New dad training

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

New dad training

Post by Beer Jew » Mon May 22, 2017 9:57 pm

In about two weeks time, I'll hopefully become a dad. Work stress is already through the roof, we're in the process of moving house, and there's a bunch of other things going on.

I reckon I can get to the gym for 1-2 hours twice a week for the foreseeable future.

My goals in that time are to lean up a bit, get a little fitter and maintain strength.

Outside of the gym, I could probably get 0.5-1 hours of something in each day at home. I'm pretty terrible at making things like this a habit so the ideal is something simple like push ups that I can do easily without too much effort to set up.

Given the above parameters, what would you recommend?

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Re: New dad training

Post by syaigh » Mon May 22, 2017 10:14 pm

Walk the baby. Let your wife sleep. Try and sleep when you can. Meditate or do something for stress relief. Do that for 6 months and then ask about your training.

Seriously.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:32 pm

Spend any "free" time you can find sleeping - you'll understand this in about 2 weeks :)

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Mon May 22, 2017 11:27 pm

Plan nothing. Your life will be turned upside down and you will have no idea - for a while at least.

Some things that have worked for me (now with a 2 and a 4 year old):

Kettlebells - quiet and can use in a spare room/in front of tv

Push-ups - just Plan to do like 100 a day in sets of 10-20 every time you go to the bathroom or something

Rowing - baby's love repetitive noise. Wish I'd figured out sooner that a C2 rower is perfect to have in the house and you could literally wheel baby up nearby and sooth them to sleep while you train

Running - once they were old enough to sleep a whole night until about 7am I could get up and out of the house for a run without waking them or mum up

Getting used to being tired - you're just going to have to know when you are tired enough to still train at a lower intensity - or when you really would be better off sleeping. Training is good for the mind and the soul, but sometimes you're just fucking exhausted.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Tue May 23, 2017 1:42 am

Beer Jew wrote:
So many ways to go with this...

1-2 hours 2x/wk? That's 4 hours of training outside the house. You should be able to get everything important done, especially with your low-bar goals (lose fat, get fit, stay kinda strong). Two good work sets on everything, one heavy and low reps, and one heavy and high reps. You also have at least 30 minutes at home on the other days?? That's more than enough time to swing a kettlebell and get tired, or go for a jog, or do some hot naked yoga. Whatever.

Diet will fix your fat problem.

What drugs do you have access to? That will really change things.

All that lifestyle advice above? Ignore it! Wives and babies need discipline and direction, not some weak sop flouncing about the house with a burp rag over his shoulder!
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Tue May 23, 2017 2:49 am

Read the other new dad threads for non-training plans. You are very likely overestimating capacity. I talked to a guy about putting a program together for me when my son was two weeks old. I remembered to circle back with him "a few weeks later" which to my surprise turned out to be eight months passed.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue May 23, 2017 3:05 am

Get as much child support as possible from the biological father.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue May 23, 2017 9:42 am

Take it easy. New baby does turn your life upside down. But then new routines set in. After couple of weeks you won't remember the time you didn't have a kid. Be prepared for getting shit from your wife; new baby gives them the feeling of empowerment and entitlement, and "the baby!" becomes an excuse of all kind of erratic behaviour. Post-natal blues of varying degrees exaggerate all issues that may arise. Try not to take things too seriously.

Training wise - I predict that you will have to let some things slide for a while. Curiously enough, first couple of months are less stressful than the time when the kid turns six months old or so and starts crawling, getting everything in sight into his mouth and trying to injure himself in every possible way. Don't get me wrong, kids are the light of life, and watching them grow is a very, very enjoyable enterprise. They do require considerable sacrifices though.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Tue May 23, 2017 9:24 pm

Beer Jew wrote:I reckon I can get to the gym for 1-2 hours twice a week for the foreseeable future.
Outside of the gym, I could probably get 0.5-1 hours of something in each day at home.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha!
[-X No.

Your goals are: keep the baby alive, keep your wife as sane as possible, get some sleep when you can, and control as much of the damage to your strength & fitness as practical.

I don't remember a single thing about my son's first hundred days. It's a blur. We had another kid in the house, a 12yo whom I had to drive to & from school, and buy food for. She's still around, so those things must have gotten done somehow; but I have no memory of it.

I suspect the best you'll be able to do is lose only 3 months of progress over the next 6 months. If you can manage that, you'll have done pretty decently. Try not to stress about it: you have enough to worry about. I guess "watch" your diet to the extent that you can: but I worry about managing caloric deficit on top of sleep deficit and the constant low- to medium-level stress of having a healthy newborn in the house. I also worry about extra training stress on top of that: but you know a shit-ton more about lifting than I do. Just, lower expectations and give yourself a little bit of a break.

(But congratulations! It's awesome.)
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Tue May 23, 2017 10:17 pm

the guys here are painting a picture that's much bleaker than the reality will be.

you won't be getting any pussy for a long time, so you can take those many hours you used to devote to sex and easily fit your lifting in.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue May 23, 2017 10:21 pm

Seriously..just take over the cooking duties so you can eat semi clean and regular. If you get a day a week in the gym, I'm impressed.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc » Tue May 23, 2017 11:08 pm

syaigh wrote:Walk the baby. Let your wife sleep. Try and sleep when you can. Meditate or do something for stress relief. Do that for 6 months and then ask about your training.

Seriously.
This^^^. Sometimes do the calisthenics or kb exercises of your choice throughout the day as a caffeine substitute.
This is time of your life when it's not about you.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Wed May 24, 2017 4:43 am

It would be so ironic that the guy who is always pissing on Easy Strength, calisthenics and KBs ended up doing something rather similar.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Fri May 26, 2017 12:03 am

What syaigh said.
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:11 pm

TerryB wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:42 am
Beer Jew wrote:
So many ways to go with this...

1-2 hours 2x/wk? That's 4 hours of training outside the house. You should be able to get everything important done, especially with your low-bar goals (lose fat, get fit, stay kinda strong). Two good work sets on everything, one heavy and low reps, and one heavy and high reps. You also have at least 30 minutes at home on the other days?? That's more than enough time to swing a kettlebell and get tired, or go for a jog, or do some hot naked yoga. Whatever.
Oddly, considering the source, this is good advice.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.