Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

playing hurt

Post by dead man walking » Tue May 16, 2017 11:22 pm

the stanley cup--where bad judgment masquerades as manhood

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/15/spor ... front&_r=0
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Re: playing hurt

Post by Ripe Turd » Wed May 17, 2017 12:30 am

Heh. High school football coaches pushing us to play hurt when we were younger. One of the stupidest thing to do to a young athlete, IMO.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Wed May 17, 2017 1:06 am

dead man walking wrote:the stanley cup--where bad judgment masquerades as manhood

Contract year for Thornton. I don't follow hockey closely, but these decisions might be entirely rational given the contract structure in the sport.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay » Wed May 17, 2017 1:53 am

Turdacious wrote:
dead man walking wrote:the stanley cup--where bad judgment masquerades as manhood

Contract year for Thornton. I don't follow hockey closely, but these decisions might be entirely rational given the contract structure in the sport.
Yup

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:00 pm

When someone is paying out the amounts of money the pros make - they expect you on the field - and they don't give a shit about your "problems". I was just a walking mailman - and nobody cared if my knee looked like it ate a softball - just if I could make it around without going into overtime.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Wed May 17, 2017 4:34 pm

Turdacious wrote: Contract year for Thornton. I don't follow hockey closely, but these decisions might be entirely rational given the contract structure in the sport.
the guy is in his late 30s and has had a hall of fame career, but he still has to prove himself.

what have you done for me recently?

based on his beard alone, he deserves a fat deal
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed May 17, 2017 9:29 pm

Sport is a show business, and that includes articles about players getting on the field with injuries is part of it. Now scores of governing bodies will have their hands occupied with - and expenses justified for - developing and implementing "hurt-no-play" campaign. It can only stop if the money factor - as in shit load of money factor - is taken away from the sport. Not gonna happen, and so limbs, tendons, ligaments and grey matter will continue to be sacrificed for the spectators' viewing pleasure.

On the other hand, why should athletes be different from the mere mortals? IN the last twenty years I maybe called in sick twice, when I just physically couldn't get out of bed. I am sure the majority here will relate to that. Public servants are the only ones who can afford the luxury of not going to work if they wake up with a running nose. The rest of us have to work, no matter how crook we feel, most of the time anyway.