Sonnon's Yoga

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

JimZipCode

Sonnon's Yoga

Post by JimZipCode » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:07 am

Anyone tried any of Sonnon's yoga? Not just "Prasara", but also the "Progressive" one?

This was tacked onto the end of a newsletter I get from an Aussie judo coach:
Here are some great Yoga and Recovery stuff:
Yoga for BJJ by a BJJ and Judo guy called Sebastian Broshce
Progressive Yoga by Scott Sonnon (Sambo and BJJ guy)
Sonnon's name caught my attention; and I think this judo coach is very good. I like the sound of "simplified, non-traditional yoga" for the "practical minded".

I know that YRG are Swenson are popular here. Have sampled both. Curious about Sonnon.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

odin
Sgt. Major

Re: Sonnon's Yoga

Post by odin » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:04 am

Not seen this specific product, but his movement and mobility protocols are usually good albeit they come with some pretentious marketing angle. If you can zone this out then it's generally a safe purchase.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:01 pm

JimZipCode wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:07 am
Anyone tried any of Sonnon's yoga? Not just "Prasara", but also the "Progressive" one?

This was tacked onto the end of a newsletter I get from an Aussie judo coach:
Here are some great Yoga and Recovery stuff:
Yoga for BJJ by a BJJ and Judo guy called Sebastian Broshce
Progressive Yoga by Scott Sonnon (Sambo and BJJ guy)
Sonnon's name caught my attention; and I think this judo coach is very good. I like the sound of "simplified, non-traditional yoga" for the "practical minded".

I know that YRG are Swenson are popular here. Have sampled both. Curious about Sonnon.
Don't have first hand knowledge of the Progressive Yoga, but I can recommend the Prasara yoga and IntuFlow mobility. The Prasara can be a bit advanced, but the DVD breaks is down in to the basic movements and then you work that section of the flow until it's good and then work on adding in the next movement in the sequence until you can get through the entire sequence.

I've got the Prasara instructional DVDs and book. Shoot me a PM if you'd like to borrow.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:44 am

Try some Russian Yoga:

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:46 pm

That looks advanced. Is there some way to break it down into the basic movements?
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:06 pm

JimZipCode wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:46 pm
That looks advanced. Is there some way to break it down into the basic movements?
First flow in the sequence is to find yourself in such a shitty life situation that a liter of clear liquor seems like a good idea.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:24 am

JimZipCode wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:46 pm
You have to take your time developing asanas. An example of progression:

Balasana:

Khalasana:

Maryariasana:

Ananda Balasana (opens up the hips):

And, finally, the Dolphin. It opens up the shoulder girdle:

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:02 am

=D>

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:15 pm

Sonnons last few emails have been just fucking awful. "I started as a fat retarded kid" ect ect.
I've unsubscribed.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:11 am

tough old man wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:15 pm
Sonnons last few emails have been just fucking awful. "I started as a fat retarded kid" ect ect.
I've unsubscribed.
Agreed. You'd think he was Sloth from the fucking Goonies and managed to turn himself into some Thor/Einstein hybrid via his secret methods.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:03 pm

That whole "I was a fat learning disabled kid" thing was not mentioned, ever, until a few years ago. Right after he started doing it, he also started stuttering in his videos, and pausing and holding his head, like he was thinking of the word to say...there is a clear demarkation video....before that video, he never mentioned this stuff and talked pretty clearly and concisely, after that video, he acts like he's overcoming something in each one.

I have a pretty hard time believing it's anything but some kind of odd marketing ploy, a fat, learning disabled kid doesn't go to Russia in late 90s to study sambo or systema or whatever it is.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:24 pm

Is Sonnen still the world champ on Jeek Kun Do?
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:54 pm

Today: TACFIT Kettlebell Spetsnaz!