IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:58 am

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mindset and Performance
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:08 pm 
Sgt. Major

Ever since watching a film from 2000 called the Tao of Steve, I've been curious about the affect of mindset on performance.

In the movie, an overweight, stoner kindergarten teacher is successful in dating, even though he doesn't have a lot of money or is all that attractive. As a philosophy undergrad he looked at global philosophies (Lao Tzu, the Buddha, Kierkegaard, the behavior of James Bond, etc.) and how they relate to success with dating.

His overarching philosophy was based on three principles:

Be excellent
Be desire-less
Be gone

I saw this as a 21 year old and thought it was fascinating, a few basic things to center your mind around. I felt it wasn't genuine for me to behave that way (even though I had an out-of-my-league hot and horny girlfriend from following it), but the idea has stuck with me for athletic performance.

So 17 years later, and after trying maybe 30 different principles, I've found that focusing on three things has dramatically increased my surfing performance.

Doing my best
Feeling
Connecting

If I focus on these things, my surfing performance becomes instinctual versus purposeful. Feeling the speed of the wave determines the turns or lack of turns.

I offer this in hopes that it will benefit you in your sport.

Do you have something similar you've done that benefits your sport or activity?

As a bit of clarity, I literally just repeat "Do my best, feel, connect" in my head when I'm surfing. That's about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:28 pm 
Lifetime IGer

From Peter Ralston, I use these focus points in skiing, MTBike riding, kayaking, etc.

Relaxed: be aware and remove tension
Centered: place your awareness of where you are on your CG (about your belly button) not your head/eyes
Whole: all movements are of the body as a whole
Grounded: include the ground, wave, whatever in your awareness of "where you are". Imagine you extend into the ground or wave, rooted.
Calm: no extra flopping around

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:45 pm 
Sgt. Major

Quote:
From Peter Ralston, I use these focus points in skiing, MTBike riding, kayaking, etc.

Centered: place your awareness of where you are on your CG (about your belly button) not your head/eyes
Grounded: include the ground, wave, whatever in your awareness of "where you are". Imagine you extend into the ground or wave, rooted.
Ah nice ones!

I've used relaxed before, I found it very helpful. Haven't tried any of the others. One of my errors is I tend to move my arms like I'm wielding nunchuks, the calm one could work really well for that. Thanks for sharing Nafod.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:54 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:

Nice. Did this come from one of his books?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:49 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
Nice. Did this come from one of his books?
Yup. Zen Body-Being: An Enlightened Approach to Physical Skill, Grace, and Power. Cool book. Pragmatic.
https://www.amazon.com/Zen-Body-Being-E ... 1583941592

He does an E-course based on the stuff.
http://chenghsin.com/art-of-being-a-body.html

The Principles of an Effortlessly Effective Body-Being
  • Centering: locating and being able to focus mind and feeling-attention, as well as move the whole body from, the bodies center.
  • Grounding: developing a stronger connection and feeling-association with the ground - drawing power from the ground.
  • Being Whole and Unified: being capable of feeling every cubic inch of the entire body and learning to unify this whole in awareness and action.
  • Relaxing: being able to let go of the mind and muscles and allow the body to attain a natural, open, and unused state.
  • Being Calm: learning to allow the mind and attention to be undisturbed by circumstance, and to refrain from creating negative or inappropriate thoughts and reactions.

An earlier book is a more opaque read, Cheng Hsin: The Principles of Effortless Power , https://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Hsin-Princ ... 08JJEADHD7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:02 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Thanks. Ralston has given me good info in the past. This will go on the "buy soon" list.