Buying a Concept 2 rower. Looking for advice.

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Re: Buying a Concept 2 rower. Looking for advice.

Post by aussie luke » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:45 pm

Cayenne wrote:
aussie luke wrote:Nice one

Clean it up like new and keep it clean - wipe the rail and rollers with a damp cloth before and after every workout and it will last forever
I've always been under the impression that a glass cleaner, Windex or generic, is what is suggested, not "a damp (suggesting water?) cloth". Luke, is it your understanding that using water on the rail is OK, or am I misreading that?
Yeah I used windex for a long time. But I realised it is overkill unless things have been left and there's really stuck on grime in either the rail or rollers.

Also found windex makes the handles a bit sticky.

Best thing I've found, and seems many on the concept 2 forum do the same, is a slightly damp cloth.

I use microfibre car cloths - they're fairly thick - similar to those microfibre mini sports towels. I rinse with with hot water and wring it out as much as possible. Wipe down the handle, rail and roller BEFORE and after each session. It is almost instantaneously dry. Works well on the handle during interval sessions too between rounds.

The dust that settles on the rail overnight is enough to cause that black grimy buildup when mixed with sweat. So wiping it beforehand stops that. Never get any gunk on mine during even 60-90 minute sessions.

Some also swear by polishing the rail with a couple of drops of the thin C2 chain oil or baby oil and a paper towel. I've tried it and it seems to work ok but no better than the damp cloth.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: Buying a Concept 2 rower. Looking for advice.

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:24 pm

I was just going to say that...microfiber towels. If you want to put a touch of lube on it, that dry lube you can get in a can seems to work well.