Working legs without squats or machines

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Working legs without squats or machines

Post by Sangoma » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:42 am

In those times when the back is not one hundred percent. I am toying with the idea of hip belt squats and walking lunges. Any advice?

Boris

Re: Working legs without squats or machines

Post by Boris » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:10 am

Sangoma wrote:In those times when the back is not one hundred percent. I am toying with the idea of hip belt squats and walking lunges. Any advice?
My advice would be... lighter squats, higher reps, rock-solid technique. And/or a squat variant that you can do without pain. Perhaps this is strange, but I've found GM-squats weren't a bad variant at times when the lower back was not cooperative.

But, if that's unappealing, I would suggest Bulgarian Split Squats - high reps w. bodyweight, side lunges, etc. I've never taken to step ups personally.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I found that a steady diet of pull-ups and (moreso) push-ups really did make a difference w. nagging lower back pain that was becoming chronic for me.

Windmills are one preventative that I should be doing regularly but just do not manage to keep in my rotation.

Boris

Post by Boris » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:10 am

Boris wrote:
Sangoma wrote:In those times when the back is not one hundred percent. I am toying with the idea of hip belt squats and walking lunges. Any advice?
My advice would be... lighter squats, higher reps, rock-solid technique. And/or a squat variant that you can do without pain. Perhaps this is strange, but I've found GM-squats weren't a bad variant at (some) times when the lower back was not cooperative.

But, if that's unappealing, I would suggest Bulgarian Split Squats - high reps w. bodyweight, side lunges, etc. I've never taken to step ups personally.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I found that a steady diet of pull-ups and (moreso) push-ups really did make a difference w. nagging lower back pain that was becoming chronic for me.

Windmills are one preventative that I should be doing regularly but just do not manage to keep in my rotation.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:30 am

Trap bar deadlifts with the high handles and step-up/split squat variations. Think, how do i load my hips? How do i bend my knee through a full rom?
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:31 am

Trap bar deadlifts with the high handles and step-up/split squat variations. Think, how do i load my hips? How do i bend my knee through a full rom?

terra

Post by terra » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:57 am

I recently bought a belt for weighted dips/chin from Sams Fitness over on your side of town. The brand is Spuds.
Then I grabbed two bedside tables that were dumped during a council clean-up and gutted them for boxes to stand on. With this setup Hip squats are ok. I don't do them often, mainly use the boxes for power shrugs and high pulls etc.

The hip belt squats certainly don't load my back. But DO hammer the lower quad area.

Other than that my advice is:
Get your fucking back sorted.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:33 pm

Belt squats are a pain in the ass to set up to do with any kind of weight, as Terra illustrated above, but might be useful. Walking lunges, split squat, rear foot elevated split squats, etc...can all be useful, cossack squats, side lunges, etc

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:37 pm

I find doing some McGill exercises, coupled with the Agile 8 sequence from Defranco, helps with the issue I had on my left lower back (QL issue I thought)
-bird dogs, very focused on rib position and bracing
-rolling planks, once again, very focused on rib position and bracing

I don't usually do the McGill crunch, but I might try it, it's not like it will take a ton of time.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:32 pm

Hip belt squats are really pretty effective with lowish weights. I do sets of 20 with 180-240 using a loading pin. It would be nice to go heavier but as a stop gap it works real well.

Consider deficit deads, trap bar, sled pulling....or god forbid...Leg Press (I hate it but it works)
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Why high handles? I've always used the low handles with my TBDL.
syaigh wrote:Trap bar deadlifts with the high handles and step-up/split squat variations. Think, how do i load my hips? How do i bend my knee through a full rom?

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:20 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:Why high handles? I've always used the low handles with my TBDL.
syaigh wrote:Trap bar deadlifts with the high handles and step-up/split squat variations. Think, how do i load my hips? How do i bend my knee through a full rom?
You can do it with low handles if you want to. Just the lower you go, the more likely you are to compromise the low back. Its sumply to limit range of motion. The lower you get down, the further back you have to push your hips and if you cant do that, it strains the low back.

terra

Post by terra » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:48 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Belt squats are a pain in the ass to set up to do with any kind of weight, as Terra illustrated....
Yes, if it wasn't obvious, that's the real reason why "I don't do them often".
Could probably sort out an easy set-up to make them more user friendly, but don't really need them in my routine at the moment, so simply couldn't be bothered.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boris

Post by Boris » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:04 am

terra wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Belt squats are a pain in the ass to set up to do with any kind of weight, as Terra illustrated....
Yes, if it wasn't obvious, that's the real reason why "I don't do them often".
Could probably sort out an easy set-up to make them more user friendly, but don't really need them in my routine at the moment, so simply couldn't be bothered.
I borrowed a friend's Ironmind hip squat belt thingy for 6 months or so once. I probably used it 3x. My friend has had it since at least 2000 and I remember seeing it in his workout notes less than half a dozen times total. Not saying it can't work, but you have to be committed to it (and I was not).

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:43 am

Split squats with rear leg elevated and heavy prowler pushes are my staple leg exercises. I can just about tolerate front squats but fuck putting a bar on my back again. Single leg presses are great too, but I note you have no machines.

Goblet squats??
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:07 am

Yeah goblet squats.

No you can't do them heavy but awesome for full rom squat movement and I have always found them very good for lower back problems - stretching everything out in the bottom position.

And you can do them every day since they're light.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:42 pm

syaigh wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:Why high handles? I've always used the low handles with my TBDL.
You can do it with low handles if you want to. Just the lower you go, the more likely you are to compromise the low back. Its sumply to limit range of motion. The lower you get down, the further back you have to push your hips and if you cant do that, it strains the low back.
Of course. Thanks!

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:43 pm

I do a wide variety of leg stuff but not back squats - my low back doesn't like them and they serve no purpose for me at this stage of my life. As part of my warm up I do overhead squats daily with a piece of PVC pipe - feels great - no strength aspect but I like the way they feel and it loosens stuff up nicely. I made a "sissy squat" sort of machine that even with body weight gives me a good quad burn. Concept 2 rower works the quads well. All of these do me well except for "strength". For that I made myself a "leverage squat" setup that allows me to eliminate my lower back and squat as heavy as I please with real control. Other than that I do front squats - full squat snatches and full squat cleans - moderate weights. Posterior chain is glute ham raises and Ukrainian dead lifts on tall boxes. Almost never do I squat to parallel - rock bottom just plain feels better to me.

All this wouldn't be the answer for an athlete or someone trying to powerlift - get huge etc but my legs feel good and I can hike with a big pack all day long - row, bike, or whatever. And with only doing these things and 5 weeks of regular squats I matched the best parallel squat I ever did (1969) of 400# last year as a test. Most important though is I almost never have knee pain anymore. Heavy back squats had their day but that day is long gone for me.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:09 pm

You could go up and down stairs many times. Sometimes up one stair at a time, sometimes two, sometimes hop or jump.

If your back will allow, you could carry something.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:23 pm

stadium steps

good for the legs and builds character the 5th or 6th time going up
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:59 pm

dead man walking wrote:stadium steps

good for the legs and builds character the 5th or 6th time going up

Stair steps are the most underrated piece of training equipment.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:03 pm

aussie luke wrote:Yeah goblet squats.

No you can't do them heavy but awesome for full rom squat movement and I have always found them very good for lower back problems - stretching everything out in the bottom position.

And you can do them every day since they're light.

Most underrated stretch perhaps....

Deeply deeply overrated as a exercise. I use them as a diagnostic, as a teaching tool and abandon them as rapidly as possible before permanent vaginitis sets in.

Conversely...done as a PT move or heavy with a sandbag zercher style...not bad. Just don;t get sucked into the hype.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:08 am

some poses in yogawhen they lift straight leg quite demanding, without even bending knees.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:49 am

Gironda squats @ BW worked wonders, add a little weight slowly.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:41 pm

I barely avoided getting into a pissing match with bodybuilder about squatting and leg hypertrophy, when he started yammering on and on about how lunges and split squats were better.

1) They aren't. A lunge done with 225 lbs is in NO WAY EQUIVALENT TO A SQUAT DONE WITH 450.
2) Anecdotally, this doesn't play out either, because every single fucking bodybuilder on the fucking stage has done fuck tons of squatting somewhere in his career.
3) Proximity bias because of a fucked up lower back.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:04 pm

With any exercise there is technique to promote hypertrophy and there is technique to move the most weight possible, for better or for worse.

We've all seen plenty of the latter in our years in various gyms. What you see a built-looking trainee doing vs what you see the average gym rat doing are often very different.

As JR would say, "a clue!"
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.