Knee pain

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 11483
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: Knee pain

Post by nafod » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:56 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:Damn, that sucks. If I may ask, how old are you, nafod?
Fiddy six.

A week later, and still hobbling with a cane. Kind of blows.
Don’t believe everything you think.

User avatar
Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21999
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:49 pm
Location: The Pale Blue Dot

Re: Knee pain

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:39 am

You've got me by ten. Trying to figure out if I'm headed for this or if my current regimen will prevent it.

That really does suck. I will take this as a warning. I hope you find some relief and can get back to your activities!
nafod wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:Damn, that sucks. If I may ask, how old are you, nafod?
Fiddy six.

A week later, and still hobbling with a cane. Kind of blows.

User avatar
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8034
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:04 am
Location: Deep in a well

Re: Knee pain

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:51 am

Mickey O'neil wrote:You've got me by ten. Trying to figure out if I'm headed for this or if my current regimen will prevent it.

That really does suck. I will take this as a warning. I hope you find some relief and can get back to your activities!
nafod wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:Damn, that sucks. If I may ask, how old are you, nafod?
Fiddy six.

A week later, and still hobbling with a cane. Kind of blows.
Blows for sure. My osteo was making fun of me recently for trying to act 16 in my 60's. Times change and fitness regimens need to as well. I'm trying to figure it out.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 11483
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: Knee pain

Post by nafod » Tue May 02, 2017 2:36 pm

Time for an update.

When I saw the PT for the first time two weeks ago, after my Orthopod appointment where he remarked on how swollen my knee still was, he gave me a load of crap for doing too much too soon (he's a friend). I'd seen the orthopod the day before, and I told him that before the surgery I had swelling, and after I had swelling and pain.

So PT had me do the standard (heel drags, hammie stretches, quad iso holds) which I did religiously 3 x day. Then more complex stuff. Today I got on the leg press machine for the first time. Swelling is going down. I ice and elevate whenever I can, using it as a excuse to throw my leg up on the table at work meetings. I also went on an hour/5 mile MTBike ride this weekend. Just about the first time I've gotten a real sweat on in a couple of months.

Sleep remains problematic. Usually get 3-4 hours, then it is toss and turn and so on. Learned to just get up, get some ice, and go lay on the couch and listen to iPod.

No painkillers other than Meloxicam. They just don't work. It's not pain so much as just discomfort while motionless in bed. Better when I am moving. I find a glass of wine or two in the evening helps relax.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19089
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Knee pain

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue May 02, 2017 5:07 pm

That's good progress. The fact you can ride has got to be a relief.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

JimZipCode
Top
Posts: 1394
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: Knee pain

Post by JimZipCode » Wed May 03, 2017 1:48 am

nafod wrote:So PT had me do the standard (heel drags, hammie stretches, quad iso holds)
What are heel drags?
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

User avatar
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: Knee pain

Post by Turdacious » Thu May 04, 2017 12:10 am

JimZipCode wrote:
nafod wrote:So PT had me do the standard (heel drags, hammie stretches, quad iso holds)
What are heel drags?
Image
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 11483
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: Knee pain

Post by nafod » Thu May 04, 2017 5:52 pm

Turdacious wrote:
JimZipCode wrote:
nafod wrote:So PT had me do the standard (heel drags, hammie stretches, quad iso holds)
What are heel drags?
Image
Now that Turd has had his fun, I shall explain.

You just lay on your back with leg straight, and then drag your heel up towards your rear end, going for range of motion. That simple. I finish with an elastic band to get the stretch on.
Don’t believe everything you think.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6797
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:34 pm

Re: Knee pain

Post by dead man walking » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:03 pm

knee problems may be a contagion.

i was getting back into a decent routine, but fucked my knee. the only incident i recall is when one of our dogs ran into me. he's 130 pounds.

nothing popped. no sharp pain at the time. no swelling, but the pain has been steady for more than a week. the worst is going downhill. the knee is still stable.

saw a doc, who said nothing seems torn and though it was a ligament sprain--probably acl and mcl based on the site of the pain.

ice and rest help. i'll do standard knee rehab on my own.

also tried to get a quick diagnosis on the (sometimes painful) popping in my shoulder. her diagnosis: basically, you're old.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

User avatar
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: Knee pain

Post by Turdacious » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:52 am

dead man walking wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:03 pm
knee problems may be a contagion.

i was getting back into a decent routine, but fucked my knee. the only incident i recall is when one of our dogs ran into me. he's 130 pounds.

nothing popped. no sharp pain at the time. no swelling, but the pain has been steady for more than a week. the worst is going downhill. the knee is still stable.

saw a doc, who said nothing seems torn and though it was a ligament sprain--probably acl and mcl based on the site of the pain.

ice and rest help. i'll do standard knee rehab on my own.

also tried to get a quick diagnosis on the (sometimes painful) popping in my shoulder. her diagnosis: basically, you're old.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=227703&p=825971&hil ... on#p825971
Might help, a lot of nuggets in that thread.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6797
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:34 pm

Re: Knee pain

Post by dead man walking » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:13 am

thanks turd, i'm going to resist the paranoia that you are trolling me by referring to another thread i started about a similar problem, but with a different joint. instead, i'm choosing to assume you are a man of good will.

my entire workout could usefully be a series of rehab exercises, starting with my feet and moving up. i think this knee business is the result of a collision, not simply bad form or overuse. i expect, though, that 98% of my problems would disappear if i fixed my posture once and for all.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Post Reply