Buying a Concept 2 rower. Looking for advice.

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Re: Buying a Concept 2 rower. Looking for advice.

Post by bennyonesix » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:21 am

Turdacious wrote:Forget cheesesteak, get a slice from Lorenzo's.
Yeah no. If you want pizza drive north to Jersey.

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:07 pm

tonkadtx wrote:
Pat's or Geno's?
Blasphemy. Are you sure your really from Philly? Take it from a fat man. Tony Luke's is better than both, a lot better. All their other food is great too.
Nope. Went to undergrad west of Philly. Spent a lot of time there, but I don't consider myself a cheesesteak connoisseur .
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:11 pm

Just ask Shape to send you one of his 15 different models, I hear he's looking to get rid of 2.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:44 pm

You dirty piece of dog meat...I only have that Oartech...which I want to get rid of and go back to a C2.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:47 pm

While we're on the subject of ergs, has anyone done anything that even remotely cuts down on the damn noise of the things? Mine is an almost brand new machine and even at the opposite end of the house it still wakes my kids up. Putting it on a rug helped a little compared to the laminate wood floor but not a lot. Tempted to try a few squares of that acoustic foam on the closest wall but I don't think my wife will let me cover the whole of the living room in it.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:05 pm

I thought the Model E was quiet...at least compared to Oartech I have. One of the main reasons I want to get ride of it. My wife can't hear anything in the house when I'm on it.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Shapecharge wrote:I thought the Model E was quiet...at least compared to Oartech I have. One of the main reasons I want to get ride of it. My wife can't hear anything in the house when I'm on it.
Model E and D are mechanically the same. I think it's the chain/sprocket noise more than the fan whoosh.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:21 pm

aussie luke wrote:While we're on the subject of ergs, has anyone done anything that even remotely cuts down on the damn noise of the things?
Yes.

http://www.waterrower.com/

As I stated earlier in this thread, I own a C2. As per the consensus, I think it is a tank, to be outlasted only by my kettlebells. As I think you'd say 'down under', "a great piece of kit"? For me though, I can only use it with headphones watching TV.

Last year, while traveling, I stayed somewhere that had a WaterRower. Not only a great "piece of kit" but the sound was actually soothing in that white noise way that puts my brain where it wants to be.

I'm not saying swap the C2 for a WR, they're both great and C2 has many advantages over WR. Just saying on sound, it's WR for the win.

Row well and live :-)

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:25 pm

aussie luke wrote:
Shapecharge wrote:I thought the Model E was quiet...at least compared to Oartech I have. One of the main reasons I want to get ride of it. My wife can't hear anything in the house when I'm on it.
Model E and D are mechanically the same. I think it's the chain/sprocket noise more than the fan whoosh.
I recently gave a 1 minute test drive to the Ski Erg, (I need to get back to that gym and give it a serious trial) but even in that brief pull, I noticed how much quieter it was. Made no sense to me for a moment, since the mechanical guts are the same as the rower. However, I then realized that the Ski Erg uses a cord instead of a chain. Big sound (and maybe even smoothness, I need to test further) difference! I wonder why C2 opted for cord on SE and continues to use chain on rower...?

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:15 am

I have used one of these several times when visiting my Uncle (Doc, got the big bucks). I would not hesitate to recommend it. Built very solid, nice smooth row, supposedly feels more like water. Only negatives are, C2 is the default so tough to compare splits and whatnot and it requires more maintenance (you have t drop in purification tabs every so often, etc.) Also a bit larger footprint. Other than that, great equipment. He has an older model, a big yellow beast seems like it would compare to the Vortex or evolution.

http://firstdegreefitness.com/product-c ... ex-series/

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:08 am

Cayenne wrote:
aussie luke wrote:
I recently gave a 1 minute test drive to the Ski Erg, (I need to get back to that gym and give it a serious trial) but even in that brief pull, I noticed how much quieter it was. Made no sense to me for a moment, since the mechanical guts are the same as the rower. However, I then realized that the Ski Erg uses a cord instead of a chain. Big sound (and maybe even smoothness, I need to test further) difference! I wonder why C2 opted for cord on SE and continues to use chain on rower...?
I guess if the cord broke on the ski erg you might not die (though you might actually headbutt yourself in the dick) ...but on the rower you could literally fly and die

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:10 am

Cayenne wrote:
aussie luke wrote:While we're on the subject of ergs, has anyone done anything that even remotely cuts down on the damn noise of the things?
Yes.

http://www.waterrower.com/

As I stated earlier in this thread, I own a C2. As per the consensus, I think it is a tank, to be outlasted only by my kettlebells. As I think you'd say 'down under', "a great piece of kit"? For me though, I can only use it with headphones watching TV.

Last year, while traveling, I stayed somewhere that had a WaterRower. Not only a great "piece of kit" but the sound was actually soothing in that white noise way that puts my brain where it wants to be.

I'm not saying swap the C2 for a WR, they're both great and C2 has many advantages over WR. Just saying on sound, it's WR for the win.

Row well and live :-)
C2 is built like a brick shithouse mate

If I had the monies I'd like a waterrower next to it for when I need to be quiet

Shame you can't just stick a PM5 on the waterrower

bubber
PFC

Post by bubber » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:13 pm

I second the recommendations for a water rower. New Water Rowers are quite expensive, I found a First Degree Fitness "Fluid Rower" on Craigslist a couple years ago and am very happy with it. The company website is non-responsive, but if you can find one give it serious consideration, Much quieter than a fan type (Concept 2), smoother and easily adjustable. On mine, the computer is limited, but I adjust because it was a great deal price wise.

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnDoe » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:02 pm

The C2 Dynamic Ergs have cords and are noticeably quieter. They are less bulletproof- more moving parts. They also don't stand on end. All rowers do have a limitation on the 'clutch' at the front end. Slides are a nice option if you're tricking a machine out.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:16 pm

jesus

2-plus pages on buying an exercise yo-yo. how difficult is it?

couldn't someone at least post pics of x-fit chicks with horrible form
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:25 pm

aussie luke wrote:
Cayenne wrote:
aussie luke wrote:
I guess if the cord broke on the ski erg you might not die (though you might actually headbutt yourself in the dick) ...but on the rower you could literally fly and die
I would hope the cord capacity is way beyond what any human could pull. Harambe in his prime, maybe.

macmad
Gunny

Post by macmad » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:49 pm

I bought to model E purely because the seat is higher off the ground than the D. Makes a real difference to comfort and also puts my tablet at better position when watching YouTube between bench press

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:40 pm

macmad wrote:I bought to model E purely because the seat is higher off the ground than the D. Makes a real difference to comfort and also puts my tablet at better position when watching YouTube between bench press
I've never been on a an "E" but I've wondered. Once you're on the erg, the height difference makes no difference, correct? In other words, the height difference is only an issue for getting on and off, not for actual use otherwise, yes?

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:01 pm

Cayenne wrote:
macmad wrote:I bought to model E purely because the seat is higher off the ground than the D. Makes a real difference to comfort and also puts my tablet at better position when watching YouTube between bench press
I've never been on a an "E" but I've wondered. Once you're on the erg, the height difference makes no difference, correct? In other words, the height difference is only an issue for getting on and off, not for actual use otherwise, yes?
Yeah they're just designed to accommodate old people and those with mobility problems in gyms and health clubs etc. made of stronger steel and powder coated too but useage wise exactly the same.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:40 pm

C - D or E. You'll be happy with any of them. The new ones are noticeable quieter than the Model C (I bought it new) that I have but feel just the same if you pay more attention to the drag factor than the number you set it on. Mine has a lot of meters on it and is still going strong. Had to replace the monitor twice now and I bought the newer handle. I do my maintenance religiously. Used ones are hard to find - just buy one and get to rowing - you won't regret it.

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Thanks for the input.

I just snagged a hardly used model D with PM 5 monitor for $675 in Hershey.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:48 am

Nice one

Clean it up like new and keep it clean - wipe the rail and rollers with a damp cloth before and after every workout and it will last forever

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:30 pm

aussie luke wrote:Nice one

Clean it up like new and keep it clean - wipe the rail and rollers with a damp cloth before and after every workout and it will last forever
Will do.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:09 am

CRASH Bs should be happening around now... I think they sell all the C2s afterwards. Probably worth a look.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:09 pm

aussie luke wrote:Nice one

I've always been under the impression that a glass cleaner, Windex or generic, is what is suggested, not "a damp (suggesting water?) cloth". Luke, is it your understanding that using water on the rail is OK, or am I misreading that?