Five year-old wants to exercise with me

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Five year-old wants to exercise with me

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:26 pm

My very recently five year-old daughter has been saying that she wants to exercise with me. I thought she would forget about it, but she's brought it up a couple of times now. So I told her we could give it a shot and see if she likes it.

So: I'm pretty sure she doesn't really understand what exercise means. I doubt she'll stick with it. But I feel like I ought to give it an honest shot; see if I can come up with something sufficiently play-like that she'll enjoy it.

I know there are youth yoga classes, dance classes, fucking Crossfit, whatever, but she specifically says that this is something she wants to do with me. So...uh, any tips? If she were an adult or even a teenager I'd have a decent idea of where to start (FMS screen and turkish getups, obviously) but I'm really out of my element here. I'm not trying to get her jakt, but again, if I can introduce her to physical exercise in a way that's play-like and fun for her, and that she'll stick with, I think that'd be great.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Five year-old wants to exercise with me

Post by johno » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:32 pm

Hitting the weight pile could be difficult. But mobility work, crawling, balancing, chasing, hiking, dancing, tossing & catching, prancercising...all could be on the agenda for your recovery days.

She wants to do what you do. What do you do?
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:42 pm

johno wrote:
She wants to do what you do. What do you do?
Fuck all.

atm I work out in the garage. I have two shitty kettlebells, a suspension trainer, a med ball, and an ab wheel. I warm up, then I string together some combination of presses, rows, dips, swings, gob squats and ab stuff until I run out of time. I can't imagine she'd find it all that entertaining.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:48 pm

Bike rides, hikes, climb trees, trampoline center, play catch, swimming, indoor climbing, plus dance classes and yoga like you said.

Finding stuff she loves and, if possible, you both love would be great.

Maybe a mini routine of knee Pushups, light abs and some easy leg exercise like step ups for 10-15 minutes 2-3x a week as well.
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:00 pm

My kids have been playing with me in the weight room since they were teeny.

They definitely need supervision, but circuits are a great way to start. They are good at climbing at that age so holding them up to do pullups (or setting up a low bar or rings) is good. Pushups, squats, deadlifts with a light kettlebell, and doing snatched with a broomstick are always fun. My kids LOVED measuring how far they could jump. They'd mark a starting line on the floor and try and outjump each other. They'd mark their jumps with chalk. So, that would be the warm-up and then I'd let them do a little circuit or just play on the rings. Just get her in there, she'll want to copy you, you'll figure out a safe version of what you're doing and hilarity will ensue. :)

This is a useful guide: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-vLVY ... sp=sharing
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:53 pm

Awesome, tyvm!

Chris McClinch
Sarge

Post by Chris McClinch » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:55 pm

My daughter (four) and I will basically practice movement. She thinks it's funny when I do a front or back roll. We'll do a little tumbling, a little boxing, a little yoga, and a LOT of wrestling around. She also likes picking up and holding dumbbells and medicine balls, and will occasionally try and lift the kettlebell.

Boris

Post by Boris » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:24 pm

If I could do it all over again, I'd have let my kid come to the gym more with me when he was young even though he was too young...

If I could do it all over again, I'd have a fun workout with him and call it a day whenever he got bored, and then do more later for myself if needed.

You hear every parent say the time passes too quickly - it's true.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:11 am

My girl from that age forward has always liked running/hiking/exploring in the woods. A half hour to 45 minute blitz of running in a woodsy setting is good for everyone's health...mental more than anything. Bonus round, run at night with headlamps...kids love that shit.,
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:57 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:My girl from that age forward has always liked running/hiking/exploring in the woods. A half hour to 45 minute blitz of running in a woodsy setting is good for everyone's health...mental more than anything. Bonus round, run at night with headlamps...kids love that shit.,
Everything is better at night with headlamps. MTB takes on a whole new dimension on a night trail ride.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:14 pm

I spent time at the playground yesterday with a 7 y.o. It was cold & no one else was there so I was free to play with him. Everything we did was fun for both of us and he didn't notice when we were working on babance, fear of heights, and thinking outside the box.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:04 pm

I built a climbing wall in my garage. Both my girls love it.
My littlest (7) can nail a half dozen pullups already
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

newguy

Post by newguy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:22 pm

When my girl was little she liked to go into the garage and "work out" when I did.

I set up my bench and some mats and she would climb and jump. I tied some bands to some kbs and she would pull them. She liked to get in the band and "run" against it. I had a couple of 1 pound weights. I also put some of her toys in there. She would come in and "workout" but really just play in the garage for an hour while I did my thing.

Every so often I would make her stop and count my reps.
"When I was little, my father was famous. He was the greatest samurai in the empire. And he was the Shogun's decapitator. He cut off the heads of a 131 Lords. It was a bad time for the empire."

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:27 am

The Great Santini is a great movie if you need some pointers on making this work.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:52 am

syaigh wrote:My kids LOVED measuring how far they could jump. They'd mark a starting line on the floor and try and outjump each other. They'd mark their jumps with chalk. So, that would be the warm-up and then I'd let them do a little circuit or just play on the rings.
This was the best call. We did a bunch of standing broad jumps and standing triple jumps, and she enjoyed the hell out of that. Then she started making up increasingly complicated combinations of jumping and skipping: "OK. Dada. First you're going to do ... mmm... two jumps. Then you're going to turn around. Then you're going to do one jump back. Then you're going to turn around again. Then you're going to skip to the end of the driveway. Then you're going to do two jumps, then two skips, then two jumps, then two skips, until you're aaaaaaall the way back. Got that Dada?"
This is excellent, but she's still a little young for it. Her proprioception is not well developed (she is not a natural athlete; neither were her mom or I), so getting her to do pushups, bodyweight squats, etc. was going to take a lot of work. I probably could have made it happen, but then it would've stopped being fun for both of us. Jumping, on the other hand -- there wasn't anything to "fix." Tell her to jump as far as she can, and she naturally got herself into a good position to jump.

She says that she had fun, and that she wants to do it again next weekend, so that's probably about as good a result as I could've hoped for. We'll just play around with the jumps; if she picks up other stuff along the way, cool; if not, that's cool too.

Thanks again, y'all :)

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:33 am

Bud Charniga's grape ape wrote:
syaigh wrote:My kids LOVED measuring how far they could jump. They'd mark a starting line on the floor and try and outjump each other. They'd mark their jumps with chalk. So, that would be the warm-up and then I'd let them do a little circuit or just play on the rings.
This was the best call. We did a bunch of standing broad jumps and standing triple jumps, and she enjoyed the hell out of that. Then she started making up increasingly complicated combinations of jumping and skipping: "OK. Dada. First you're going to do ... mmm... two jumps. Then you're going to turn around. Then you're going to do one jump back. Then you're going to turn around again. Then you're going to skip to the end of the driveway. Then you're going to do two jumps, then two skips, then two jumps, then two skips, until you're aaaaaaall the way back. Got that Dada?"
This is excellent, but she's still a little young for it. Her proprioception is not well developed (she is not a natural athlete; neither were her mom or I), so getting her to do pushups, bodyweight squats, etc. was going to take a lot of work. I probably could have made it happen, but then it would've stopped being fun for both of us. Jumping, on the other hand -- there wasn't anything to "fix." Tell her to jump as far as she can, and she naturally got herself into a good position to jump.

She says that she had fun, and that she wants to do it again next weekend, so that's probably about as good a result as I could've hoped for. We'll just play around with the jumps; if she picks up other stuff along the way, cool; if not, that's cool too.

Thanks again, y'all :)
Thats great. :) at her age, jumping, climbing, and twirling will probably be her main activities. You guys should practice some handstands together and you'll need to schedule some tree climbing. :)
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:25 am

6 years old :)

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:26 pm

My youngest daughter is into sports but my son hasn't really gotten into them, which is odd since I played every sport imaginable growing up and in school. What he does love is going "exploring" in the woods. I need to do this with him a lot more often. Even if it means I don't get to ride that day. They both have worked out with me some in the past but it never becomes a regular thing. I need to encourage this more. They do enjoy playing on my rings as well.

I'll have to get some headlamps for them and go at night sometime!
Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:My girl from that age forward has always liked running/hiking/exploring in the woods. A half hour to 45 minute blitz of running in a woodsy setting is good for everyone's health...mental more than anything. Bonus round, run at night with headlamps...kids love that shit.,
Everything is better at night with headlamps. MTB takes on a whole new dimension on a night trail ride.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Bud Charniga's grape ape wrote: This was the best call. We did a bunch of standing broad jumps and standing triple jumps, and she enjoyed the hell out of that. Then she started making up increasingly complicated combinations of jumping and skipping: "OK. Dada. First you're going to do ... mmm... two jumps. Then you're going to turn around. Then you're going to do one jump back. Then you're going to turn around again. Then you're going to skip to the end of the driveway. Then you're going to do two jumps, then two skips, then two jumps, then two skips, until you're aaaaaaall the way back. Got that Dada?"
Sounds like fun. Sounds like you have the template to throw in pretty much anything you want (and are willing to do yourself). "Okay, lets try two jumps, a hop, a squat, 3 skips, a burpee, 2 pirouettes, pick up the brick and run with it to that tree, then crab walk coming back."

terra

Post by terra » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:18 am

Just grab things from Gymnastics, circus, the Animal Flow(?) type of stuff with lizard walks and other quadruped movements (<-- also good for her growing brain)... Even that 'acro yoga' stuff where you hold her up, great for trust and bonding (attachment/security).

Keep it simple and make it fun. It's great that you have a little one that wants to train with you - a blessing, very cool.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:31 pm

DrDonkeyLove wrote:I spent time at the playground yesterday with a 7 y.o.
Definitely just go to the playground if there is one nearby, and make stuff up.

I have one near my house, and for years I've been going over there for a basic bodyweight workout (dips, pullups, crossing the monkey bar, lunges, pushups) and bringing my kid for cover so people don't think I'm the local playground creep. We make up fun challenges and stuff. He beats me at crawling through small holes.
Don’t believe everything you think.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:36 am

No one has asked the most salient question: What's her Fran time?
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:45 am

Shame is the best motivator.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:50 am

I like this thread b/c it remind me of my three kids 7-13. All have different abilities that we enjoy, from running hills effortlessly to skateboarding and snowboarding. Very cute when they want to train. We do a few freesquats, push-ups, chins in good form- all very easy and fun. Things that make you develop some sense of your body, and that your dad is a fat balding bastard

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:54 pm

There was a large young black guy (read kinda fat) who was trying to do barstarz type stuff on the playground nearby...he went to jump up on this fake log and his feet slid out and he landed draped over it. I haven't seen him back since.