IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:18 am

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Deload weeks
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:47 am 
Sgt. Major

Coming up on a deload week in my program and there seems to be a few different schools of though on this. The original 5/3/1 and JM is just easy sets of 5 @ 40/50/60% on the main lift and 50% volume reduction on any assistance work.
Current trends from reading and watching the youtubes is about a 10-20% reduction in weight and 20-30% reduction in volume on the main lifts and just do some light bodybuilding fluff for assistance.

What's your current thinking on structuring in planned deload week?

Post subject: Re: Deload weeks
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:29 am 

Depends.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:56 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

60-80 rule. 60-80% of volume at 60-80% of the intensity. Easy on the assistance.

My experience was that doing lifts or movements other than the main lift helps,you recover a bit better, but doing the main lifts at a reduced volume and intensity helps you hold your groove better. I moved from the former to the latter.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:15 pm 
Sgt. Major

What level are you performing at? If you're not elite, the difference between 40, 60 or 80% on your deload week probably doesn't make much of a difference.

Do a little, and if you don't feel recovered the following week do a little less next time.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:19 pm 
Lifetime IGer

One way to tackle it is to use the typical overload techniques but in reverse. Instead of overloading a block pull, drop the load down and do reps at a lighter weight. Or use accommodating resistance. use chains but at a lower bar weight and greater proportion of chain weight.

Something we do for a lot of lifters during heavy build blocks is lower the volume by about 20-30% on main lifts but we literally DE LOAD the bar either by bands or chains and in many cases, with reduced ROM.

benches are done with reverse bands or boards but at no more than 80% of working weight for that rep range..usually 3-6. So If I'm benching 315x5 normally, I'd do 315x4 with a reverse band unloading maybe 30-40 pounds at the chest.
Squats are done primarily with chain weight or reverse bands...same as bench.
deadlifts, if done, are trap bar, reverse band or block pulls in the 60% range.

For a lot of people (not all) this allows lifters to keep heavy-ish weight in their hands but radically de-stress the movement.

Flipping back to the waaay waaay back machine, for cycling and speedskating, on a deload, the mileage drops radically...almost in half I think and we motorpace or sit-in a pack. sometimes with gear restrictions.

This equates to less force on the pedal but maintaining the same relative speed and pedal cadence...less stress but you're still going fast. In running there are probably ways to do this, for rucking I've just started experimenting, with same distance as loaded ruck, but with less load or no load at the same pace.

Remember what we're trying to do here. Strength training is moving heavy weight. Endurance is about holding a fast pace. If you can touch heavy weight with less stress or hold a high pace with less effort...you've de-loaded but you've not gotten away from the sensations of the task you're training.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:01 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
One way to tackle it is to use the typical overload techniques but in reverse. Instead of overloading a block pull, drop the load down and do reps at a lighter weight. Or use accommodating resistance. use chains but at a lower bar weight and greater proportion of chain weight.

Something we do for a lot of lifters during heavy build blocks is lower the volume by about 20-30% on main lifts but we literally DE LOAD the bar either by bands or chains and in many cases, with reduced ROM.

benches are done with reverse bands or boards but at no more than 80% of working weight for that rep range..usually 3-6. So If I'm benching 315x5 normally, I'd do 315x4 with a reverse band unloading maybe 30-40 pounds at the chest.
Squats are done primarily with chain weight or reverse bands...same as bench.
deadlifts, if done, are trap bar, reverse band or block pulls in the 60% range.

For a lot of people (not all) this allows lifters to keep heavy-ish weight in their hands but radically de-stress the movement.

Flipping back to the waaay waaay back machine, for cycling and speedskating, on a deload, the mileage drops radically...almost in half I think and we motorpace or sit-in a pack. sometimes with gear restrictions.

This equates to less force on the pedal but maintaining the same relative speed and pedal cadence...less stress but you're still going fast. In running there are probably ways to do this, for rucking I've just started experimenting, with same distance as loaded ruck, but with less load or no load at the same pace.

Remember what we're trying to do here. Strength training is moving heavy weight. Endurance is about holding a fast pace. If you can touch heavy weight with less stress or hold a high pace with less effort...you've de-loaded but you've not gotten away from the sensations of the task you're training.
Good explanation!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:44 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I just completed my deload: three weeks holiday in Europe. No percentages here, beer for breakfast, no exercise activity except walking between restaurants and see-food diet. I look very smooth. But I feel I am going to start breaking PRs one after the other.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:37 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Speaking of the above mentioned holiday. I can't think of any city in I recently visited that would be as grand as Moscow. Wide streets, impeccably clean, very friendly (big change since my time and even last visit two years ago), bustling with tourists, great restaurants, excellent service everywhere and, of course, loads of culture - theatres, museums and various performances around the clock. History doesn't hurt either. For example, the memorial inscription on one of the building says "in this place Ivan Fedorov produced first printed text in 1536". Australia was discovered 200 years later.

What I am getting at, I highly recommend Moscow as holiday destination, especially for the Europeans, just because it's closer. You guys don't have to endure 20 hours of traveling like me.