Anyone feeling unmotivated?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

newguy

Re: Anyone feeling unmotivated?

Post by newguy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 pm

Boris wrote:
newguy wrote:Reading everything you are all writing, I am feeling this might be where "recreational" guys like me have a bit of a long-term advantage over "amateur/professional competitors."

For me, training has never revolved around a competition or calendar date. (I don't compete in anything.) The motivation for training is just the enjoyment of doing the activity. It's why I never really get when you guys talk about "just show up and do the work." When I hear that, it's like, yeah. What else would I be doing.

Do things you like for a while (a year.) Take a karate class. Walk. Skip. Do some tumbling. Find things you enjoy and just do this. Do some city walks. Bodybuild for awhile. Rediscover the joy of movement. Get out of the do X for Y mindset and just do X because it is fun.
Just to be clear, if I didn't like training/working out, I wouldn't be doing it. Enjoying it is (generally speaking) a given for me. The way you feel when you hear "just show up and do the work" is how I feel when I hear "do it because it's fun".
Yup. I hear you. And I'm not advocating only doing things that are fun. Although you could do a lot worse, especially if you are burned out.

I don't know if sludging 40 minutes on the rower is actually fun, but I enjoy it. In some way.
"When I was little, my father was famous. He was the greatest samurai in the empire. And he was the Shogun's decapitator. He cut off the heads of a 131 Lords. It was a bad time for the empire."

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:58 pm

newguy wrote:I don't know if sludging 40 minutes on the rower is actually fun, but I enjoy it. In some way.
here's a fun session for you, newguy
Looking for a nice, light workout to do during winter break? Why not try the workout that Princeton freshman David Bewicke-Copley did last month: 100k erg, followed by running a marathon. Oh, and his split for the 100k was unofficially a world record!
erg pace 1.49.1/500

tell us how it goes

http://www.row2k.com/features/1013/row2 ... ke-Copley/
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:12 am

dead man walking wrote:
100k erg, followed by running a marathon. Oh, and his split for the 100k was unofficially a world record!
erg pace 1.49.1/500
DA FUQ?!?!?!?!?!?!
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:51 am

Looks psychotic tbqh
46163.jpg
46163.jpg (123.97 KiB) Viewed 3866 times

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:49 pm

100K at 1:49? Holy crap.

newguy

Post by newguy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:51 pm

dead man walking wrote:
newguy wrote:I don't know if sludging 40 minutes on the rower is actually fun, but I enjoy it. In some way.
here's a fun session for you, newguy
Looking for a nice, light workout to do during winter break? Why not try the workout that Princeton freshman David Bewicke-Copley did last month: 100k erg, followed by running a marathon. Oh, and his split for the 100k was unofficially a world record!
erg pace 1.49.1/500

tell us how it goes

http://www.row2k.com/features/1013/row2 ... ke-Copley/
Next igx challenge?
"When I was little, my father was famous. He was the greatest samurai in the empire. And he was the Shogun's decapitator. He cut off the heads of a 131 Lords. It was a bad time for the empire."

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:41 pm

Have been feeling like ass all week. Monday an abortion. Lots of stuff from my bag of tricks and today was way better physically. But my brain wants to quit because it is frustrating and uncomfortable pushing through adhesions during workouts. Realized I am 4 weeks in. Need a back off, but my inner voice just quietly said "that just went well let's press".

So the good news is my inner voice has stopped being such a pussy. Bad news is train or die ghosts are dangerous.

So again I do what I need to do on schedule and do not let the pussy on my left shoulder or the Barbarian on my right shoulder drive what I do. I lay it out and then show and do it. Want to is ignored. I follow the plan, I pay attention to the warmups, and I leave some in the tank.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:55 pm

I know I've had my issues with these erg times and I've been told they're real but I'm struggling with believing this.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:27 am

there's a screen shot of the row, so either it's real or he hacked the monitor.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:18 am

powerlifter54 wrote:Have been feeling like ass all week. Monday an abortion. Lots of stuff from my bag of tricks and today was way better physically. But my brain wants to quit because it is frustrating and uncomfortable pushing through adhesions during workouts. Realized I am 4 weeks in. Need a back off, but my inner voice just quietly said "that just went well let's press".

So the good news is my inner voice has stopped being such a pussy. Bad news is train or die ghosts are dangerous.

So again I do what I need to do on schedule and do not let the pussy on my left shoulder or the Barbarian on my right shoulder drive what I do. I lay it out and then show and do it. Want to is ignored. I follow the plan, I pay attention to the warmups, and I leave some in the tank.
This is crazy talk. You will never underachieve on my level acting like this. Disgusting.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:19 am

Shapecharge wrote:I know I've had my issues with these erg times and I've been told they're real but I'm struggling with believing this.
Look at his expression. He is obviously some kind of serial killer.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:30 am

bennyonesix wrote:
powerlifter54 wrote:Have been feeling like ass all week. Monday an abortion. Lots of stuff from my bag of tricks and today was way better physically. But my brain wants to quit because it is frustrating and uncomfortable pushing through adhesions during workouts. Realized I am 4 weeks in. Need a back off, but my inner voice just quietly said "that just went well let's press".

This is crazy talk. You will never underachieve on my level acting like this. Disgusting.
Monday I underachieved. It happens. I even tried it a second time to make sure I was off as I thought...dumb move btw. The trick is to avoid continuing to underachieve next workout by ending your current underachievement. No volume punishment. No AMRAP sets at a lower weight. No psyching up to do a gym lift. Just leave and go eat.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:47 am

I can't even...

The one thing I cannot do is be mature about training.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:46 am

bennyonesix wrote:I can't even...

the second thing you cannot do is be interesting.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:12 am

TerryB wrote:

He said "the one thing" not "the first thing".

:dunce

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:24 pm

dead man walking wrote:there's a screen shot of the row, so either it's real or he hacked the monitor.
I know, I saw it. And I have no reason to doubt this kid. It's just hard to grasp that someone rowed 62 FUCKING MILES AT 1:49/500. I didn't see what his time was for the marathon. If it was under three hours I'm going to go over to my neighbor's house and kick their dog 'cause I don't have one any more.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:36 pm

rowing at 1.49, he did the marathon in about 2hrs 40mins.

i feel bad for the dog.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:15 pm

You have got to be bullshiting DMW...fuck, I give up. Can we count on the possibility I've turned down more pussy than this kid will ever get? Can I at least have that for fuck's sake?!?

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:19 pm

shape, this kid is too busy putting salve on the sores on his ass to score pussy.

you win!

p.s. can you spare the dog?

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:39 pm

You talked me down DMW, no boot to the pup.

This thing has weirded me out. So I see a video of a guy benching 500 for 10 reps and that's most definitely impressive and I'd never be able to do that. Sure I bench, a single for half that. And I know I'll never be able to get even close to that and that's cool with me. But I've been fucking with that rower for nearly 30 years...now I have not "dedicated" myself to the erg but I have put a lot of time on it from a fitness standpoint and I can't even grasp what this kid did then add the marathon at nearly 6 minute pace after 62 miles on the erg...it's un-fucking-believable really. Well I hope we hear about this kid doing some crazy shit on the water and at the CRASH-B.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:27 am

oops. i fucked up shape.

i was thinking the marathon time for the row, not the run.

don't know his run time, but i'm gonna see if i can track it down

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:23 am

his marathon run was 3.54, according to his rowing coach.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:22 pm

Beer Jew wrote:
TerryB wrote:

Thanks, professor.

:nobody :point :factoid
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Boris

Post by Boris » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:30 am

Wrote something up on the "More Often Than Not" philosophy - check it out if interested: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2017/01/mor ... art-i.html

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:10 am

TerryB wrote:
Beer Jew wrote:
TerryB wrote:

Thanks, professor.

:nobody :point :factoid
You know I ignore you.