Face Pulls

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

JimZipCode

Face Pulls

Post by JimZipCode » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:42 pm

What's better, standing or seated?

There's also a version where you lie on your chest on a bunch, and use dumbbells. That seems like it would be awkward, not enough room to extend arms fully. Should I give that one more of a look, or is the cable version good enough?

What's the right form for the exercise? I've seen a vid where the guy has the rope coming out thru the bottom of his grip, and he ends the move in a sort of "double-bicep" pose, with his fists a little above and out from his ears. Saw another where the guy had the rope coming out thru the top of his grip, and he pulled the rope more or less toward his chin, taking care to keep his elbows high, above his wrists. Which one is right? Or is there a third, better option.

What else should be said about Face Pulls?
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Re: Face Pulls

Post by Ryan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:51 pm

What you're trying to hit determines technique. If you're just looking for scapular retraction/horizontal abduction, then just find an angle that allows you to squeeze your shoulder blades together well against the resistance (with elbows out). If you're looking to add external rotation, then you need to rotate your arms up into the "double bicep" position as you pull. You might need to tinker around with different ways of pulling to see what hits the areas you want to get.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/push- ... and-shrugs

https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-m ... e-exercise
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:30 pm

All the versions are useful to a degree. Honestly, I'd do face pulls above the head and reapers....(search here for that definition) Otherwise, FP's are just part of a huge rotation so upper back pieces that you can rotate. If there are two I think shoudl be on everyone's list..(mostly everyone) it's reapers and Incline bench DB rows with a hold. i think these do what Face pulls purport to do but in a way that you can feel when you press.

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:02 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:reapers (search here for that definition)
Not found. Plenty of mentions, no description or illustration.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:11 pm

Damn...well Ok.

Basically, it's a behind the neck lat pull down. You should take a grip where your forearms remain vertical through the pull. Use a weight you 20 reps with a BTN pull down.

Pull the bar to just about where your upper arm fdrops below horizontal. On most of us that means the bar is slightly below the crown of your head or the occipital bun.
Do them slow and controlled. You should be able to stop the bar at any point in the stroke and hold for time. I like a 3:1:3 cadence with a slight pause at teh bottom where you squeeze your shoulder-blades back, down and together activating all the rhomboids, upper and lower traps. Holding and squeezing them at tope and bottom as well as keeping continuous tension of the bar will ensure these really teach you to stay tight.

Jack can probably add to this, but it's how I've done them and passed them on to other people.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:44 am

I`ll be adding those incline bench rows.Everything that might help my shoulders will get a trial-and you cannever have enough muscles upp there anyway,can you?
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:21 pm

I forgot about standing rather than sitting on the bench when doing that style of row. Good vid.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:47 pm

Just do them as explained by BD but the control and retraction of scraps is important. Lighter is better to start.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:01 am

I like standing TRX face pulls using some different angles - to face, y pulls, 90 degrees at elbow. 15- 20 total reps per set and using different angles as I get tired in one plane. Feels good, man. Don't get the same feeling from prone rowing or batwings.

I feel my mid-back and traps in a way that I don't get with anything else.

terra

Post by terra » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:36 am

I don't think there is a single way to do this type of pre/re-hab exercise...
Look at the the basic YTLW external rotator movements. Then think of 'face pulls' with a cable machine as YTLW movements against resistance.

...When you're sick of that get back to highpulls, cleans, and kettlebell snatches.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson