Need a good carb/electrolyte drink for MTB

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Need a good carb/electrolyte drink for MTB

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:44 pm

For those of you that do or have cycled/mountain biked, I really need to dial in my nutrition for rides and also get a good carb/electrolyte drink for my rides. Right now I use a mix of coconut water and a little Gatorade for taste. I need to find something that will help fight the lactic acid build up/burning in my legs as well as some energy during the rides.

Recommendations?

TIA,
Mickey

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Need a good carb/electrolyte drink for MTB

Post by Bram » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:27 pm

I looked at your most recent journal entries and all your rides look about 2 hours or less.

What about just eating more balanced meals throughout the day and again about 45-90 minutes before you ride?

It seems that keeping your glycogen stores stocked should fuel you for the length of rides you're doing?

Your journal looks fun, just dug my mountain bike out yesterday - looking forwards to getting it fixed and doing some riding again.
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:24 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:I need to find something that will help fight the lactic acid build up/burning in my legs as well as some energy during the rides.

Recommendations?

TIA,
Mickey
More zone 2 and a 24x32 bail out gear.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:29 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:I need to find something that will help fight the lactic acid build up/burning in my legs as well as some energy during the rides.

Recommendations?

TIA,
Mickey
More zone 2 and a 24x32 bail out gear.
I knew someone would go the training route. But I want drugzzzzzzzz! Hahaha! In all honesty, I have started trying to use my granny gear (I have a 1x11 with 42t being my granny gear) as little as possible to build up my strength and not rely on it. I only use it on the most atrocious of inclines/climbs. More zone 2 would help.
Last edited by Mickey O'neil on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:34 pm

Then EPO, low dose test and maybe GH..tho probably not.

Just drink more regular stuff. look up Alex Viada's recipe for homemade electrolyte drink. It's good as you're going to find.

ALSO...if you're "building up your legs"...what makes you think you won';t be sore? Riding like a fool will yield foolish results. Riding smart will make you smarter.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:36 pm

I edited my original reply to you. I will do the googles on the Alex Viada recipe. Thanks!
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Then EPO, low dose test and maybe GH..tho probably not.

Just drink more regular stuff. look up Alex Viada's recipe for homemade electrolyte drink. It's good as you're going to find.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:38 pm

This is true, but I was thinking more of during my rides. I would think the lactic acid threshold would be getting higher the more I ride? You know, ride longer/harder before the burning kicks in?

ALSO...if you're "building up your legs"...what makes you think you won';t be sore? Riding like a fool will yield foolish results. Riding smart will make you smarter.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:42 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:This is true, but I was thinking more of during my rides. I would think the lactic acid threshold would be getting higher the more I ride? You know, ride longer/harder before the burning kicks in?

What's your ratio of zone 2 to zone 4 work? The only way to improve lactate threshold training is to train is specifically. Going on the typical 2 hour MTB ride a mix of zone 2/3 is fun but most likely to yield shite improvements. You'll get improvements most readily by working technical proficiency at zone 2 and then overall repeatability and speed at zone 4

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:45 pm

Try this...opne your usual ride with zone 2 for a half hour to 45..even if you need to stay in the granny or push. Then find a hill section about 15 minutes long and punch it for the whole 15...stay in zone 4. Then do 5 to 10 min to full recovery in zone 1...then repeat the 15 min interval. Then roll out remainder of session zone 2.

Over time you should be able to push that interval out to 20 minutes and be faster doing it with less recovery time between.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:48 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:This is true, but I was thinking more of during my rides. I would think the lactic acid threshold would be getting higher the more I ride? You know, ride longer/harder before the burning kicks in?

What's your ratio of zone 2 to zone 4 work? The only way to improve lactate threshold training is to train is specifically. Going on the typical 2 hour MTB ride a mix of zone 2/3 is fun but most likely to yield shite improvements. You'll get improvements most readily by working technical proficiency at zone 2 and then overall repeatability and speed at zone 4
Well, you just described all of my rides. Hahaha!

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:49 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

Well, you just described all of my rides. Hahaha!
I described most of everyone's rides including mine.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:50 pm

It doesn't sound fun but will obviously produce the results I'm looking for. Thanks!
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Try this...opne your usual ride with zone 2 for a half hour to 45..even if you need to stay in the granny or push. Then find a hill section about 15 minutes long and punch it for the whole 15...stay in zone 4. Then do 5 to 10 min to full recovery in zone 1...then repeat the 15 min interval. Then roll out remainder of session zone 2.

Over time you should be able to push that interval out to 20 minutes and be faster doing it with less recovery time between.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:51 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:It doesn't sound fun but will obviously produce the results I'm looking for. Thanks!
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Try this...opne your usual ride with zone 2 for a half hour to 45..even if you need to stay in the granny or push. Then find a hill section about 15 minutes long and punch it for the whole 15...stay in zone 4. Then do 5 to 10 min to full recovery in zone 1...then repeat the 15 min interval. Then roll out remainder of session zone 2.

It's actually more fun in a lot of ways....it's just hard to do on a MTB. But riding over your head for 20 minutes at a shot teaches you how to race. The first 20 min and last 20 min of any MTB race are critical.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:58 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:It doesn't sound fun but will obviously produce the results I'm looking for. Thanks!

It's actually more fun in a lot of ways....it's just hard to do on a MTB. But riding over your head for 20 minutes at a shot teaches you how to race. The first 20 min and last 20 min of any MTB race are critical.
Thanks, BD!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:47 pm

My apologies, Bram. I just saw your comment. Yes, I really need to improve my diet with an eye towards riding. My diet is pretty healthy but probably crappy when it comes to preparing for a ride.
Bram wrote:I looked at your most recent journal entries and all your rides look about 2 hours or less.

What about just eating more balanced meals throughout the day and again about 45-90 minutes before you ride?

It seems that keeping your glycogen stores stocked should fuel you for the length of rides you're doing?

Your journal looks fun, just dug my mountain bike out yesterday - looking forwards to getting it fixed and doing some riding again.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:15 pm

Actually......a great book for you would be Fast after 50, by Joel Friel.

That and Joel Jamiesons's MMA conditioning book are outstanding resources for the high mileage all rounder.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:40 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:My apologies, Bram. I just saw your comment. Yes, I really need to improve my diet with an eye towards riding. My diet is pretty healthy but probably crappy when it comes to preparing for a ride.
Bram wrote:I looked at your most recent journal entries and all your rides look about 2 hours or less.

If you're going as hard as I think you're probably going, you DO need to have food on hand on the ride. Not a lot but some. Getting in 100+ carbs beforehand will help.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:58 pm

Flattened Coca Cola. Original, not diet obviously.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:53 am

Sangoma wrote:Flattened Coca Cola. Original, not diet obviously.
Used extensively during my road racing days. Last bottle of the day would be 1/2 flat coke and 1/2 water. Just the right caffeine and simple carb boost for the end.

Of course, a frozen snickers bar was my favorite long ride food. Cheap and almost exactly the same macros as a cliff bar or power bar.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:09 am

Think I saw Alex Viada saying he used kids food pouches recently - apple sauce etc

I ran my first 10 miles on Sunday which was a jump from 7. Did it early in the morning on an empty stomach. Took me about 90 mins. I'm going to start needing something beforehand if I'm going to go any longer. But I think it will be a while before I need anything during.

I generally run better in the evening after a day of eating but before evening meal. If I try and eat something before a morning run like a banana or even some Gatorade I spend most of the run trying not to vom

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:35 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:My apologies, Bram. I just saw your comment. Yes, I really need to improve my diet with an eye towards riding. My diet is pretty healthy but probably crappy when it comes to preparing for a ride.

If you're going as hard as I think you're probably going, you DO need to have food on hand on the ride. Not a lot but some. Getting in 100+ carbs beforehand will help.
Saturday I ate a PB&H(oney) sandwich before I left for the ride and one midway on the ride. I'll be getting that Friel book.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:36 am

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Sangoma wrote:Flattened Coca Cola. Original, not diet obviously.
Used extensively during my road racing days. Last bottle of the day would be 1/2 flat coke and 1/2 water. Just the right caffeine and simple carb boost for the end.

Of course, a frozen snickers bar was my favorite long ride food. Cheap and almost exactly the same macros as a cliff bar or power bar.
I've done the frozen snickers bar before after seeing you post that before.

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:43 pm

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:29 pm

That sounds good, but I don't know if I want to be an hour into my ride and shit in my pants. Hahaha!
Ryan wrote:Buffer lactic acid? Baking soda.

http://doctoroffitness.com/resources/fi ... athletes-2

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop » Sun May 28, 2017 2:07 am

I ride approximately 12-15 miles and about 2500 ft at a whack. Drink water and often don't eat or drink coffee before the ride Saturday mornings.

If im towards 20 miles 3000 ft i will eat some starbursts or M&Ms. Or some kind of bar.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.