Low frequency deadlifting?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Brutal Bajan
Gunny

Low frequency deadlifting?

Post by Brutal Bajan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:23 am

Does anyone have any knowledges with regards to low frequency (think once every other week) deadlifting? I ask because my deadlift has basically not moved in the last 2 years, despite my bench and squat increasing regularly. I've tried high frequency, moderate frequency, high volume, low volume, high intensity, low intensity, and my deadlift has gone from 600 to 611 in 2 years.

The only thing I haven't tried is low frequency pulling...

odin
Sgt. Major

Re: Low frequency deadlifting?

Post by odin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:40 pm

some very early westside style template I followed had you doing DE pulls weekly but only going heavy once a month or every other week - and that was either a max effort rack pull variant or some other variation. On top of that you did lots of bodybuilding for the back and box squats. It worked for me, but my DL was at least 120lbs less than yours at the time.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:05 pm

Stan Efferding had a routine when he powerlifted where he squatted one week and deadlifted the next. He benched the other day (It was a 2 day/week program).

He talks about it here, but it doesn't give the program details.

http://npcnewsonline.com/powerbuilding- ... gym/63930/
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:59 pm

Works best for bigger guys. Got to be doing lots of squatting and GMs and grip work assistance.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Brutal Bajan
Gunny

Post by Brutal Bajan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Thanks all. I was thinking of deadlift once every other week, and on my non-deadlift deadlift days, doing squats, GMs, RDLs, GHRs, reverse hypers etc... to try and "build" a better deadlift. Basically focus on assistance exercises for the major muscle groups in that make up the hinge pattern.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:00 am

The stronger you get, the less frequent you deadlift heavy.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:53 am

When Eddie Hall came to my gym last year, he said he pulls heavy one week, does speed deadlifts the next. He swore it would work for anyone. From Instagram, I can tell Thor does something very similar. When my knee heals and I'm up to trying to do "heavy" again, I'm probably going to give it a run
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:00 am

When Eddie Hall came to my gym last year, he said he pulls heavy one week, does speed deadlifts the next. He swore it would work for anyone. From Instagram, I can tell Thor does something very similar. When my knee heals and I'm up to trying to do "heavy" again, I'm probably going to give it a run
This.

There are lots of good programs that don't involve heavy deadlifting every week. But if you are doing the every other week thing, you should be doing some pulls (RDLs, SLDLs, Speed Deads) as assistance on the weeks you aren't deadlifting heavy.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:47 pm

tonkadtx wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:00 am
This.

There are lots of good programs that don't involve heavy deadlifting every week. But if you are doing the every other week thing, you should be doing some pulls (RDLs, SLDLs, Speed Deads) as assistance on the weeks you aren't deadlifting heavy.
Yup. He pointed out specifically that the speed deads on alternate works go a long way toward grooving the movement. And they have to be genuine speed work. You should be able to just stand up with the weight.

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:10 pm

Bajan, Btw I'm in Holetown right now - 3rd time in about 3 years - just got here a couple of hours ago at a regular house that we rent. Well stay for a few weeks. For some reason, I just actually noticed your Bajan tag. Beautiful country and even better people.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:09 pm

The Ginger Beard Man wrote:When Eddie Hall came to my gym last year, he said he pulls heavy one week, does speed deadlifts the next. He swore it would work for anyone.
He pointed out specifically that the speed deads on alternate works go a long way toward grooving the movement. And they have to be genuine speed work.
What's a speed deadlift?
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:03 pm

JimZipCode wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:09 pm
The Ginger Beard Man wrote:When Eddie Hall came to my gym last year, he said he pulls heavy one week, does speed deadlifts the next. He swore it would work for anyone.
He pointed out specifically that the speed deads on alternate works go a long way toward grooving the movement. And they have to be genuine speed work.
What's a speed deadlift?
Ten sets of three explosive reps at 40%-60% with one minute rest between sets.

Dynamic Effort in Westside lingo.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:05 am

SubClaw wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:03 pm
JimZipCode wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:09 pm
What's a speed deadlift?
Ten sets of three explosive reps at 40%-60% with one minute rest between sets.

Dynamic Effort in Westside lingo.
With a weight you can stand up with easily. If you're not coming up easily, it's too heavy.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:08 am

If I'm doing Power Cleans, is there any point to also doing speed deadlifts?
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:12 pm

JimZipCode wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:08 am
Now that's a GOOD question I'm unable to answer.

If your power cleans were REALLY light (along the lines of a first or second warm up sets), I guess they could be your DE hinge lift.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:45 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:12 pm
JimZipCode wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:08 am
Now that's a GOOD question I'm unable to answer.

If your power cleans were REALLY light (along the lines of a first or second warm up sets), I guess they could be your DE hinge lift.
I'd say yes. The purpose of speed deadlifts is to groove technique, and the technique for power cleans is not the same.