Is this a problem?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

SubClaw

Is this a problem?

Post by SubClaw » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:04 pm

Someone pointed out to me that my knees tend to flare out a bit while 'hinging' (doing cleans and RDL's mostly). I always thought that knees caving in was the thing to avoid, but I'm not so sure about this.

Am I doing anything wrong here or it's just the way I hinge?

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: Is this a problem?

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:42 pm

do your knees feel like you are grinding them down?

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:17 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:do your knees feel like you are grinding them down?
No, they feel fine. In fact they feel "less fine" when I 'hinge' pointing my toes forward (the regular way, I guess).

I squat naturally the same way: toes pointing outward and pushing my knees out in a semi-plie of sorts (same way Alan Thrall does high bar).

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:53 pm

Keep your knees in line with your toes. If your toes are straight, knees are straight. If toes are out, knees are out. Tricky part is making your hips line up as well. Been struggling with a few new lifters getting them to open their knees and their hips. Have to use cues like "the world is your gynecologist".
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:00 am

syaigh wrote:Keep your knees in line with your toes. If your toes are straight, knees are straight. If toes are out, knees are out. Tricky part is making your hips line up as well. Been struggling with a few new lifters getting them to open their knees and their hips. Have to use cues like "the world is your gynecologist".
This is the way I do it: toes and knees pointing in the same direction (hips following suit). I think (and it's a wild guess) that opening my knees improves glute activation (is there such a thing?) and makes easier to move the load. If I try to lift with my knees and toes pointing forward, I 'feel' it in my lower back (does that make sense?). Not pain, just a slight discomfort.

I strongly suspect that my natural tendency to walk like a duck (externally rotated) has everything to do with this. :-k

Spiller
Corporal

Post by Spiller » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:02 am

I would say that your knees flare because your body is trying to get your knees backwards, and your body is trying to make things as easy as possible. It's possible the load is too heavy. Flaring your knees moves them posteriorly.

You feel it more in your low back because your trunk is more inclined when your knees don't flare. This is more work for your back and hamstrings.

Drop some weight on the bar and practice with correct technique.

I dig big chicks
Staff Sergeant

Post by I dig big chicks » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:42 pm

Are your toes pointed out? If not, point them out and follow SYAIGH amd the other advice here. Your hips don't hinge like a door, the aren't a hinge joint.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Spiller wrote:I would say that your knees flare because your body is trying to get your knees backwards, and your body is trying to make things as easy as possible. It's possible the load is too heavy. Flaring your knees moves them posteriorly.

You feel it more in your low back because your trunk is more inclined when your knees don't flare. This is more work for your back and hamstrings.

Drop some weight on the bar and practice with correct technique.
I will try it and report back.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:52 pm

I dig big chicks wrote:Are your toes pointed out? If not, point them out and follow SYAIGH amd the other advice here. Your hips don't hinge like a door, the aren't a hinge joint.

Yes, toes, knees and, presumably hips, are pointing in the same direction.

I dig big chicks
Staff Sergeant

Post by I dig big chicks » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:14 pm

SubClaw wrote:
I dig big chicks wrote:Are your toes pointed out? If not, point them out and follow SYAIGH amd the other advice here. Your hips don't hinge like a door, the aren't a hinge joint.

Yes, toes, knees and, presumably hips, are pointing in the same direction.