What's better...

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

What's better...

Post by Sangoma » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:44 am

Split routines or whole body workouts with rotating exercises. Say, three exercise for muscle group - chest, shoulders and triceps on Monday, lower body on Wednesday and back, biceps and abs on Friday, or one exercise for each body part every workout?

dkay
Sarge

Re: What's better...

Post by dkay » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Depends on what you want out of your training. I have always preferred full body to splits - for my purposes of general health it makes no difference. Right now I'm lifting 4-5 times a week (in my garage) plus some walking, hill running and sandbag stuff for cardio. Every workout I choose one lower body/one upper push/one upper pull from the limited basics that work for me (dip, pull-up , dbrow, dl, fs, back squat, inc bench, bnp, oh) plus maybe a couple high rep sets of accessories from my faves (curls, tri extensions, laterals, ab wheel). I'm doing 25-50 reps of every move per workout, rep range is 5-10 for compounds and 15+ on accessories - I don't really care about number of sets. I try to work progressively on compound exercises. Workouts last about 30mins and weekly volume adds up. Daily exercise has always been cornerstone for me, but I've reached a point in life where I can't be bothered wasting time in the gym.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:37 pm

Damn, man. You've been on here for 10 years and still ask questions like this?
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:53 pm

whichever one you do and interests you, really

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:00 pm

http://www.subtlestrength.com/the-feed/ ... nes-better

People with mild autism explain things good.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:34 am

Good talk. IN case someone is interested, the link to the lecture he referenced:

Periodization Paradigms in the 21st Century: Evidence-Led or Tradition-Driven?

Really Big Strong Guy

Post by Really Big Strong Guy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:14 pm

Depends on goals. Honestly, if you are doing any form of athletic endeavor it's better, IMO, to do total body. Things are always easier when you are stronger - to an extent. When you perform an athletic endeavor (whatever that may be), it's better to realize that you have one body that does that athletic movement. Just my opinion.
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........