Deadlift w/ hex plates

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Fuzzy Dunlop

Deadlift w/ hex plates

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:58 pm

my gym only has hex plates.

I have been doing a mix of touch and go and full dead lift. If I touch and go there is little to no roll of the bar at the bottom, when I do a full dead stop the bar often shifts because of the hex plates. It's fine right now as i'm at the start of DJ's big 5 x 40 days (or whatever it's called) and the weight is light. I am apprehensive to let the bar roll w/ anything at or above 315 though.

Aside from "new gym" does anyone have thoughts on this? should I switch to RDL? Keep touch and go? reposition feet every rep if I get a significant shift when I put the bar down?

I've not had to deal with this ever before.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: Deadlift w/ hex plates

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:32 am

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:58 pm

I have been doing a mix of touch and go and full dead lift. If I touch and go there is little to no roll of the bar at the bottom, when I do a full dead stop the bar often shifts because of the hex plates. It's fine right now as i'm at the start of DJ's big 5 x 40 days (or whatever it's called) and the weight is light. I am apprehensive to let the bar roll w/ anything at or above 315 though.

Aside from "new gym" does anyone have thoughts on this? should I switch to RDL? Keep touch and go? reposition feet every rep if I get a significant shift when I put the bar down?

EMOM solves this issue. A single at the top of every minute.

That said, I've made most of my best DL progress doing clink and go DL...you need to lower it with care until the end plates just clink and then reverse it...sets of 3-12 did good shit for me. More specific than and RDL and fairly hard.

Alternating between singles from the floor and clink and go is a good mixture.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Boris

Post by Boris » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:40 am

You might avoid some mess by standing on a couple plates or a low box and deadlifting off of pins set low. It'll be noisy though and depending on how heavy you go (and the quality of the bar), you might bend the bar.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:30 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:32 am
EMOM solves this issue. A single at the top of every minute.
EMOM is a bit problematic in a commercial gym environment. You can't usually hog a barbell for that long.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:18 pm

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:58 pm

When I read this I silently wish good fortune to the unknown person who decided to throw way the bumper plates at the Navy gyms I trained at. You might check the leg press and see if they have 100s to use as the first plate on the deadlift bar.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:01 am

Come on man, we're talking about someone pulling in maybe the low 300s. No shame in that of course, but navelgazing about how exactly to rep out the deadlift is kind of silly here.

If touch n go is working with the hex plates, go to town. You'll be fine.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:33 am

Im probably pulling in the low to mid 400s, FWIW. not strong but its certainly enough weight to pop a disc if technique is sloppy from starting crooked.

Either way, touch and go has been working, though i feel like im cheating a little.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:48 am

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:33 am
Im probably pulling in the low to mid 400s, FWIW. not strong but its certainly enough weight to pop a disc if technique is sloppy from starting crooked.

Either way, touch and go has been working, though i feel like im cheating a little.
You're only cheating if you subscribe to certain random standards set by random douchebags who will never be satisfied with anything anyone else does. Fuck them.

You know, I coach a lot of folks. My powerlifters do pauses on their lifts. My regular folks do touch and go. You know why? cause pauses are required at competition. If you can lift 400 lbs, you are a strong motherfucker compared to the rest of the world. If you can do reps at 400, you are even stronger. Anyone who says otherwise can fuck off.

And yes, most of my women can lift 300-375. One lifts 430+, but they are dedicated strength athletes. Most average men I train start at 250-300 and it takes a long time to get to 400. If you are already there, you're on your way. Strong work.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.