Isaac Hays Template/2 Day Strength Routine

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Isaac Hays Template/2 Day Strength Routine

Post by tonkadtx » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:38 am

The Isaac Hayes template has gotten a lot of play on the board lately. Just out of curiosity, and because this is basically just us shooting the shit, what is the most effective 2 day routine you have ever used? I have probably asked this before.

What I've been using, and return to frequently with Trap bar and Safety Squat because I'm a broke dick judofag. Courtesy of Shaf:
Workout 1:
Deadlift - OTM work capacity style. Will explain below.
OHP/Pull Up (ladder supersets) (OHP will be a 2/3/5 ladder, Pull ups will be 1/2/3 or whatever you can manage right now)
-whatever other stuff you want. I would suggest some kind of core work.

Workout 2:
Squat variation: OTM work capacity style: as per below
Bench/Pendlay Row ladder superset
-whatever other stuff you want, once again, core work. Fill in the holes, maybe biceps, calves, push ups...whatever, just don't tack on another hour after your main work.

OTM Work capacity style: What you're going to do is either watch the clock or set your phone to beep every minute, then you are going to do a single rep on that beep for 20 minutes. You will start at 275x1, x20 sets, for deadlifts, for example. You will add a bit of weight to this every time you do it, but the reps have to stay crisp, like they would in ladders. Deadlift specific: After about 4 weeks, you might be around 315-335 with this, depending on how you train up, and chances are you are going to all of a sudden see the weights almost jumping off the floor. When you reach the right load, your HR is going to stay around the aerobic training zone for 20 minutes. (which will be true for the squat as well)

SubClaw

Re: Isaac Hays Template/2 Day Strength Routine

Post by SubClaw » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:14 am

tonkadtx wrote:The Isaac Hayes template has gotten a lot of play on the board lately. Just out of curiosity, and because this is basically just us shooting the shit, what is the most effective 2 day routine you have ever used? I have probably asked this before.
It's not pretty, it's not fancy and it's far from perfect, but it always gets the job done:

Session 1:

- Front Squat + Push Press (NOT a thruster, there's a pause between them).
- Pull Ups and Double KB Cleans supersetted.

Session 2:

- RDL + Bent Row (done as a continuous movement).
- Dips and Rack Carries (I'm not sure why, but they work better than Farmer's Walks; trunk stabilization I guess) supersetted.

I usually do this following a simple ladder scheme: 3x1-2-3. This allows me to stay fresh for the mat.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:43 am

Tejas Methode De Pacific Northwest

Monday- Vol. whatever oly movements you're doing in the EZ template fashion.
Squat and Press or Bench (i'm guessing press)either 3x5 or ladders (1,2,3)x4 on both,
Speed Pulls 6-8x2 or rdl's if the squats felt heavy

Thursday: is "light" Oly template: ? your call, keep, 10 singles is a good idea.
front squats (heavy) 3x3 plus push presses with your strict press weight.

Monday:Work up to a Max Squat or a max dead (i'd say a max triple or double) Work up to Max Press: again, max triple or double.If you didn't DL, do speed pulls on this day.

Thursday: volume day again...
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:35 pm

You can drop the Lane 50/20 right into that template as well

Or ladders. Or anything, except maybe not the 531.

It's so basic and minimalist.

You could just do 2 sets of 20

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:35 pm

It's funny. I've been getting a bit sick of minimalism, at least weightlifting wise, and was thinking of doing a Steiner/McCallum esque deal.

Curl
Press
Squat (with pullover?)
Bench
Row
SLDL
Abs

Superset the push/pulls for time sake, All done for 2 or 3x10 or maybe 10, 8, 6.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:17 pm

On the podcast I posted on the undulating periodization thread, Mike Zourdos talks about adapting periodization to two days a week.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:26 pm

tonkadtx, that's minimalistic too.

And if you really are up for the challenge, I'd suggest Ken Leistner's standards: "If you could get to the point where you're squatting 400lbs for 20 reps, stiff-legged deadlifting 400 lbs for 15 reps, curling 200 for 10 reps, pressing 200 for 10 resp, doing 10 dips with 300 lbs around your waist, and chinning with 100 pounds, don't you think you would be big - I mean awfully big? And strong?".

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:50 pm

SubClaw wrote:tonkadtx, that's minimalistic too.

And if you really are up for the challenge, I'd suggest Ken Leistner's standards: "If you could get to the point where you're squatting 400lbs for 20 reps, stiff-legged deadlifting 400 lbs for 15 reps, curling 200 for 10 reps, pressing 200 for 10 resp, doing 10 dips with 300 lbs around your waist, and chinning with 100 pounds, don't you think you would be big - I mean awfully big? And strong?".
Lol. Up for a challenge?

How many people on this board either can hit one of those standards, or know of anyone that can hit all of them.

I could possibly do the SLDL and I could push Press 200 for 10 reps. I'm sure BD has hit the squats. But those are elite strength standards that you're not going to hit by training twice a week.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:27 pm

That's so much fucking bullshit...along the lines of Brooks Kubik saying virtually the same fucking thing. Leistner was a stud, sure, the squat and deadlift portion is the easiest, I don't think I know anyone who can do the arm shit, and the last guy I saw try to dip 300# was doing some ridiculous 2" range of motion thing.

And this brings up the humorous incident of Ken Leistner filming himself doing 423x22 in the squat and then people calling him out on it, saying it didn't look like it was that heavy and that the plates didn't ring like iron plates did, more like the balsam wood show plates Leistner had at Iron Island Gym for photoshoots, and then he cancelled selling the video saying the music in the background was copyrighted and he couldn't get them to sign off on it.

As those who were around when that happened, Leistner has probably never lied about a thing in his life, so the accusations basically made him leave the internet forever.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:33 pm

I used to bedevil Kubiks and ask him how his fictional training partners were when we were on speaking terms. For those who don't know, almost every training story in the original Dinosaur Training book was made up, except his powerlifting meet ones, and then I'm sure there were some artistic flourishes added. There were no training partners. When it was written, Kubiks was doing a Hardgainer type program PLUS was using Hammer Strength machines in HIT type circuits...when Bill Starr laughed at Kubiks saying Hammer Strength machines were Dinosaur Machines, he promptly took them out of the next version of the book.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:26 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:You can drop the Lane 50/20 right into that template as well

Or ladders. Or anything, except maybe not the 531.

It's so basic and minimalist.

You could just do 2 sets of 20

FWIW...I RX ladder progression for everybody either as a standalone big move or for accessories. I'm astonished when people manage to fuck it up becuase it's as versatile tool as they come.

Same with 50/20 or my preference 40/20
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:37 pm

One set to positive muscle failure is definitely not in the cards. Been down that road.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:38 pm

Beer Jew wrote:
SubClaw wrote:tonkadtx, that's minimalistic too.

Lol. Up for a challenge?

How many people on this board either can hit one of those standards, or know of anyone that can hit all of them.

I could possibly do the SLDL and I could push Press 200 for 10 reps. I'm sure BD has hit the squats. But those are elite strength standards that you're not going to hit by training twice a week.
Hey, I didn't say I could do it. But feel free to give it a try. :finga:

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:31 pm

Mentzer_oranges_naked_405fwy.gif

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:45 pm

:boner

newguy

Post by newguy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:25 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I used to bedevil Kubiks and ask him how his fictional training partners were when we were on speaking terms. For those who don't know, almost every training story in the original Dinosaur Training book was made up, except his powerlifting meet ones, and then I'm sure there were some artistic flourishes added. There were no training partners. When it was written, Kubiks was doing a Hardgainer type program PLUS was using Hammer Strength machines in HIT type circuits...when Bill Starr laughed at Kubiks saying Hammer Strength machines were Dinosaur Machines, he promptly took them out of the next version of the book.
Dude, you really drop a spoiler alert before dropping bombs like this.

He had his lifting buddies over. They were lifting a keg or something. One of them passed out from the effort and his dog went over and sniffed them to see if they were dead.

Are you telling me this did not happen?

What next dude. Are you going to tell me Grimek wasn't a natural???
"When I was little, my father was famous. He was the greatest samurai in the empire. And he was the Shogun's decapitator. He cut off the heads of a 131 Lords. It was a bad time for the empire."

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:44 am

I actually like Kubik's material. Dinosaur training was one of the first "real" training books that I ever got my hands on after college and the ridiculous shit that was being pushed. It was that and a subscription to powerlifting usa.

His training tapes with the dogshit on the floor were bordering on parody though. "Cellar Dweller" indeed.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:26 am

Kubik_shitty_hands_bathroom.jpeg

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:17 am

I've had decent luck with

Day 1: work up to a heavy triple; back off set of 10 reps
Dead
Bench

Day 2: same work scheme
Squat
Row or chin

Run or bike 1-2x a week.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:44 pm

For broke dick people like me this may work:

Front squat & chin 2-3-5 ladders

Sumo clean grip Deadlift & db floor press 2-3-5 on press, singles on Deadlift

Face pulls and abs after

Liss and/yoga couple times a week
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:00 pm

I'm doing this program twice a week instead of the 4 recommended in the article. The only other thing I've changed is adding a few sets of hypertrophy work (bis, calves). I really like it.

https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/minima ... ow-and-why
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:45 pm

If you are not training for a real sport or a competitive lifting sport (and I include BBing in this), the things you will and can do regularly are the key. In sport often you really need to do what you don't want to do or suck at, but in the long view of looking good Nekkid and not dying of preventable afflictions you need to find something useful that you will do.

Not for everybody but I do 2 days of lifting a week in my garage gym alone.
An extensive KB warmup which is rehab for my bionic hip and a Prehab warmup for my workout. Goblet squat, two hand swing, single swing, snatch to an eccentric press move, pull to the face, and weighted step up.
BP-push
Either JM presses or phone book press-lockout my greatest weakness
Pull-up- vertical pull
Kroc row-horizontal pull
TBDL- hinge/squat. Hope to get back to at least box squatting and will be alternating regular dls with TBDL.

Two days a week I do conditioning, mainly sled dragging in a park in my neighborhood. But I can and do plug in brisk hiking, riding my mountain bike, or yardio. Because I hate this stuff but having the option of what I do makes it a choice and more likely to do it. And I can do it all in my neighborhood. And it is easy to replicate on the road.
And
Otherwise I do Yoga and mobility though the day. And have a half bosu ball in my TV room for crunches.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:01 pm

If you are not training for a real sport or a competitive lifting sport (and I include BBing in this), the things you will and can do regularly are the key.
This is an excellent point. It doesn't matter how supremely optimal something is if you never do it.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:15 pm

tonkadtx wrote:
If you are not training for a real sport or a competitive lifting sport (and I include BBing in this), the things you will and can do regularly are the key.
This is an excellent point. It doesn't matter how supremely optimal something is if you never do it.
Kind of summarizes the Isaac Hayes Template. Thanks for this..
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Koko, Beware
Gunny

Post by Koko, Beware » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:23 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:If you are not training for a real sport or a competitive lifting sport (and I include BBing in this), the things you will and can do regularly are the key. In sport often you really need to do what you don't want to do or suck at, but in the long view of looking good Nekkid and not dying of preventable afflictions you need to find something useful that you will do.
Pure gold.
In the mill, getting down.
-Kotto