What's volume training?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: What's volume training?

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:40 pm

The consistently missing piece is that Sets of 10 don't just equal volume and sets of 2 don't just equate to intensity.

My 20 reps squat progression...is a very low volume program. (20 working reps per week)

The way I do doubles is a VERY high volume program for me on bench. (upwards of 50 working reps per week).

Words mean different things. That is the core of most people's misunderstanding of "volume"
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:38 am

johnst_nhb wrote: Oh and Rip blabbers on about training athletes...I'd chose him over Defranco any day.

That was sarcasm.
That's one thing that irritates me about Rippetoe. He knows exactly how to fix all sports (it's squat, bench and power clean three times a week) without ever training athletes.

A while ago I made a mistake asking a question on his forum about strength training for Girevoy Sport. Boy, a can of worms that popped opened... From the trigger responses of his cocksuckers (the predominant population of his forum) to the wise crack remark by him that contradicted what he wrote about kettlebells in his book. Mind you, he feels qualified to talk about episiotomy, so I guess being dead sure about training Oly lifters is a given.

johnst_nhb
Sarge

Post by johnst_nhb » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:48 pm

Sangoma wrote:
johnst_nhb wrote: Oh and Rip blabbers on about training athletes...I'd chose him over Defranco any day.

That was sarcasm.
That's one thing that irritates me about Rippetoe. He knows exactly how to fix all sports (it's squat, bench and power clean three times a week) without ever training athletes.

A while ago I made a mistake asking a question on his forum about strength training for Girevoy Sport. Boy, a can of worms that popped opened... From the trigger responses of his cocksuckers (the predominant population of his forum) to the wise crack remark by him that contradicted what he wrote about kettlebells in his book. Mind you, he feels qualified to talk about episiotomy, so I guess being dead sure about training Oly lifters is a given.
No kidding.
And no kidding about the forum. One of the most irritating is that Dr., Sullivan. Pompous and DYEL.

Boris

Post by Boris » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:58 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:The consistently missing piece is that Sets of 10 don't just equal volume and sets of 2 don't just equate to intensity.

My 20 reps squat progression...is a very low volume program. (20 working reps per week)

The way I do doubles is a VERY high volume program for me on bench. (upwards of 50 working reps per week).

Words mean different things. That is the core of most people's misunderstanding of "volume"
I guess I get why people think that 20 reps = 'high volume', and for bodyweight exercises volume = reps. If they simply recorded (or at least mentally noted) tonnage it'd be pretty easy to understand.

Probably too much mind-blowing knowledge to say that high-intensity doesn't always have to mean low-volume and vice-versa either. Intuitively anyone who's trained in anything at a level beyond mediocre probably know this but then again I've assumed knowledge from athletes before and been proven completely wrong.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:26 am

Come on, guys, high-intensity, HIT. Arthur Jones, Mike Mentzer, Ellingrton Darden, John Lilly and so on. Spend 20 minutes at the gym, do one set of one exercise to failure, go home, get huge etc.

One thing about Yates that somewhat surprised me is him saying don't chase heavier weight. For him weight is an instrument to stimulate the muscle and get it grow. In this respect maximum/all out/do or die effort on the last rep is the most important. In view of HIT that is.

Boris

Post by Boris » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:56 pm

Sangoma wrote:Come on, guys, high-intensity, HIT. Arthur Jones, Mike Mentzer, Ellingrton Darden, John Lilly and so on. Spend 20 minutes at the gym, do one set of one exercise to failure, go home, get huge etc.

One thing about Yates that somewhat surprised me is him saying don't chase heavier weight. For him weight is an instrument to stimulate the muscle and get it grow. In this respect maximum/all out/do or die effort on the last rep is the most important. In view of HIT that is.
I don't know if you aren't thinking it through or just want to keep the thread alive, but ok.

HIT is probably fine volume-wise. I haven't looked at bodybuilding for over 25 years, but the approach doesn't preclude volume. If I do some warm-up, then one all out set for 3-5 different exercises/bodypart, I'll work in plenty of volume.