It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:44 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: 2017, new shit?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:00 am 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
Cool story.

I'd love to learn to surf, but with my fubar shoulder I literally can't paddle. I built my surf kayak, which has a surfboard shaped bottom and a tri-fin setup. Getting out past the break in that can be serious trial. I look for rip currents to ride out. My kayak roll is not high percentage when I get rolled by a good sized wave, which means I have to swim it back in, dump it out, and head back out. Big motivator to get the bombproof roll. Once past the break I can maneuver fast and catch waves surfers can't (but I stay well clear of surfers).

Actually, the most fun is catching small waves. You can catch about anything.

But anyway, I got the paddle board while at the beach for the two week vacation, and paddled it around in the ocean on the offshore wind days with low swells. Could paddle it out through the small breaks and deal with the swells, and had caught a few waves too. Tons of fun. Looking forward to getting back down there. I paddle it in running creeks here, which develops some balance skills.
If you haven't tried a Greenland paddle it may mitigate shoulder issues and make rolling a lot easier. Got a carbon one and it is awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:02 am 

Quote:
terra: nice template there, glad you are getting what you need out of it.
Thanks Shaf.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:26 am 
Staff Sergeant

New job. Moved my family from the South, where we'd been for two years, to CT. I'm a boarding school teacher and the current school has, in many ways, a lower quality of life than the GA school. Saturday morning classes, more coaching responsibilities, longer days. BUT, it's like the school I went to for high school and the first boarding school I worked at, and is full of good kids and good people. My head is in a much better place with many fewer things to worry about. Consequently, intermittent fasting, largely just dinners, is easier to do, and, importantly, to do well. I'm down four belt sizes off a new belt I got at the end of June and am hoping to get back on the erg and in the weight room as I iron out my sleep schedule (and the baby irons out his...).

Plus, my school is the Notre Dame/Alabama/USC/whatever of high school rowing. Tradition and resources and success the envy of any team in the country. And I can walk from my house to the boathouse faster than I can get to a soccer field. So, things are good, which is new shit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:41 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

This has been my offtime focus this year mostly.

Attachments:
jack-is-good-not-only-for-monster-pike.jpg
jack-is-good-not-only-for-monster-pike.jpg [ 86.74 KiB | Viewed 1111 times ]
gsl7779bowl101108.jpg
gsl7779bowl101108.jpg [ 78.27 KiB | Viewed 1111 times ]

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:17 am 
Staff Sergeant

At the start of 2017 I was running this program:
https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-b ... al-lifters

It sounds gimmicky but it worked. Adding time factors and a wider range of exercises into my training really helped with size, shape and also kept me injury free. Powerlifting came back into the mix but my body didn't feel anywhere as good. I suspect my strength gains truly came off the back of the powerlifting templates I was running but this was an interesting experiment.