One arm bench (and pelvic thrusts)

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

One arm bench (and pelvic thrusts)

Post by Sangoma » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:27 am

Just sharing the impression. I read about one arm bench presses a while ago (maybe in Beyond Bodybuilding, I don't remember). I recently added them to my training. Great exercise. Being asymmetrical it works large part of the anterior chain, in addition to the usual muscle groups. Good for easier training days as the load is obviously smaller.

This instability created by one side lifting is quite obvious on this video (damn, how difficult it is to find a video of exercise without endless chattering for 90% of the time!)

While I am in the sharing mode: I have also been playing with barbell pelvic thrusts. They seem to load lower back more than the glutes, quite likely because it is my weak spot. Getting in and out of position is a bitch.

SubClaw

Re: One arm bench (and pelvic thrusts)

Post by SubClaw » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:42 am

Sangoma wrote:While I am in the sharing mode: I have also been playing with barbell pelvic thrusts. They seem to load lower back more than the glutes, quite likely because it is my weak spot.]
If you're feeling it on your lower back, you're doing it wrong (probably arching your back after your hips have reached complete extension).

Your torso should (ideally) stay the same during all the execution, providing isometric support and nothing else (try to imagine doing the hip thrust while wearing a back brace).

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:33 am

Shit. Thanks for this, SubClaw. I will pay attention next time I am doing them.

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:42 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Sangoma wrote:While I am in the sharing mode: I have also been playing with barbell pelvic thrusts. They seem to load lower back more than the glutes, quite likely because it is my weak spot.]
If you're feeling it on your lower back, you're doing it wrong (probably arching your back after your hips have reached complete extension).

Your torso should (ideally) stay the same during all the execution, providing isometric support and nothing else (try to imagine doing the hip thrust while wearing a back brace).
Yes, you're substituting lumbar extension for hip extension. Try a Cook hip lift to see the difference.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

terra

Post by terra » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:57 am

Ross is doing one arm bench in this vid at about 50 seconds (an old vid but a good one).
Interesting you posted about this exercise as I was thinking of experimenting with adding them... To add volume with making the 'boring but big' aspect of training a little less boring AND also provide some unilateral exercise for BJJ - doing more with less etc.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:05 am

Another nice surprise: Bulgarian split squat. Today I tried them for the first time ever and was surprised how useful this movement is.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:20 am

You're a mess.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:47 am

Sangoma wrote:
JFC, the man dangles that fine-ass carrot in front of you and not one of you broke-dick motherfuckers can be troubled to make a lurid comment, or even a little innuendo! [-( This place is a sad shadow of its former self.