Torn Calf Muscle

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Torn Calf Muscle

Post by Beer Jew » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:16 pm

My dad (late 50's) thinks he may have torn his calf. He said there was a pop, and now he cant bend his ankle without significant pain. He said the pain is halfway up his calf, and it's agony to extend his foot, try to stand on his toes, and when he brings the foot back it feels like he's been kicked really hard.

He went to a GP this morning, who actually went on the NHS website in front of my dad and looked up "calf injury".

So my dad's questions is, does he just need to rest it for a few days with gentle stretching, or use anti-inflammatory, heat etc.?

TIA!

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Torn Calf Muscle

Post by nafod » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:56 pm

Beer Jew wrote:My dad (late 50's) thinks he may have torn his calf. He said there was a pop, and now he cant bend his ankle without significant pain. He said the pain is halfway up his calf, and it's agony to extend his foot, try to stand on his toes, and when he brings the foot back it feels like he's been kicked really hard.

He went to a GP this morning, who actually went on the NHS website in front of my dad and looked up "calf injury".

So my dad's questions is, does he just need to rest it for a few days with gentle stretching, or use anti-inflammatory, heat etc.?

TIA!
Just calibrating the effort...my wife tore hers. It was more than a few days recuperation. Be watchful for DVTs (blood clots).
Don’t believe everything you think.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:24 pm

lol @ the use of NHS direct. Last time I went to Docs I had looked up some stuff and told him what I'd read. He also went online, read the same stuff then gave a David Brent style nod of agreement like he knew it all along. Brilliant flare.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:53 am

When you you say bend his ankle, do you mean point plantar flexion (point his toes down) or dorsiflexion (point his toes up)? Different muscles. The gastrocnemius is the superficial muscle everyone thinks of as the "calf muscle" that and the soleus just below it are the muscles that point the toes. The deeper muscles point the toes up. The insertion point is the Achilles tendon. You think he might have popped his tendon?

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:30 am

Beer Jew wrote:My dad (late 50's) thinks he may have torn his calf. He said there was a pop, and now he cant bend his ankle without significant pain. He said the pain is halfway up his calf, and it's agony to extend his foot, try to stand on his toes, and when he brings the foot back it feels like he's been kicked really hard.

TIA!
Did it roll up like a window blind?

Is there a huge dent in his calf?

Spiller
Corporal

Post by Spiller » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:24 am

Rest, ice, elevate, immobilize with a boot, cane/crutches as needed are common treatments. Plus anti-inflammatories/analgesics.

No heat. No stretching yet.

If you can't walk without a serious limp after 3-5 days, or if the pain is getting significantly worse instead of better, you need more medical intervention.

Regardless, I'd try to see an orthopod ASAP.

Men in their mid to late 50's are notorious for popping tendons.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:39 am

Spiller wrote:Rest, ice, elevate, immobilize with a boot, cane/crutches as needed are common treatments. Plus anti-inflammatories/analgesics.

No heat. No stretching yet.

If you can't walk without a serious limp after 3-5 days, or if the pain is getting significantly worse instead of better, you need more medical intervention.

Regardless, I'd try to see an orthopod ASAP.

Men in their mid to late 50's are notorious for popping tendons.
Nice,so I`ve got popping tendons to look forward to in a couple of years.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".