your experience. and my calves were sore for days after. Makes me want to get my own. :)
I got straight online after and was checking out the price of sup boards! Sadly they're not cheap. Will keep an eye out for a second hand one though.

Also really keen to try out the sit on kayaks on the ocean.