USAPL called out

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

USAPL called out

Post by syaigh » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:29 pm

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/201 ... ice-usapl/

Have to say, ive had many of the same thoughts, especially regarding the team "coaches" at worlds. And the outrageous fees. Coming from USAW where lifters and coaches are both supported and there is a culture of education, usapl is sorely lacking if they really want to be an Olympic sport.

Anyway, good talk here. If you're interested in fringe sports with tiny pants, give it a listen.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Re: USAPL called out

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:47 pm

On one hand, I'm sure it's all true.

On the other hand, "The Jugglife"? Fuck me.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:26 pm

USAPL has been a bastion of cuntery from its inception

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:41 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:USAPL has been a bastion of cuntery from its inception
As a long time USAPL lifter, I cannot disputed this. The stories of fuctardery, scheming, judge and officials misbehavior, etc are epic and those are just my firsthand ones.

The BS of team picking blatant disregard for the rules, and the "Team Coaches" signing off on a lifter's lift is outrageous.

One of the reasons I struggle with thoughts of competing again. I love the experience and process. I despise people who flaunt and disregard the rules, particularly when they are dumber and weaker than me. NOBODY would ever pick my attempts. Input? sure. but signing off...gfy.

Having said that Larry Maile, Priscilla Ribic, and Johnny Graham always treated me well and stepped in several times when I was confronted by true idiots.

The hotel story and fees plus team "fees" is crazy.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:52 pm

Come to the USPA...the waters is fine......
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:04 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Come to the USPA...the waters is fine......
No doubt I had more fun lifting in any other fed I tried. Even Pro Meets where I was a distinct outlier (Talib may write a book about me) and money was on the line the level of BS was significantly less.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:03 pm

The recent dustup is USPA offering gobs of pro am style meet money prompting a number of top USAPL guys and let's be honest, the best PL's in the world for the most part, (greatest number per class) are in USAPL to take the ban and come steal some drug pig's lunch money.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:08 pm

I did 4-5 USAPL meets and 2-3 APF meets (1 APA I think)...seriously, the USAPL officials...including the meet directors and judges, just had shitty attitudes. Not to mention all the other fuckery that PL alludes to. And this was local type shit.

A meet director in Midland didn't let a guy compete because his brother was on the banned list...flat out sent back his application and check uncashed.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:06 pm

At least he didn't cash the check.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Boris

Post by Boris » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:47 am

Makes me feel a little more sympathetic towards people making gofundme pages.

I was never good enough to consider PL anyting other than a (sometimes expensive) hobby. If I had been good, I would have probably been pissed at the lack of support.

It's interesting that they mentioned swimming. Swimmers pay shitloads for team and membership fees (compared to what most PLers are probably paying). Generally teams foot the bill for athlete travel to big meets and that money comes from dues that the team collects and from meets that they promote/manage. If you're national level, you may get a small stipend from USA Swimming. Unless you are on a small, very local team, almost NO ONE is paying directly for their own freaking warm-ups.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:12 am

I have two atletes on ipf world teams. Its ridiculous.

Although I must say, dissing the masters is kind of bullshit. They are the ones most likely to pay their way to all of these events. They have the money and the time. if you want the support of one of your main money contributors, stop fucking with, and insulting, the masters lifters. (This is a common theme in USAPL).

FTR, I come from USAW,. I agree with a lot of what Max said.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:42 pm

The Jugglife? Motherfucker I can't believe I'm downloading this shit.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality