Glute Thrusts

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Glute Thrusts

Post by Beer Jew » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:41 pm

I've started doing glute thrusts in training, but I've noticed something interesting.

If I start with the barbell on the floor, firstly, it's incredibly uncomfortable. And not the "man up" kind of uncomfortable, but the uncomfortable where anything over 315 really bruises my hips. Secondly, if I start with the bar on the floor, it crushes into my stomach, and doesn't really allow me to take in air and get tight. Doing them this way, 350 felt very heavy.

So today I tried doing them with the bar on 2 inch blocks, i.e. the plates are elevated 2 inches off the ground. Done this way, I was able to get into a tight position, take in air and get tight, and work up to 405 for sets of 8 very comfortably. Best of all, the only part of me that I felt these in was my glutes, rather than a pair of bruised hip bones.

I did them exactly like the bloke in the video below, only with the bar resting on the blocks (and therefore perhaps one inch above my hips in the start position).

Is there anything about this that's wrong? (Other than the fact that I'm doing hip thrusts)? Am I somehow ruining the movement or am I worrying about nothing?

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: Glute Thrusts

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:46 pm

Aside from the dubiously frooty practice of overloading physical therapy movements no...not a damn thing wrong with that...carry on.

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:54 pm

Good enough for me. I'll let you all know when I have buns of steel.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:58 pm

why are you doing them?
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:13 pm

I've never felt my glutes actually working in any exercise. Whether they'll help the lifts or not, the sad reality is that there's no muscle in my glutes. If you touch them durin a set of squats they're soft.

I'm hoping to (a) build some glutes purely for the sake of building glutes, and (b) learn what it feels like to use them. Plus I've never done these before and I like trying out things to see how I respond.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:09 am

You're not alone. Teaching people to use their ass is my primary job as a strength coach. Its the largest muscle group in the body and yet people let it sit there like a little princess. Don't let your ass be a princess.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:45 am

The only thing I miss in the video is a brief pause at the top of the movement, squeezing your glutes really hard and making sure you are not overarching your back. I don't see anything wrong in using blocks.

I do love hip thrusts (you can move a lot of weight and it's very useful for a BJJ guy), but I'm not sure if they are that useful for a powerlifter.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:53 am

Interestingly that's the one difference between how I do them and the video does them. I consciously pause at the top and squeeze my glutes.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:27 pm

If you're having trouble with this squeezing principle can you have someone else squeeze them at the top? Or maybe through the whole range of motion?

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ripe Turd » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:38 pm

Beer Jew wrote:I've never felt my glutes actually working in any exercise. Whether they'll help the lifts or not, the sad reality is that there's no muscle in my glutes. If you touch them durin a set of squats they're soft.

I'm hoping to (a) build some glutes purely for the sake of building glutes, and (b) learn what it feels like to use them. Plus I've never done these before and I like trying out things to see how I respond.
Maybe some "convict conditioning" could help you... :ANAL:

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:23 pm

Try the Indonesian Squat from Combat Rok. I don't think any other exercise has woken my glutes up more than this.
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful