How do you train?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

How do you train?

Post by Bram » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:14 pm

Kettlebells? Conjugate periodization? Bodybuilding?

Whenever you can? 3-5 days a week?

Any relative goals to your training? Such as, "I do cardio to lose fat," or, "I do cardio to help condition for my sport."

Curious how people set up their training.
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: How do you train?

Post by Bram » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:57 pm

Your boy Brammy out in San Diego....

Training is to complement my surfing, and the goal is to surf better. I do as much surfing as I can handle.

Training is a mix of basics like pull-ups, bench press and lunges. Plyo's like box jumps for speed and athleticism. Lots of stabilizers like the scapular muscles and glutes.

Stretching before and after lifting (in an ideal world) and before surfing.

Edit: I usually pick 5-6 exercises each workout and do whatever reps I feel like for 2-4 sets. For example, I might do weighted chins for sets of 3 or lat pulldowns for sets of 15, but both the motions are similar.
Last edited by Bram on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:32 pm

I train for powerlifting, although it's been a while since I've competed. I primarily train to get stronger in the three powerlifts, with secondary goals of performing well at competition (when I pull my finger out and compete) and a third goal of getting stronger at other gym lifts.

I've been very, very overweight in the past, so I have a parallel goal of never getting too fat again.

I primarily train the competition lifts or derivatives of the competition lifts, i.e. pause squats, close grip bench, deficit deadlifts etc.

I don't think my training style necessarily conforms to a pre-conceived style, i.e. conjugate, linear periodization etc. I train as often as I can (mostly 3-4 days per week, sometimes 2). I cycle volume and intensity using a mix of well established principles mixed with nuggets I've picked up from others, and my own experiences and preferences.

At the moment, I'm running my second peaking cycle, following which I'll probably spend 3 months building a bigger base, and then peak big again.

Current 6 week peaking cycle will hopefully take me to 500/330/600. Aim for the end of the year is 530/350/616.

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:15 pm

Given that lifting stuff and running up stuff is the end in itself I don't think I'm actually training, just old man "exercising".

Always a minimalist, use only basic moves (chins, weighted dips, OH, BNP, inc bench, deadlifts, back/front squat, db rows, curls, tricep extensions, some laterals), conditioning several days a week (run hills, sandbag clean/press general mucking about).

I had a really good streak of linear progression going in fall/winter 2016 on a 4 day a week program (1 maj lift plus some accessories) but fucked it up by pushing for several weeks to keep the PR's coming. The wheels fell off and I regressed on everything. Still digging my way out.

Currently, back on routine that worked well in the past. 3 days a week full body. Choose 1 push, 1 pull, 1 lower body, and do approx. 5 sets of each. The push/pull/lower body excercises can change every workout and are cycled Heavy, Medium, Light over the 3 days. Generally using rep ranges as intensity guide (heavy 3-5 reps, med 6-10 reps, light 10+ reps) but sometimes a heavy pull day might be a few 20 rep sets of dumbell rows. Basically a Starr type routine but focusing more on perceived effort than actual weight on the bar. If I feel like it I'll finish with curls, tri extensions, and laterals - a single rest-pause set of each move (maybe 30 reps) with a light weight.

Run hills several days a week - 8 to 10 reps going about 80% effort. Keep legs fresh, idea is to be exhausted at end of workout, not on each individual hill. Sandbag cleans and presses, squats, thrusters, etc. a couple of times a week for fun.

I walk 5 times a week for an hour at lunch.

My overarching theme right now (which seems to be working) is to do about 80-90% of the work that I think I am actually capable on any day. The point is to leave enough in the hole that I can keep coming back and not have to take off days to recover.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:50 pm

1day handstands, strength bodyweight training, some yoga
2day handstands, some yoga
3day handstands, strength bodyweight training, some yoga
4day handstands, some yoga
5day handstands, strength bodyweight training, some yoga
6day handstands, some yoga
7day handstands, some yoga

each morning easy yoga workout (15-20min), handstands always 5-10min.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:27 pm

For a while now it's been bodyweight/calisthenics/rings type stuff like Gymnastics Bodies or Furman's Armor of War with plenty of yoga and mobility (ie. FlowFit type stuff) thrown in. I was doing GS training but kept having shoulder and elbow issues. Not the training's fault, just mine for not rehabbing properly since it is recurring. I might start throwing in some random Hard Styleee sessions though. I also do a TBDL ladder (2/3/5) once a week so I can tell myself that I am keeping up my overall strength.

All of this is done to stay young (mobile and flexible), feel good as I age, stay sexy and have a hot bod, and to compliment my true passion of mountain biking, which I plan on doing until the day I die. And I honestly really enjoy cals and yoga.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:56 pm

An eclectic hodgepodge of bullshit these days. All designed to keep me above ground, mobile, and probably in somewhat better shape than 95% of my peer group(65-70 y.o. men). Judging from people in carts at malls, younger guys with canes, and my buds at the Off Track Wagering, it's working more or less. My EHOBs consist of walking, some cals, kettlebell swings, squats, and presses, pullups, light deadlifts for 5 or 10 reps, and some Tibetan rites. Playing ball and riding bikes with grandkids seems to make my knees feel better also.

As a newly retired guy(one year tomorrow), I've found that keeping your brain active is half the key. So I've been playing chess online, handicapping horses, and have taken up accoustic guitar again. I have a musical background(piano) so it's more about learning the muscle memory chord fingering, and what strumming patterns to use. Still pretty much a neophyte there.
Last edited by DikTracy6000 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:57 pm

double post

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Since finishing a half marathon last fall, I have been lazy. Trying to do something every day, but not much. I have a highland games in four weeks, but have been peaking a bunch of lifters for a meet tomorrow so my training has gone by the wayside. Hope to ramp things back up next week, but honestly, have really been suffering in the motivation department. Might get back into riding. I trained horses for 10 years in my teens/twenties and really have missed it. And I'm actually really good at it. Unlike all this other stuff. :)
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:38 pm

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:15 pm

Mileage, a new hip, and a second career make me highly likely to not compete again. That and not being able to push my PRs.

So basic powerlifting moves adjusted a bit, some boring but big bodybuilding, and GPP to not die. Goal is to look good nekkid.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:10 pm

I talked about my training here. I really like 2x2x2.

viewtopic.php?t=228749#p855882

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:03 pm

Right now I'm doing a barbell/BW hybrid with 2 days of upper and two days of lower, off from lifting are mobility and skills with some easy cardio.

Lower body is barbell focus, with squat, FS, and DL as the main lifts. Rep scheme for the the squat is a 30-ish/20 deal where I start with a weight I can do triples with and get 10 sets in 20 minutes. Then increase the reps until I can get 6 x 6 in 20 minutes. Toss on a bit more weight and drop back down to triples again. DL is working up to a couple tough sets after squats. FS is for fun and pump.

Upper days are mainly BW cals, with a goal of being able to do a solid front lever, free handstand, and pump up the beach muscles. I'll also do a little barbell to assist in the strength. Mainly just bench and press.

Mobility is Prasara yoga and other Sonnon flows and some MovNat type stuff. I move like shit. Need to fix this.

Cardio is a bunch of walking, rucking, and riding my bike to work or around town. Some easy rowing if the weather is shitty.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Ericc
Sgt. Major

Post by Ericc » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:25 pm

I just do a bunch of stuff. I've built my endurance base to cover me for 5k - 100 miles and I work to maintain it through the year by racing as a training aid and then get specific for what I might consider an A race. Right now that would be C&O 100 and it's a hikable course so I'm looking to mainly walk with running thrown in when I need it/feel like it. After that is a tough, hilly, technical trail 50k so I'll do some hill work and fast downhill running to prepare. My strength training is mainly for fun, I like it and honestly can't say how much of it is for ultra prep, maybe a few specific core stuff, and it certainly doesn't hurt to have bigger biceps than anyone else in my age group.

newguy

Post by newguy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:37 am

Right now -

Run twice a week. Weekend run progressively longer (cycled.) Week run just to get in a run. Sometimes try for a treadmill PR during the week.

KB long cycle 1 to 3 times a week. (However many I can fit.) This is just supplemental. Over time go longer then go heavier.

Stretch/mobility as many nights as I can.

Try to find a race of some sort every 8 to 12 weeks. Either work to a new distance or try to run something I can run faster.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:20 am

I switched to the bodybuilding type of routine: several sets of 8 - 12 reps, three to four times a week, 30 - 60 minutes of LSD stationary bike in between. I tried to get lean at the beginning of the year but somehow managed to fail - lost about 6 kg with most of it, according to DEXA, being muscle. For now I am going to moderately increase my intake, ramp up protein and try to slowly gain a few kilos of (hopefully mostly) muscle.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:12 am

Rope skipping almost every day, since running hurts my groin.

As much core work as I can get without making things worse, along with planche, rope climb and hollow back press progressions.

Cardio is the most important for me because if I skip out on cardio, I can't sleep for shit.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:36 am

I use a four day rotation:

Day One: Strenght Training (three exercises, three sets, three reps, three minute rest).
Day Two: MA (alternating among Muay Thai, BJJ and FMA).
Day Three: Running (hard run under 30' / medium run under 60' / easy run under 90').
Day Four: Rest.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:33 pm

Running - trying to get at least three 7 mile plus runs a week and ParkRun on Saturdays and trying to find time for a long run on Sundays. Aiming for first half marathon at the end of May with a goal of around 1:50 rather than just finishing.

5x20 push-ups most evenings

Recently added planks after runs or after push-ups, usually 1-3 x 2 mins

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:17 am

aussie luke wrote:Running - trying to get at least three 7 mile plus runs a week and ParkRun on Saturdays and trying to find time for a long run on Sundays. Aiming for first half marathon at the end of May with a goal of around 1:50 rather than just finishing.

What of erging?

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:23 am

Cayenne wrote:
aussie luke wrote:Running - trying to get at least three 7 mile plus runs a week and ParkRun on Saturdays and trying to find time for a long run on Sundays. Aiming for first half marathon at the end of May with a goal of around 1:50 rather than just finishing.

What of erging?
Gone full running, zero erging.

2015 was all about the running, then I got the erg for cross training in early 2016 when it got too hot to run. Then I went full ergtard and stopped running.

Then my oldest kid started school this year and started coming home and going to bed early and erging was waking him up and making things difficult so I started running again on those days.

Then I realised how much I love running and it's taken over again. Actually started to get reasonably good at it and fit enough to plan to do a reasonable half marathon soon so don't want to stop just yet.

Planning to get back on the erg as it gets closer to winter here and some days it really will be too rainy to run. Hopefully then I'll find some sort of balance.

chi

Post by chi » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:18 pm

Normally 531 for the main movement with accessory work geared towards vanity.

Currently giving 531 frequency project a run as 5x 35/40 minutes a week is more viable than 3x 75/90 like I used to train .
I'd say on the bottom of that self-actualisation pyramid shit, proper decent coffee is in there with wifi, tits, food and shelter

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:19 pm

I train for health, aesthetics and performance, as defined by being able to do my pretty physical job well and being able to outplay my kids. I have moved to an increasingly minimal routine. I alternate upper and lower workouts 3 days per week usually for one top set per exercise, followed by the gxp cardio protocol. I'll do hill sprints for a 4 week period once every few months. Weights are usually machines or dumbbells. Also do mobility daily and shoot for 10k steps.

To be honest I look as good as I ever have and feel ok asides a shoulder injury that annoys me now and then. It's a nice patch for training.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:30 am

For about the last year and a half, it's:

2 days barbell: Alt DL/Sq, MP, weighted PU. 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps
2 days KB/BW/cables: 20-30 min circuits
1 day random: Sandbag, logs, hill sprints, BMF rock flips
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:44 am

stosh wrote:For about the last year and a half, it's:

2 days barbell: Alt DL/Sq, MP, weighted PU. 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps
2 days KB/BW/cables: 20-30 min circuits
1 day random: Sandbag, logs, hill sprints, BMF rock flips
I like this.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.