Are you fucking kidding me?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Are you fucking kidding me?

Post by Shapecharge » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:46 pm

This morning Sarcoma sent me a pm to ask if he was overdoing it for b'fast. He said he had a small cube of cheese, a sharp cheddar because it has a particular "slow digestion profile" and low lactose properties, which he measured (4mm x 4mm) and weighed, along with two blanched almonds. Fatty.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:05 pm

Shapecharge wrote:This morning Sarcoma sent me a pm to ask if he was overdoing it for b'fast. He said he had a small cube of cheese, a sharp cheddar because it has a particular "slow digestion profile" and low lactose properties, which he measured (4mm x 4mm) and weighed, along with two blanched almonds. Fatty.
He will never get the look of a ripped old man eating those huge amounts,I would go for just sniffing some bacon and leave it like that.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Boris

Post by Boris » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:01 pm

In all seriousness though, and I am NOT trivializing the process of weight loss or gain, but I am too old to even try to do the old bulk and cut (or cut and bulk) thing anymore. I know this topic has been covered in these forums from time to time - just adding my 2 cents. Weight manipulation for me now (beyond plus or minus 10 pounds) is bitch - in my 20s and early 30s, it was nothing.

So, today, for weight loss or gain (plus or minus 5-10lb):
If I want to gain muscle, I make sure I'm doing the work, sleeping well, and taking in a couple extra protein shake during the day.

If I want to lose weight, I (try to) eliminate extra crap from my diet and walk the dog more.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:36 pm

DikTracy6000 wrote:
Sangoma wrote:Yesterday was my "big" day calorie wise. I don't eat much during the day and by the evening I was considerably behind the prescribed intake - which opened the opportunity for a bit of indulgence. Going through the cupboard I found the unopened box of some berry and nut muesli. I understand this is considered the best breakfast (the most important meal of the day as it is. Checking the label blew me away: for the serving size of 45 g (1.5 oz) you get whopping 220 kcal! "Healthy" food, are you fucking kidding me? Add a glass of milk, and your breakfast is about 350 kcal. Having eaten almost nothing.

Compare it with two eggs (140 kcal) and a toast (70 kcal). More filling and not sweet, meaning it does not stimulate the pathways of addiction. Add a slice of bacon - 110 kcal - and for the same amount of energy you get reasonable amount of real food that keeps you filled for a few hours.

SO fuck those nutritionists who recommend breakfast cereals as healthy choices.
Add a slice of bacon? Are you kidding? My 4 year old grandson eats more than that. Also loved the, "opened the opportunity for a bit of indulgence." Go read the food thread going on, you'll probably gain just reading that.
I am a small guy, what can I say. Indulgence day for me is 2200 - 2400 kcal. "Normal" cutting day is 1400 - 1700 kcal, extreme - 1000 - 1400.

The point is not who eats what - last time I checked Americans eat way too much anyway and USA is among the countries that top obesity charts. The point is caloric density of this "healthy food", 220 kcal per 45g of serving size. I have seen many fat folks pour cereals generously into their bowls (usually followed by low fat milk), easily getting 400 - 600 kcal for breakfast which keeps them full for an hour or less. I am just amazed at how everyone bought into the adage of "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" and "cereals are healthy food".

There is a lot of research pointing that too many calories cause disease and reducing intake prolongs life and improves health.

Boris

Post by Boris » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:45 pm

I don't disagree with anything you've said except this:
Sangoma wrote:I am just amazed at how everyone bought into the adage of "breakfast is the most important meal of the day"
I still find that having a good breakfast makes the rest of the day that much easier. Skipping or skimping on it almost inevitably leads to bad things for me.

If I want to reduce total caloric intake and lose weight, front loading the day (and reducing dinner and snack calories) is ALWAYS more effective for me.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:46 pm

Boris, the extent of the diet depends on how far you want to go. Shedding a few kilos of extra weight is one thing, getting body fat below 10% quite another. I am going for the latter. Why? Because I am still young and I like the challenge. Continuously watching the diet is the most difficult aspect of fitness. THE MOST DIFFICULT, full stop. It requires discipline pretty much every minute of the day. So it gives me special pleasure looking in the mirror and realising that 99% of my contemporaries (and probably 90% of the rest) are not capable of an effort like this.

The rest of you, fuckers, can laugh as much as you want. Go to the fatties thread (it should be somewhere on the twentieth page) and cheer each other up.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:50 pm

Boris wrote:I don't disagree with anything you've said except this:
Sangoma wrote:I am just amazed at how everyone bought into the adage of "breakfast is the most important meal of the day"
I still find that having a good breakfast makes the rest of the day that much easier. Skipping or skimping on it almost inevitably leads to bad things for me.

If I want to reduce total caloric intake and lose weight, front loading the day (and reducing dinner and snack calories) is ALWAYS more effective for me.
I emphasised the key point. Everyone finds his own way. One meal a day, eight meals a day, eating before going to bed, not eating before going to bed, butter in the morning coffee and what not. I seldom eat breakfast and I feel perfect without it. I can theorise why skipping breakfast is good, but then again, it's futile. For you it's front loading, for me all the way around.

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:28 am

I think you are getting in the weeds here - the only issue when you are in 500+ calorie per day deficit is what system works best for you: front load, throughout day, backload. The macronutrient profile per meal is not important. Personally, I am not a breakfast eater- will generally start eating after noon. However, when my wife got me to try it on a regular basis (for me, peanut butter on toast ) I would tendto eat smaller meals and less calories for the rest of the day. Problem for me is that eating breakfast did not somehow re-program my system - I am never hungry in the morning and will skip breakfast if I don't really try and stick to this way of eating.

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:31 am

Sorry, last post incoherent. Translation: it is against my hunger patterns to eat breakfast, but when I do I tend to eat less for the rest of the day. Eating against hunger patterns makes compliance harder even if it is effective for weight loss.

Boris

Post by Boris » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:00 am

dkay wrote:Sorry, last post incoherent. Translation: it is against my hunger patterns to eat breakfast, but when I do I tend to eat less for the rest of the day. Eating against hunger patterns makes compliance harder even if it is effective for weight loss.
This is what I was trying to communicate by "front loading" my day. I'm not saying it's the only way to do it, but it is the less painful option for me even though I am NOT a natural big breakfast eater either.

I am a big believer in the power of habit here, just like I am in most areas of training and life.