Anyone feeling unmotivated?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Anyone feeling unmotivated?

Post by syaigh » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:25 am

I'm right there with you.

Instead of a "plan", how about the do something everyday model?

works well when you're motivation is shot. Chop wood, go for a walk, do some kind of workout, chase women (or men), walk the dog, fill the wood rack, ride your bike, chase a taco truck, etc. Do it five days a week and you're way better off than wringing your hands because you've missed three days of your 6 day hard-core, back to badass, training cycle.

I'm kind of kidding but not. Something is better than nothing. I have noticed that despite not training for weeks at a time, my training journal has not come off the front page, much less dropped more than halfway down so lets get our heads out of our asses and get to work!

Just get moving and record what you're doing. If all you do is bone the wife (or yourself) write it down. Got to build some momentum from somewhere.

This is a motivational post, please get your asses in gear.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Re: Anyone feeling unmotivated?

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:46 am

I'm there. I'm not sure that it's unmotivated to train, but I've got other fish to fry that are occupying my sparse spare time. I ride my bike to work, so I get ~15-25 minutes of death defying cardio twice each weekday. But by the time I get home I just want to unwind any play some guitar or bullshit with the guys on the sportscar forums. I'm just holding steady right now hitting some bodyweight and some old school Hardstyle KB's alternated with the erg.

To try and break out of the this rut I've started some very easy running again. I hadn't run a step in over 2 years since I hurt my hip. Started with some run/walk this week. I've been feeling the urge to get outdoors, so maybe I can get my ass in gear if I can comfortably run pain free for 30 minutes a few times a week and keep up the BW and KB's .
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:11 am

My motivation far exceeds my connective tissue. What do you have for that?
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

newguy

Post by newguy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:15 am

I rarely lack motivation for movement. I love movement. Lifting. Walking. Swimming. Hiking. Yoga. Whatever. Motivation to move is almost never an issue.

The issue for me is where it come to "training." Training generally involves a plan directed to a goal. My usual MO is to either bounce around too much for anything to be effective or to go too far, too fast, then burn out and switch.

That is my thing this year. To try and keep the goal the goal...while still allowing for bouncing. Just bounce towards the big goal.
Last edited by newguy on Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:18 am

For me motivation is very ... circadian. I work out (can't honestly call it training anymore), if at all, first thing in the morning, starting at 5:30 or 6. During the summer months, I'm motivated out the ass. It's bright early; the air is warm; I'm ready to go without much prodding. During the winter months I'd rather sleep. My goal is to work out twice a week, and I've stuck to that so far, but it's been a struggle to do even that.

Lately I've been doing more or less what you recommended here. Whether I work out or not, whenever it's convenient and I think of it, I'll drop down and do 10-15 pushups. Some days I'll do a hundred or more. Some days I'll do ten. I figure it beats zero.

Old Mother
Staff Sergeant

Post by Old Mother » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Agreed.

I've been unmotivated as fuck for any type of weightlifting. I've decided to just go into the garage and do something. Anything. I can't seem to get myself up for anything traditional, but 1 handed DL's, 1 handed BB snatch and CL&j, strand pulling, and other assorted weird stuff seem quite doable.

I was thinking a USAWA meet might be fun and would give me something to look forward to.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:26 pm

Yeah, i hear you. I am usually lifting heavy this time of year to prep for whatever season im prepping for (running, throwing, etc). My plantar fasciitis, although getting better, is seriously limiting how much weight i lift, and the volume of cardio i do. I love having a date on the calendar to motivate me, but since i cant really do anything in earnest, im finding the "just do something" practice to be a challenge. But i think ive gotten into a rhythm with it and so its gotten easier. Reminds me how difficult it can be to get our exercise in when our everyday tasks are more pressing.

My youngest son has gotten a bit chubby so one of my motivations is to get him out doing sustained cardio (which he wants to do and has started to drop some lbs). Have to make time for that. Its heartbreaking to watch an 11 year old sobbing because of how he looks in his singlet. (Meet in 5 weeks). :(

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:46 pm

syaigh wrote:I love having a date on the calendar to motivate me, but since i cant really do anything in earnest, im finding the "just do something" practice to be a challenge.
this.

competition has always provided motivation, but like you (and bd, apparently), joints and tendons are unhappy, so "training" is indifferent, competition pointless, and a cold and bleak winter landscape greets me each day.

i still plug away, albeit erratically.

regarding your son, take the long view and perhaps walk (literally) but don't run (or not much), so he doesn't end up with overuse injuries, like the rest of us.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:12 pm

dead man walking wrote:
regarding your son, take the long view and perhaps walk (literally) but don't run (or not much), so he doesn't end up with overuse injuries, like the rest of us.
Yeah, we're going with walk the dog and go on some bike rides. We are exploring some if the newer greenways on bike or longboard which is pretty darn pleasant.

Like Alfred said, the mental benefits of being outside make it easier to repeat.

Maybe we need an igx challenge for frequency. I betcha just taking baby steps by just being active for a period of time every day and doing the same with diet (conscientious eating) would help all of us with our fat reduction more than trying to find reasons to grind ourselves into paste.

Boris

Post by Boris » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:07 pm

http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2008/11/mot ... rated.html

I've been following the "more often than not" training philosophy for the past couple of years and it has done all right by me. It needs more focus than that to really be a plan, but I've managed to maintain some things. I did something "strength training related" 267 out of 366 days in 2016. I hope to end 2017 with something close to that frequency wise.

I've been trying to write something up about "more often than not", but unfortunately the writing habit is something I've let slide and bringing it back is proving very difficult.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:19 pm

Boris wrote:http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2008/11/mot ... rated.html

I've been following the "more often than not" training philosophy for the past couple of years and it has done all right by me. It needs more focus than that to really be a plan, but I've managed to maintain some things. I did something "strength training related" 267 out of 366 days in 2016. I hope to end 2017 with something close to that frequency wise.

I've been trying to write something up about "more often than not", but unfortunately the writing habit is something I've let slide and bringing it back is proving very difficult.
Good stuff.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:26 pm

good thread... I lost my 'groove' due to travelling away in the autumn and have started down the quest for the perfect routine nonsense since being back. With no specific aims, just doing some sub maximal basics with some fun shit thrown in on a regular basis is all I need at the moment.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:48 pm

I can't remember a sustained period where I lacked motivation, until recently. Shoulder problems have turned most sessions into lengthy warmups and frustration, and I have no interest in competing and can't find any goals that motivate me enough to focus or stick to a diet or training plan.

So I've been drifting, and drinking too much too often.

To fix it, I've apparently been doing the "do something every day" program, I just didn't know it.

I've returned to an early alarm clock followed by some kind of activity. On good days, I lift weights per my plan. On crappy days, I just do some slow walking on the treadmill, something I haven't done in years, literally. But it's better than nothing and at least I'm up and moving.

The getting up early part also means I can't drink at night, and I also have to be more disciplined about getting to bed on time.

All good things. All good things.

On the flip side, I ate a 2 lb block of Velveeta over the past 24 hours and ran through a 12-pack of Samuel Adam's finest lager, and I don't feel too guilty about it. Not sure how this fits into the plan.

The problem is, it's too easy to do that and feels too good. Once you let the discipline slip, it's easy to keep on slipping.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:12 pm

Boris wrote:but unfortunately the writing habit is something I've let slide and bringing it back is proving very difficult.
the answer to that is shaf's e-book using ladders to improve your writing habits
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:27 pm

Everything ok Terrence?

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:59 pm

This is pretty much what I do now. BJJ gives me something to do most days. But my main issue is I don't really allow myself to suffer from lack of motivation so I truck along and start feeling like dogshit and realize oh hell I haven't had a rest day in a while. Now I just take random days off for family stuff or to just relax. Not drinking and eating fairly disciplined gives me a lot of slack to play with. I've been eating a bit more sweets than normal and haven't put on more than a pound or two.

Your youngest needs to realize a few very important things. 1. He is a water buffalo in a family of gazelles. 2. There's nothing wrong with being different. 2. A bigger belly is a bigger squat. That's just science. Plus once he hits puberty I think he's going to be a tank.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:28 am

I've come off a couple of pretty disciplined years. Lots of stuff has been hurting. Am doing something almost every day and am working to find a new groove.

It upsets the hell out of me because I've been convinced that age is catching up with me. It's really a chance to exercise some stoic fatalism and Constructive living "do the next thing" type of living. That's more important to my development than moving some number of reps or pounds though I'll continue to pursue new goals.

Instead of being angry about the minor things that are wrong, I need to be smart, persistent, and focus on having fun. It'll all work out fine, rushing forward some times and barely inching forward others.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:28 am

Need some youngsters in here running around doing crazy stupid shit. Force us to keep up.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:28 am

Need some youngsters in here running around doing crazy stupid shit. Force us to keep up.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:31 am

TerryB wrote:I can't remember a sustained period where I lacked motivation, until recently. Shoulder problems have turned most sessions into lengthy warmups and frustration, and I have no interest in competing and can't find any goals that motivate me enough to focus or stick to a diet or training plan.

So I've been drifting, and drinking too much too often.

To fix it, I've apparently been doing the "do something every day" program, I just didn't know it.

I've returned to an early alarm clock followed by some kind of activity. On good days, I lift weights per my plan. On crappy days, I just do some slow walking on the treadmill, something I haven't done in years, literally. But it's better than nothing and at least I'm up and moving.

The getting up early part also means I can't drink at night, and I also have to be more disciplined about getting to bed on time.

All good things. All good things.

On the flip side, I ate a 2 lb block of Velveeta over the past 24 hours and ran through a 12-pack of Samuel Adam's finest lager, and I don't feel too guilty about it. Not sure how this fits into the plan.

The problem is, it's too easy to do that and feels too good. Once you let the discipline slip, it's easy to keep on slipping.
Ian, you'll need this after all that cheese.
th (11).jpg
th (11).jpg (18.68 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
Louis Armstrong was a fan.
Armstrong16746photoW.jpg
Armstrong16746photoW.jpg (117.92 KiB) Viewed 4712 times

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:27 am

Holland Oates wrote: Plus once he hits puberty I think he's going to be a tank.
Yes, he is.
Has he been introduced to rugby yet?
Last year I missed all of December (work) and January (sick, unmotivated). This year I've dodged it. And if I don't get to the gym, I end up walking 4-6 miles anyway.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm just short of 3.5 years of running at least a mile/day. There's no motivation involved, I simply run every day. At the beginning I was only running a mile/day. Now the average is about 2.7 miles/day. Until my current bout of bronchitis I also had a 100 mile/month streak going for 11 months. The bronchitis killed that but I have been able to keep the daily mile going. Again, no motivation is required. This is for my health.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Been basically unmotivated since my divorce.
Joined a commercial gym and force myself to work out a few times a week, however I find that ego gets in the way there sometimes. Especially squatting.
I spend a lot more time at work now.
Maybe warm weather will help.
On the bright side I dont eat bad and I rarely drink.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:52 pm

As someone who is motivated, at least to exercise, maybe sharing what my mindset is will help someone.

First, I love to go surfing. It's fun, I like a lot of the people that do it, it's time in nature, etc. I don't really need any motivation, because it is enjoyable.

Secondly, whether true or not, I've convinced myself that everything I do in the gym helps my surfing. I'm not sure if it's bullshit, but every single rep/exercise/workout I do I feel has a corresponding relation to surfing better. I also love exercising, and keep my workouts relatively short.

Long story short - I love working out, I love my non-gym activity. Love is the answer, nama fucking ste.
"When times are good be grateful, when times are tough be graceful."

Chris McClinch
Sarge

Post by Chris McClinch » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:08 pm

"Do something every day" and "discipline trumps motivation" are the closest thing there is to a secret.