Anyone feeling unmotivated?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Anyone feeling unmotivated?

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:22 pm

Chris McClinch wrote:"Do something every day" and "discipline trumps motivation" are the closest thing there is to a secret.
When I had my injury and string ofsurgerie started, I struggled initially to deal with not not training. But then I began to enjoy the break. Then I looked forward to getting back. Now as I work back it is actually very tough on days to be motivated to lift weights that were less than my warmups. Doing prehab and rehab is lonely, boring, and unfulfilling.

Luckily for as long as I can remember I have relied on discipline. I train not because it is who I am but it is just what I do. To sort of paraphrase "Dodgeball", you can train with a broken heart but not a pulled hamstring. Show up and do the work. Some days you rock it, and some days you just do just your warmup. But you show up. And 15-25 mins in the body and heart show up. Or not.

Press on.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Boris

Post by Boris » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:26 pm

For me, it's really all about building training into your daily routine.

Easier to do when you're a kid without responsibilities + tons of discretionary time + scheduled team practices + your parents/family/team are your support structure.

Harder for adults with family/work/social obligations. Make it an every day thing. Doesn't have to be a huge time commitment, but do something every day. Maybe it's just stretching, or 50 push-ups, or warm-up sets, but something.

If you skip a day (and you will), try very hard not to let it turn into two days off, because two easily turns into three days, a week, a month....

Chris McClinch
Sarge

Post by Chris McClinch » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:37 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:Show up and do the work. Some days you rock it, and some days you just do just your warmup. But you show up. And 15-25 mins in the body and heart show up. Or not.
The genius of "show up, warm up, go home" as a viable plan B cannot be overstated.

newguy

Post by newguy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:18 pm

Reading everything you are all writing, I am feeling this might be where "recreational" guys like me have a bit of a long-term advantage over "amateur/professional competitors."

For me, training has never revolved around a competition or calendar date. (I don't compete in anything.) The motivation for training is just the enjoyment of doing the activity. It's why I never really get when you guys talk about "just show up and do the work." When I hear that, it's like, yeah. What else would I be doing.

But if your training has revolved around the high's of a comp, I can see how it would be a tough transition.

If I were any of you trying to get the mojo back, I would focus on the attitude of play. Not just show up and do work. Not the attitude of "do something every day." Just play.

Do things you like for a while (a year.) Take a karate class. Walk. Skip. Do some tumbling. Find things you enjoy and just do this. Do some city walks. Bodybuild for awhile. Rediscover the joy of movement. Get out of the do X for Y mindset and just do X because it is fun.

Curls and pub walks. There. That is your year. Work your arms and train up to a 15 mile pub walk. 6 stops minimum.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:08 pm

newguy wrote:
Curls and pub walks. There. That is your year. Work your arms and train up to a 15 mile pub walk. 6 stops minimum.

Have named myself a Master IGx instructor on this. Cert to follow.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

newguy

Post by newguy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:11 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:
newguy wrote:

Have named myself a Master IGx instructor on this. Cert to follow.
:drinkers: :partyman: \:D/

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:26 am

newguy wrote:Reading everything you are all writing, I am feeling this might be where "recreational" guys like me have a bit of a long-term advantage over "amateur/professional competitors."

For me, training has never revolved around a competition or calendar date. (I don't compete in anything.) The motivation for training is just the enjoyment of doing the activity. It's why I never really get when you guys talk about "just show up and do the work." When I hear that, it's like, yeah. What else would I be doing.

But if your training has revolved around the high's of a comp, I can see how it would be a tough transition.

If I were any of you trying to get the mojo back, I would focus on the attitude of play. Not just show up and do work. Not the attitude of "do something every day." Just play.

Do things you like for a while (a year.) Take a karate class. Walk. Skip. Do some tumbling. Find things you enjoy and just do this. Do some city walks. Bodybuild for awhile. Rediscover the joy of movement. Get out of the do X for Y mindset and just do X because it is fun.

Great post. I just love to lift. I suck at it. Everything I am naturally good at I find boring. Really no point in me competing for anything. I just like to fuck around in the gym and bullshit. I work too hard for my pathetic genetics but who cares?

And Brooks et al can throw themselves out a window for hating on curls and bb'ing. Caused a lot of injuries and made lifiting dull for most everyone.

And PS I am legit good at a few things so I know the difference between being lazy and being terrible.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:41 am

bennyonesix wrote:
And Brooks et al can throw themselves out a window for hating on curls and bb'ing. Caused a lot of injuries and made lifiting dull for most everyone.
I wish Brooks/Justa et al hadn't taken themselves so seriously. I mean, sandbag snatches, tossing rocks, wearing 200 lb. chainmail vests, 1-inch lifts with 900 lbs of scrap metal -- that shit's goofy as fuck. If they had positioned it as "do your squats and presses, then when you get burned out doing that, here's a nice tonic; some silly, fun things to do that still require and demonstrate strength," then cool. But no, it had to be so fucking HRNGGRHGHG REAL MAN

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:48 am

Ricky Bruch likes curls.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:50 am

I've had issues ever since the youngest son was diagnosed with the brain tumor.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:27 am

Vince Gironda has your answer Steven.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:06 am

Secretive gay sex?

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:07 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I've had issues ever since the youngest son was diagnosed with the brain tumor.
Yep. I like to lift and it fascinates me. But it doesn't matter a whole lot on the big scheme of things.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:32 am

powerlifter54 wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I've had issues ever since the youngest son was diagnosed with the brain tumor.
Yep. I like to lift and it fascinates me. But it doesn't matter a whole lot on the big scheme of things.

This morning I had a knee that was being a cunt and a swollen quad still talking to me and my kids were begging me to go cross country skiing. I REALLY REALLY wanted to pass until I had that moment where I thought...if it was the last stage of a two week race or the final lift at worlds, would I puss out? Fuck no. Then get off your ass old man.

Showing up and hammering through an ill advised day in the snow with my daughter is more important than anything else I can do with this raggedy meatsuit. Doesn't matter how dearly we hone our competitive spirit, the only reason you evolved to have one is the care and feeding of those little people.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:41 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:the only reason you evolved to have one is the care and feeding of those little people.
you and I must have very different genetics
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:17 am

TerryB wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:the only reason you evolved to have one is the care and feeding of those little people.
you and I must have very different genetics
Your overall weak performance on all fronts should have illuminated that.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:49 am

A T O M I C
T
O
M
I
C

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:21 am

:bruvcry
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:35 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Secretive gay sex?
2424246-6682530047-Baghd.jpg
2424246-6682530047-Baghd.jpg (22.05 KiB) Viewed 4695 times

Chris McClinch
Sarge

Post by Chris McClinch » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:47 pm

I can only imagine. I know I've gone from training to working out (and often barely) over the time my wife has been sick.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Staying physically young, moving and feeling well, and riding trails for as long as I possibly can is what motivates me to do something most everyday. And vanity.

dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice

Post by dingleberry » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:45 pm

I've had the blahs since July.

Got asked to participate on a team for a 200 mile running relay. The horror of letting the team down has gotten me out and running no matter what the weather. I don't need to be the best just not the worst.
nafod wrote:I do find I am spending more and more time in the bathroom in the morning, just staring at myself and wondering if I am pretty.

Boris

Post by Boris » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:46 pm

newguy wrote:Reading everything you are all writing, I am feeling this might be where "recreational" guys like me have a bit of a long-term advantage over "amateur/professional competitors."

Just to be clear, if I didn't like training/working out, I wouldn't be doing it. Enjoying it is (generally speaking) a given for me. The way you feel when you hear "just show up and do the work" is how I feel when I hear "do it because it's fun".

Boris

Post by Boris » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Chris McClinch wrote:
I can only imagine. I know I've gone from training to working out (and often barely) over the time my wife has been sick.
Calling my time in the gym "training" is probably stretching things.... a lot.

terra

Post by terra » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:14 am

Great Thread and perfect timing.

I have been ruminating on a very similar topic and came up with a similar conclusion.
Another, yes another BJJ injury last week had me barely able to walk (left T12/L1 facet sprain). This ongoing BJJ/injury theme makes it hard to get any momentum with a proper strength training cycle. My general fitness, strength, physique in general, and other activities are suffering. I'm seriously thinking of dropping my Gracie membership for 3 months to get back to a solid health/fitness/strength level. Will still practice a basic set of Gracie blue belt level drills with a friend to maintain muscle memory until I return.

Anyhow, regarding daily practice I came up with:
1) Do something(s) every day. Have a small but robust selection of daily practices to suit variations in weather, time, situation.
2) Let it be easy to do - Not 'easy' itself, but convenient/handy to go and start doing and it must be intrinsically enjoyable.
3) Do things that although they have no particular goal at the time, they support bigger desired outcomes in multiple major areas of life.

For instance, with a recovering bad back, this morning I decided to take my Kali fighting sticks to the beach (sand keeps my honest with footwork) and knock out a 45 minutes of fluid attack drills followed by a quick ocean swim. Convenient, helpful, fun.

In lieu of any other specific training, this will now become a goto early morning practice. One that can continue into the winter as I combine it with the Wim Hoff techniques and my own breathwork/meditation.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson