Too Fat To Run

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Too Fat To Run

Post by JohnDoe » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:26 pm

I used to run lots of trail races, mostly half marathons with a few fulls and even a couple 'ultras' (just a few miles over 26.2). I ended up with a brutal case of plantar fasciitis and moderate to severe depression. Too many pounds later and I'd like to get back in the woods. It's more appealing than just KBs, weights, YRG,or sitting on my erg, none of which I've done lately. I want something that'll be different enough to be fun without making me angry over how weak or fat I am.

Is it too risky? I'm probably 285 right now.

Thanks team.

newguy

Re: Too Fat To Run

Post by newguy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:44 pm

1. Start working on the diet.
2. Start walking. Do some longer hikes on the weekend. During the week do some walks.
3. Increase time and distance on feet. There is nothing to ashamed about a 2 hour walk/hike.
4. Once you've been doing that for a bit (think several months) and you are sure the feet and the knees are not getting sore, then find some grass and just do a few easy jogs and walk. Jog up. Walk back.
5. Do that for several more months, increasing the speed and amount of run ups, walk backs.

If you do that, and pay attention to the diet, pounds should come off and you should be able to build back up into running.

The key is you are not going to be running any ultras soon. Just accept that and get out and get moving.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:39 pm

ssentially what he said.

Take 6 months to drop weight and get accustomed to hikes and walk/runs, and make sure you do some shit to strengthen your feet up to avoid PF...google "foot drills" for some ideas on that.

Plus long, frequent stretches of the calves...like 3:00 each leg on a step...that kind of duration is necessary for the calves.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:01 pm

So you want to "get back in the woods"? Well shit negro, that's all you needed to say! You got any camping gear?

Mr. Dough, in all seriousness, have you thought about getting a bike if you don't have one? I recently bought one after not riding for years and brother I totally dig it. I went out on Saturday and rode about 12 miles...no drama no issues and I was outside, the weather was great and all that. I did it to add a little something different to the cardio mix without getting beat up so much from other options. I wanted to do some long duration steady state cardio and this seemed a perfect fit. The wife wants one now so we can ride together and that's pretty cool too. At your size I think this could work for you as well, just a suggestion.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:12 pm

JohnDoe wrote:I used to run lots of trail races, mostly half marathons with a few fulls and even a couple 'ultras' (just a few miles over 26.2). I ended up with a brutal case of plantar fasciitis and moderate to severe depression. Too many pounds later and I'd like to get back in the woods. It's more appealing than just KBs, weights, YRG,or sitting on my erg, none of which I've done lately. I want something that'll be different enough to be fun without making me angry over how weak or fat I am.

Thanks team.
Brisk walking at that weight will kick your ass. Walking at the pace where you want to run instead will burn the weight off and give you all the hard work you want. Work up to some real miles everyday without foot pain before even thinking of running.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:14 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:ssentially what he said.

Take 6 months to drop weight and get accustomed to hikes and walk/runs, and make sure you do some shit to strengthen your feet up to avoid PF...google "foot drills" for some ideas on that.

Plus long, frequent stretches of the calves...like 3:00 each leg on a step...that kind of duration is necessary for the calves.
Is this legit? The three minutes? Like that Eccentric Protocol stretching?

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:45 pm

Interesting side note. One of my acquaintances is in the drug testing field. Apparently, there is talk of using botox injections in the calves as a way to treat plantar fasciitis.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:50 pm

bennyonesix wrote:
JohnDoe wrote:I used to run lots of trail races, mostly half marathons with a few fulls and even a couple 'ultras' (just a few miles over 26.2). I ended up with a brutal case of plantar fasciitis and moderate to severe depression. Too many pounds later and I'd like to get back in the woods. It's more appealing than just KBs, weights, YRG,or sitting on my erg, none of which I've done lately. I want something that'll be different enough to be fun without making me angry over how weak or fat I am.

Thanks team.
Brisk walking at that weight will kick your ass. Walking at the pace where you want to run instead will burn the weight off and give you all the hard work you want. Work up to some real miles everyday without foot pain before even thinking of running.
Yeah, hate to admit it but im too fat to run and im not really "fat", just a lot heavier than ive been for the last 20 years. Im 30 lbs heavier than when i trained for the tough mudder five years ago and had way more problems, plantar fasciitis, knee bursitis, more joint pain, training for the half marathon last year. I think if i had always weighed this much it wouldnt have been so bad, but it was like a 20% increase in bodyweight in two years. Bulking aint for sissies.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:01 pm

syaigh wrote:Interesting side note. One of my acquaintances is in the drug testing field. Apparently, there is talk of using botox injections in the calves as a way to treat plantar fasciitis.
This goes along with the treatment a friend is going through relative to his recovery from a mild stroke he had in December '15. Well, I'm not certain what "mild" means either because he's still struggling with gaining full strength and movement in his right arm and leg. I ran into him by accident Saturday morning at b'fast and I asked him how he was doing and he told me he had earlier in the week received six botox injection in his right shoulder/upper arm area. Part of his struggle is a simultaneous loss of strength/control and flexibility. The botox is to help loosen up muscle and connective tissue so he can gain more from the therapy. Interesting indeed. Hope it works for him. Stroke at 55. He's not a healthy fellow.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:42 pm

Yeah, short stretching times for the calves does nothing for my PF.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:01 pm

I would add walking in undulating terrain - up and down some hills. Walking uphill seems to switch on some muscles that require lots of energy - and you get seriously puffed without significantly loading the joints.

Getting the diet in order - creating significant and sustainable deficit - is more important that fretting about exercise. Simple steps: calculate your BMR (plenty calculators online), subtract 100 - 300 kcal, then weigh your food and calculate your intake, sticking to the daily limit. Give it a month, and you will see results.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:34 am

Ebbets Foot Drills and Alfredson protocol every day. Build up on the alfredson protocol slowly. I just started running again after a layoff. After any run where my knees, ankles, or shins are hurting, I do the 12 minute Foundation Training routine-- after a run I prefer to do it in shoes, you may be different so try it both ways. The YRG SU routine works for that too.

One of the reason I got the correct toes is that I've had/have a lot of the issues syaigh mentioned. Can't say whether or not they are helping yet.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:52 am

Stop being fat and go outside.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

chi

Post by chi » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:08 am

Sangoma wrote:I would add walking in undulating terrain - up and down some hills. Walking uphill seems to switch on some muscles that require lots of energy - and you get seriously puffed without significantly loading the joints.

Getting the diet in order - creating significant and sustainable deficit - is more important that fretting about exercise. Simple steps: calculate your BMR (plenty calculators online), subtract 100 - 300 kcal, then weigh your food and calculate your intake, sticking to the daily limit. Give it a month, and you will see results.
100-300kcals deficit per day could easily be wiped out from label variances, misreporting, etc etc.

He is 285lbs, use a 600-800kcal deficit daily and shift the fat.
I'd say on the bottom of that self-actualisation pyramid shit, proper decent coffee is in there with wifi, tits, food and shelter

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnDoe » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm down two belt sizes just drinking a gallon of water a day. I'm also 6'3 and can get things out of the highest shelves in my kitchen unlike most of you, so it's not that bad.

But thanks for the advice- I keep thinking 'to hell with it' and just starting running, so the build up advice is key. As are the preventative measures.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:59 pm

Also don't discount the benefits of full-contact karate without gloves, shin guards etc.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:08 pm

I followed this plan to be letter and went from zero to happily running for an hour, pain and injury free and have stayed that way ever since.

https://www.readpt.com/starting-running-pain-free/

Also has a handy blog on plantar fasciitis which I can't be bothered to read all the way through, but I can say Andrew has steered me right many times and doesn't do bullshit so worth a look.

https://www.readpt.com/runners-guide-plantar-fasciitis/

and might as well stick this here

https://www.readpt.com/run-right-reduce-injuries/

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:14 pm

Plantar issues. Do two handed swings or cleans barefoot on carpet. The ballistic jolt will start to heal the plantar. It is just subtle and cumulative. I had neuroma issues and that fixed what the podiatrist could not.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:18 pm

to add to it all, adding tibialis raises (ankle and foot flexion) adds significantly to the foot drill stuff.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:40 pm

JohnDoe wrote:I'm down two belt sizes just drinking a gallon of water a day. I'm also 6'3 and can get things out of the highest shelves in my kitchen unlike most of you, so it's not that bad.

But thanks for the advice- I keep thinking 'to hell with it' and just starting running, so the build up advice is key. As are the preventative measures.
Fat, delusional and self-destructive is no way to go through life, son.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Dean Wormer did nothing wrong.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:40 pm

I think the Jump Stretch band ankle flexibility portion of the lower body routine might help with this also. Maybe?
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:to add to it all, adding tibialis raises (ankle and foot flexion) adds significantly to the foot drill stuff.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:46 pm

JohnDoe wrote:I'm down two belt sizes just drinking a gallon of water a day. I'm also 6'3 and can get things out of the highest shelves in my kitchen unlike most of you, so it's not that bad.

JD, thanks for verifying my amateur psychology practice. When my know-it-all older sister, a retired RN offers advice to everyone on health, life issues, politics, etc. I tell her that no one, absolutely NO ONE wants "your" advice, even if they ask for it, or even pay for it. Just do whatever the hell you think, and everything will be okay. Wishing you well on your journey.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:45 pm

No,the JS routine doesn't work the tibialis at all

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:10 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:to add to it all, adding tibialis raises (ankle and foot flexion) adds significantly to the foot drill stuff.
Cool, I didn't even know there was a name for the "foot pulls" I've been doing with the JumpStretch band.
That exercise really helps with ankle mobility.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman