Buying a Concept 2 rower. Looking for advice.

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Buying a Concept 2 rower. Looking for advice.

Post by Ryan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:39 pm

I'm finally planning on biting the bullet and getting a C2 rower. I've been looking on Craigslist and wondering about the older models.

How are the B (which they stopped making in 1993) & C (stopped making in 2003) models? These seem to be in the price range I'm looking for and I know they tend to hold up well, but I'd like some opinions from the forum members.

Thanks.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Buying a Concept 2 rower. Looking for advice.

Post by Shapecharge » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:22 pm

I had the Model B for about 14 years and a Model C for about 10...someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember any difference in the monitors. The model B had the more open cage around the flywheel with two cogs that you had to physically move the chain depending on what feel you were going for. The B also had the wooden footrest and you had little adjustment. Both still bulletproof. I'd opt for the C just because it's perhaps had shorter use time but there's no way to know that for sure. I think the noise on the B was a little more but both still loud...at least compared to the model E now.

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnDoe » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:24 pm

Avoid the B. It's much 'heavier' and you can only control the load by manually changing which sprocket the chain is on with your finger while it's stopped (most don't even realize that). It also blows air at you, which I never liked. And the footstretcher is worse. And the monitor is too. And it's loud, but in a more annoying way. That said, I do like to have one B on hand for coaching- you jam a screwdriver or wrench in the fan and get the athlete to lift the but 1/2" off the seat to feel the suspension that's so important in on the water rowing.

The C is great and is virtually the same as the D and E. Plus, you can add on anything. I picked a C up when my college team upgraded in '99 and it's now got the D/E handle, monitor, wheels, sprocket, chain, PM4, bungee, and a few other bells and whistles. Hell, you can even replace the top of the rail.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:30 am

I have owned a D for several years after having owned a B and then a C. I was lucky in that I bought them all from CraigsList. The 2 upgrade purchases required minimal additional $ the first time and nothing the second time as I was, in both instances able to sell the old units for about what I found the new units for.

Notwithstanding my excellent experience with used models, at this point unless I found one readily on CraigsList or I was just way too strapped for cash, I'd just buy a new D.. The Concept rowers are so well built and they're an excellent value, especially compared to treadmills, etc.

Yes, you can upgrade every nut and bolt on a C to make it a De Facto D. If you love tinkering and "owning" the erg b/c you disassembled and reassembled it, etc., then you should go that route. However, if that is not you, or, and I might be wrong on this but it is my impression, there is something about sitting on a new erg that feels so pristine and smooth compared to an older machine, that it is just so worth a few hundred extra bucks that you're going to amortize over years anyway, I say treat yourself to new.

FWIW, when you own your own, you get to keep that excellent condition indefinitely with minimal maintenance, as opposed to the crappy, clunky feel some abused and poorly maintained units get in commercial settings. That predictable, consistent smooth feeling, along with being able to get on it anytime, are such nice features of ownership.

(I've enjoyed numerous TV series on DVD, just finished Season 5 Homeland this past weekend. I look forward to this time.)

Row well and live Ryan :-)
Last edited by Cayenne on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:31 am

I've had the C for 8 years. Had some great big fat people (350 lbs) use it regularly, no breakdown. Its a fucking genius piece of equipment.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Tirofijo
Sarge

Post by Tirofijo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:00 am

I hate paying retail and love buying used so I tried to buy one on Craigslist for about a week. But I lived in a wealthy metropolitan area and the decent ones either sold for close to retail or were snatched up in minutes it seems.

I ended up buying new for $900 shipped. Christians Fitness Factory. They can't advertise their price on the website so you have to call. Beats having to deal with flaky Craigslist sellers and then driving across town to pick a used one up for $750.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:32 am

Avoid the B unless you want it purely for a bit of fun. The B looks cool and industrial though.

A good condition C can be made into an as new machine for not much if you're in the US. Quiet kit and new shock cords will replace almost all of the working parts.

Avoid anything that has been kept outside or in an even slightly damp garage as moisture will kill the monitor.

I have read that a PM2 monitor likely won't last very long if it's still working at all. The PM2+ though will last a lifetime if it hasn't had leaky batteries at any point. I believe some of the older PM3 monitors are dying out now. They upgraded them in around 2008.

The PM4 monitor is almost perfect. Easy to connect HR monitor wirelessly, memory card is very reliable and the batteries will last forever.

The PM5 is only worth bothering with if you want to erg in a dark room or want to connect to a phone or iPad to run ErgData or other apps. The USB memory is an absolute fail as it only works with really old low capacity USB sticks else it will drain the battery fast and lose workouts often.

cimes
Sgt. Major

Post by cimes » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:37 pm

I like the pm5 for the very reason of being able to upload right from the phone. The connection on the pm4 became faulty as did the card reader. of course it was 9 years old so can't complain.

I hardly use a laptop for anything. So the pm5 has been awesome.
"I predict that within the next couple years he will author a Dragon Door book possibly with Pavel called "Return to the Kettlebell"" -Sandman on Rant

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:16 pm

cimes wrote:I like the pm5 for the very reason of being able to upload right from the phone. The connection on the pm4 became faulty as did the card reader. of course it was 9 years old so can't complain.

I find it frustrating that you have to run ErgData during every workout though to be able to upload to the logbook. I really wish you could just sync your phone up to the PM5 and upload all your recent workouts once a week or so.

I use my PM5 without a USB stick or erg data as it will store about 1000 workouts in its internal memory. For me the best solution is to take a pic of the summary screen after ever workout using instagram, so it uploads instantly and as I don't use instagram for anything else, I have a really easy to track visual of every session - really easy to scroll through and compare sessions.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:18 pm

But I forgot to say, my point above was if you're going to buy a used machine don't stress too much about getting one with the PM5 as they are not hundreds of dollars better than the PM3 or 4

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnDoe » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:37 pm

Funded college teams turn their machines over fairly regularly too. It may be worth looking there if you're near a team.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:48 pm

JohnDoe wrote:Funded college teams turn their machines over fairly regularly too. It may be worth looking there if you're near a team.
Also it is the Crash Bs soon isn't it? I think you can buy the competition machines that have been used for only a few hours for $100 less or so? Not sure if you may need to be close to pick up yourself. Worth looking into maybe and they do the same at a lot of other competitions too.

One more thing I just thought about....

I initially had a 2010 model D with PM4 monitor. I bought it used at a massive bargain $300 AUD from a guy who had barely used it and it was essentially mint condition, though as it had sat almost completely unused for 6 years it needed a quick once over and the flywheel bearing needed some grease as it was a little noisy.

Then I saw a massive bargain on a 2016 black model d with PM5 for $1100 AUD, so I agreed to buy it and sold mine for the same amount that day. So I effectively have a brand new machine and it only cost me $300!

BUT it turns out even though this newer machine only had 40,000m on it in a year, done in 5 minute workouts over a couple of months and then left untouched for another 10 months, in that short use they had never cleaned the rail, so the rollers are actually pitted from rolling over built up dust and sweat, AND some fat fuck has either jumped onto or sat sideways or something on the seat and bent the brackets slightly enough to make the seat wobble a few mm each way.

So even though I have cleaned the slide and rollers every day they still aren't as good as new and the rollers need replacing, as do the seat brackets. Not a big deal but a pain in the ass and what should be a perfect machine is slightly flawed.

Now I can't remember what my original point was.

Keep an eye out several times a day as bargains do come up - all sorts of people buy them with good intentions then never use them. They are big and get in the way so some just want rid of them quickly.

You could buy a perfect 15 year old one or a mistreated near new one so be a bit careful... but the worst that will happen is you'll need to replace a few parts.

Unfortunately the parts are not as cheap here in Aus.

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:18 pm

One of the few pieces of equipment actually worth the money. I bought a D approx 2008, I weigh 3 bills, I use it at least 3 times a week, it's like new.

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnDoe » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:33 pm

aussie luke wrote:
JohnDoe wrote:Funded college teams turn their machines over fairly regularly too. It may be worth looking there if you're near a team.
Also it is the Crash Bs soon isn't it? I think you can buy the competition machines that have been used for only a few hours for $100 less or so? Not sure if you may need to be close to pick up yourself. Worth looking into maybe and they do the same at a lot of other competitions too.
True. Lots of the indoor races sell their machines and there are tons of them. Typically they are at cost, minus shipping. So that means maybe 20k max from the one day of racing. There are a decent number of races- more than actually show up here:

http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/racing/calendar

A few of my previous clubs would bring 20-30 new ergs in and sell them immediately.

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:22 pm

This is useful. Thank you.

I've been keeping my eyes open, but man they go quick. I live fairly close to Philly and New York, so I should hopefully find something soon.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:03 pm

Hey, when you get time pick me up one of those Philly cheesesteak things when you're in Philly. Thanks.

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Pat's or Geno's?

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:31 pm

Pat's or Geno's?
Blasphemy. Are you sure your really from Philly? Take it from a fat man. Tony Luke's is better than both, a lot better. All their other food is great too.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:45 am

tonkadtx wrote:
Pat's or Geno's?
Blasphemy. Are you sure your really from Philly? Take it from a fat man. Tony Luke's is better than both, a lot better. All their other food is great too.
DiNics or Johns.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:50 am

bennyonesix wrote:
tonkadtx wrote:
Pat's or Geno's?
DiNics or Johns.
JFC, the only good thing about Philly cheesesteaks is the bread. The bread wins. Everything. That's why they can get away with steakums and cheese whiz. The damn bread is just that goddamned good.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Tirofijo
Sarge

Post by Tirofijo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:52 am

Ryan wrote:This is useful. Thank you.

I've been keeping my eyes open, but man they go quick. I live fairly close to Philly and New York, so I should hopefully find something soon.
You can get alerts the minute they are posted on your local Craigslist. Set up a push notification on Ifttt.

https://ifttt.com/classifieds

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:54 am

Italian Roast Pork w/ broccoli rabe is the sandwich. Cheesesteaks are for tourists. But the bread does make the cheesesteak edible. Throw the meat and wiz away and just eat the bread plus gravy it has soaked up. Almost always from Liscio's bakery.

cimes
Sgt. Major

Post by cimes » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:05 am

aussie luke wrote:
cimes wrote:I like the pm5 for the very reason of being able to upload right from the phone. The connection on the pm4 became faulty as did the card reader. of course it was 9 years old so can't complain.

I find it frustrating that you have to run ErgData during every workout though to be able to upload to the logbook. I really wish you could just sync your phone up to the PM5 and upload all your recent workouts once a week or so.

I use my PM5 without a USB stick or erg data as it will store about 1000 workouts in its internal memory. For me the best solution is to take a pic of the summary screen after ever workout using instagram, so it uploads instantly and as I don't use instagram for anything else, I have a really easy to track visual of every session - really easy to scroll through and compare sessions.
I honestly thought I could sync without running it every time as long as it was in memory. I base that on forgetting to connect it one time and then I thought it still caught the workout next time I launched erg data. But I would have to try it again to make sure I wasn't dreaming. . Agree that is annoying especially if you lose the connection between the phone and monitor say to do intervals and stuff. Now supposedly they did firmware updates to resolve some of the issues. I just got my monitor back in December when my other started to crap out during the holiday challenge.
"I predict that within the next couple years he will author a Dragon Door book possibly with Pavel called "Return to the Kettlebell"" -Sandman on Rant

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:14 am

Forget cheesesteak, get a slice from Lorenzo's.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:19 am

syaigh wrote:
bennyonesix wrote:
tonkadtx wrote:
Pat's or Geno's?
DiNics or Johns.
JFC, the only good thing about Philly cheesesteaks is the bread. The bread wins. Everything. That's why they can get away with steakums and cheese whiz. The damn bread is just that goddamned good.
Just to be clear, tony luke's and di nic's and john's are not cheesesteaks. They are roast pork. A completely different thing. As diff as brisket v pork butt.