Joel Jamieson Interdasting Piece

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Koko, Beware
Gunny

Joel Jamieson Interdasting Piece

Post by Koko, Beware » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:42 am

http://www.8weeksout.com/2017/01/04/pos ... n-program/

I feel like I've seen this before...good to see it out there again.
In the mill, getting down.
-Kotto

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Re: Joel Jamieson Interdasting Piece

Post by bennyonesix » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:26 am

Is the inflammation from "too much" in glycogen depleted state true?

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:46 am

i don't pay attention to articles that talk about turning your body into a "fat-burning furnace."
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:58 am

dead man walking wrote:i don't pay attention to articles that talk about turning your body into a "fat-burning furnace."

Nonetheless. Joel Jamieson is one of the best of the popular voices in S&E. i have never seen him put out a substandard piece or anything not supported by science.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:32 am

Ditto. Interesting piece

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:04 am

Granted, I am an idiot and weak, but when I want to drop weight I just fast every other day and walk a ton on fast days and lift on eating days until I lose enough.

I reckon he'd argue that is courting inflammation and rebound but I don't really get rebound and I maintain what strength I have very well.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:50 am

Many ways to skin the cat. Calorie reduction is 90% of fat loss. Continuing exercise and ramping up protein intake reduces muscle loss during this phase. The rest - alternating fat loss and workout days, fasted cardio, careless post-workout etc. - I think it has marginal benefits and probably strong placebo effect.

A male nurse at work is a serious amateur bodybuilder and he knows nothing about alternating fat loss and lifting days. He just gradually reduces calories during cutting phase. His BF at last comp in March was around 7%.

If it was in my power I would ban fitness writers from using the word insulin. It's physiology is way more complex than just being "an obesity hormone". Protein triggers more insulin release than carbs, and I would expect everyone to know that by now - but no, they keep talking the same Gary Taubes and Michael Eades bullshit. Don't try to be scientifical, just tell us what to eat and how many sets and reps.

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:51 am

Pretty good piece - I really should try and apply some of this in a moderate fashion. For me, several low cal/tempo interval days throughout the week combined with some maintenance cal/lifting days has always sounded like a sensible and sustainable routine.

However, in practice I have invariably fucked up the low days by getting too hungry and doing too much work, which has a knock on effect of making me eat too much on the maintenance days. The net result is always a few weeks of uneven workouts and no fat loss.

In the past, my most successful fat loss results have always come from overtraining and under eating and never cheating for periods of about 10-12 weeks. As time goes on I am less motivated to take that approach, it is definitely not sustainable, and I have experienced the hormonal/metabolic/training cratering effects that eventually crop up.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

He didn't mention peptides as supplements for fat loss. Speaking of which, does anybody know what's happening with Dat?

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:25 am

If someone is interested here is the approach I used in 2015. I managed to get to 10% BF. I suspect I got it even lower, as after the DEXA I continued doing the same thing for another three-four weeks. I am planning to repeat it this year.

Lifting two days a week, 3 sets of 5 reps, followed by 1 set of ten.
Basic lifts: TBDL, FSQ, incline bench, dips, chins, some abs.

On lifting days - 2200-2400 kcal. More carbs.
Two days a week - extreme fat loss days, meaning caloric intake of 1000-1400 kcal, no carbs. Starting to eat at 12:00 - 14:00 pm.
Three days a week - moderate fat loss days: 1400-1700 kcal intake. Starting eating at noon.
Protein intake - 1 g/day.
For the reference - my maintenance is 1550 kcal/day (70 kg, 54 year old)

Fasted cardio on non-lifting days. Total training time - 6 hours per week.

This way you suffer couple of times per week, but get compensated on lifting days. For me it is easier to maintain compliance.

From past experiences - I think for predictable results you must count calories. With the apps available now and digital scales selling for $2 I don't think it's an issue. Sure, if your BF is 40% just quitting drinking 2 liters of Coke every day is a good start. But when you are under 20% you need to quantify things you put in your mouth.

Long cardio is really important. Doesn't have to be hard. To the contrary, needs to be easy enough to be sustainable for an hour. I personally like stationary bike ride - while listening to the conspiratorial-end of the world-they don't want you to know about-how to get rich by tomorrow and other podcasts of this kind.

Lastly, I believe if you want results then hiring someone who can guide you through the process is a good idea. I hired Corey Nelson of togglefit.com. Unfortunately, it looks like this site doesn't exist anymore. In any case, your commitment tends to strengthen if you are paying for it. And who is better to tell you how to lose fat than those who do it for a living!