IronGarm

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:15 am

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2017, new shit?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:41 pm 
Sgt. Major

You guys up to anything different with your training/lives this year?

I've been doing higher volume stuff or more of a bodybuilding focus (8 sets of biceps, 8 sets of triceps for example) and trying to get yoga in 2x+ a week.

Post subject: Re: 2017, new shit?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:14 am 
Staff Sergeant

See this.

http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=229249

This is literally the perfect amount of training for me. I did the full 40, then another 10 with different lifts. I tried switching things up for a week, and crashed bad. I went right back to it, and I'm rolling along nicely again. My only adjustment is every third cardio/conditioning workout is now ddpyoga/yrg instead of intervals. I think I'm getting enough anaerobic from weights and judo, the yoga is addressing the tightness from everything else.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am 
Sgt. Major

I liked that you found something that works, then slightly tweaked it to give you some extra benefits.

That's a great program you've got, thanks for sharing it

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:54 pm 
Lifetime IGer

I picked up a paddleboard, and have been SUP-ing all over the place. Ocean, bays, rivers, lakes...good fun workout.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:23 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

I got back to riding horses. Interesting thing, this was my main mode of exercise from 13-20. I feel like I have regained some strength I haven't felt in years. I have hip dysplasia and wonder if returning to a developmental exercise (exercise I did while I was growing) has been good for me.

I also have been running a little bit. A little bit seems to be just right, lowers my blood pressure (I have some medical issues that make it abnormally high) to a normal good level and I'm not dealing with the orthopedic issues that training for a half marathon did.

I also cut back on my strength training and have seen no decline in my throwing performance (when I actually throw).

I think this means that I have perhaps built a substantial base of strength and endurance and am enjoying coasting on that for a while. I'm guessing I'll have to get back to a more purposeful routine at some point, but things are going really well (and I just don't have time to focus on my own training right now).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:48 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

what's old is new.

my knee has finally calmed down, and i am back to rowing and bodyweight stuff. not a lot, and all the numbers are umimpressive, but the nice thing about a reset is that you can improve.

also spending time working in the woods. lots of shit blew down, even though it hasn't been that stormy.

thinking of taking up snowshoeing, although it has been seriously hot so far this sept.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:04 pm 
Sgt. Major

Ultrawalking/race walking - although not 100% strict with the straight leg in front. Still throwing in some running, just enough, doesn't seem to
have been affected much by the walking. I've met too many people recently who were/are walking 50-100 miles faster than I was running them and
they were doing them more often as well. I'm enjoying the new challenge of patience, form, and different muscles involved. It's also a bit easier overall on the
body so I find myself with a little more energy to workout outside of ultra stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:21 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Going to be doing lunchtime workouts. My wife travels for work, and we have a toddler, so before/after work is family time. Likely will be ladders in something like 20 minute chunks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:54 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Running.

Started running again in January. Done an 8k race and two half marathons so far since. Recently started adding a bit of trails too.

For a good chunk of this year been doing around 100 push-ups a day.

No rowing, no kettlebells.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:12 pm 
Sgt. Major

as above, maffetone style. Plus rejuvenated an off and on yoga practice. Done almost daily is the ticket. Gone lighter and less often with weights and feeling good. Plus near vegetarian diet.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:41 pm 
Sgt. Major

Quote:
as above, maffetone style. Plus rejuvenated an off and on yoga practice. Done almost daily is the ticket. Gone lighter and less often with weights and feeling good. Plus near vegetarian diet.
Last night was my first yoga class where I didn't think once "get me the fuck outta here." I think it took about 9 classes to get through that mental misery of it being difficult. And kudos on vegetarianism, I should give it an earnest shot too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:19 pm 
Sgt. Major

Been riding a lot lately. Trying to get 3 fun rides in every week in addition to my commuting. On October 2nd my current commute streak will hit 16 straight months of not taking a car to work. So much fun to be out and about the city.

Rowing and yoga for cross training. My wife is finishing up her 200 hour yoga training so I'm her guinea pig for sequences.

I'd been a vegetarian for quite a while and have transitioned into not eating any animal products at all. Plenty of energy, a little leaner what with the extra riding and all, haven't noticed any downsides. And I can now set my smug meter to Deep Fat Fry from the mere Shake n' Bake of a simple vegetarian bike commuter.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:22 am 
Sergeant Commanding

GERIATRIC WARD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:03 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
GERIATRIC WARD
pretty much

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:30 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
Been riding a lot lately. Trying to get 3 fun rides in every week in addition to my commuting. On October 2nd my current commute streak will hit 16 straight months of not taking a car to work. So much fun to be out and about the city.
What city? How far?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:30 pm 
Sgt. Major

Quote:
Quote:
What city? How far?
I live in Atlanta. Over the last 5 years or so we're finally starting to get a decent bike infrastructure going. We're in the process of getting a nearly 30 mile loop of rail trails that will act as a bike highway to get to nearly all the neighborhoods.
Maybe 8 miles of it is complete. And all repaving of city streets is being done as close to a Complete Streets model as possible.

My favorite ride is to get up pre-dawn on the weekend and string together 3 hours or so of pedaling through the neighborhoods and into downtown. Maybe 30-35 miles. It's weird to be riding with zero traffic in the heart of the city.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:36 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What city? How far?
I live in Atlanta. Over the last 5 years or so we're finally starting to get a decent bike infrastructure going. We're in the process of getting a nearly 30 mile loop of rail trails that will act as a bike highway to get to nearly all the neighborhoods.
Maybe 8 miles of it is complete. And all repaving of city streets is being done as close to a Complete Streets model as possible.

My favorite ride is to get up pre-dawn on the weekend and string together 3 hours or so of pedaling through the neighborhoods and into downtown. Maybe 30-35 miles. It's weird to be riding with zero traffic in the heart of the city.
That sounds cool!

https://vimeo.com/72300807

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:52 pm 

Since our twins were born in June(we also have a toddler) I haven’t had time to do much of anything. I’m hoping to get back on the wagon in a few weeks when we have more of a consistent schedule going.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:48 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I had a session with the coach accredited with Starting Strength and I am back to heavier lifting. The coach said I am too small, so I took it as an excuse to eat like a pig.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:31 am 

Well I built my new practice right across the road from the beach. I built it with my own hands, by myself and kind of ended up with RSI symptoms in both elbows/wrists as I was doing it non-stop around my other work. The building plus sore elbows kept me out of the game for a few months, but i'm ba-ack...

I decided to lock in to a training template written by someone else for once. It's kind of nice...

Like when you're always the one doing the driving and navigating, while everyone else looks out the window and enjoys the view. Then you get a chance to sit in the passenger seat for once.

Chose Wendler's 531, the BBB variation 2.

BUT.

Being a bit of a backseat driver, i've tweaked up the exercise order etc to suit training days. It looks like this...

Session 1 - Tues
Super set Dead Lift, with Bench Press.
(Then barbell rollouts for abs and weakpoint exercise*).

Session 2 - Thurs
Super set Power Clean, with Shoulder Press. These are two separate exercises, not a ‘clean and press’.

Session 3 - Sat
Super set Back Squat, with Weighted Chin-up.

531 sets then the volume sets to suit each week.
6 weeks straight then a deload week.

I have been loving this. Solid, if slow, strength gains but considerable body comp changes.
Having dialed in my percentages during the first 3 weeks, it's now an easy plug 'n play each 3 weeks. The training takes care of itself.

*My addition of a weakpoint exercise is actually quite fun. Choose a single exercise and do it for each of the 9 (or 18) sessions straight. Nothing epic, just an 'icing on the cake' exercise, done in a simple 3 sets of 8-12 at the end of EVERY session. Start light and progress conservatively. Don't let it fuck up your main 531 sessions. After 9 (or 18) straight sessions you'll notice the gain/changes. I did this with simple barbell shrugs. Now doing it with heavy (well, half bodyweight) kettlebell swings at 3 x 20. Might try bodyweight dips for the next 9 sessions? You can super set the weakpoint exercise with the abdominal exercise.

Recovery days consist of:
Mon - Easy 1 mile ocean swim in morning, then an evening meditation.
Wed - Total rest. Just an easy walk to the practice, 2km round trip.
Fri - 20km morning cycle at a cruisey 30km/h, then BJJ Gi drills/roll with a mate in afternoon.
Sun - 5km social run around the headland in morning with my Brazilian lovelies.

Future will include upping BJJ to two sessions a week, plus now my Kali training mate has just returned from overseas, so have to find somewhere to fit that in. It might mean eventually downsizing the 531 into 2 days a week, which is doable.
Oh, and getting my new practice cranking at the level it deserves to be running.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:02 pm 
Sarge

I'm going to move to more bb style stuff for a while - lighten up a bit, move reps up to 15+ per set, add a few sets. I'll try and get in a heavier press, squat, or dl session once in a while so that I don't lose too much of my already meagre strength.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:03 pm 
Corporal

Two months ago I separated from my wife of 31 years (second time in the last five years.) We were together for a year. It was OK between us but there were other problems, and it was for the best I left. I moved from a rural community outside of Jerusalem to a suburb of Tel Aviv about 15 minutes from the beach where I could finally commit myself to learn to surf. It's a rough sport, especially learning at my age (68.) I do a lot less weight training. I was never strong although I did 15 chinups a few months ago and loaded carries (a little less than a half bodyweight dumbbell per hand plus weights I stuffed in my jacket pocket) that was close to my body weight. I walked probably 70 yards. That's nothing compared to walking out in the surf for fifteen yards at times.

A few weeks ago I came for a surf lesson. My teacher said, "It's too rough. I just pulled a guy out of the sea. He had no pulse. We gave him CPR for 25 minutes until the ambulance came." The guy died two days later in the hospital. He had a freak accident and lost consciousness. Either the board hit him in the head (that has happened to me) or he smashed his head on the sea bottom, according to different accounts. I went out in the whitewater right after my teacher cancelled my lesson. It was so hard to walk out. There was a vicious current pulling me south and another pulling me back out. I caught waves. One of the teachers signaled me to come in. He said, "Move down the beach by the lifeguard." I didn't want to but went. It was a lot easier to walk with just about a body weight loaded carry for seventy yards than walk out the fifteen yards from the shore.

Most people originally learn to surf the white water near the shore. Learning to surf beyond the break, further out where the good surfers are, is like a completely different sport. It's a lot faster. At times it's frightening. My teacher said it is for everybody learning it, or at least almost everybody.

In the past I hit my head on the sea bottom twice, once in about two feet of water, taking off on a wave way too close to shore. I'll never do that again. You learn the hard way in this sport a lot of times. I had ten days of shoulder/neck spasms each time that took me a lot of work with visualization and my doing the Feldenkrais method on myself (I'm a teacher) to get rid of. Other people couldn't help me. If I had been ten years old I would have laughed it off and been fine.

I still skateboard. I cross country ski when I'm out of Israel. I learned to downhill ski. I started learning snowboarding. Surfing is about 20 times as hard to learn, at least for me. A few years ago, somebody almost mowed me down with his board. There were two of us in the water and I was still surfing the white water. He was probably 25 yards from me when I saw him coming. I couldn't believe he wouldn't veer out of the way. I have done that with people who are swimming (they're not supposed to be where the surfers are.) My son taught me how to do heel and toe turns on a skateboard, and I was able to do it on a surfboard never having practiced or, I would have run a couple over with my board. I kept watching this surfer come right at me and I finally ducked under. He grazed my fingertips. He asked, "Are you OK?" I couldn't believe it. He wasn't a teenager. He was about fifty. I had seen him on the beach. I asked my teacher about it. He said, "Some people are jerks."

There are times I paddle out and I can't see above the waves to where guys are taking off about 20 feet from me. I asked my teacher. He said nonchalantly, "You try to duck out of the way if you see somebody coming at you." He told me he surfed 30 foot Nazare in Portugal. Imagine what happens if a wave the size of a three story building would fall on you and then you get what's called rag dolled. You hope you don't dislocate a limb or drown. I can't imagine what that's like.

Strength training doesn't help much in this sport at least at my level in the waves I surf - three foot to overhead. From the shore it looks like the waves are nothing until I get out. They aren’t nothing. Not even in the Meditaranean. They can be very powerful. Learning to relax is a lot more important at this stage than deadlifting or squatting. I still do them, but I know it’s not helping me surf. If I can relax into incoming waves it's a lot easier to get out than struggling. Surfers have a leash attached from the board to their foot. If I don't hold onto the leash I feel like my leg is about to be yanked out of the socket at times.

No one can believe how difficult it can be just to get out beyond the break sometimes until they do this. A former pro surfer, Kalani Robb said, "It would be like skateboarding and people are beating you up on the way to the top of the hill." He's talking about 8-15 foot Pipeline and other surf breaks where people die. My teachers have said getting out beyond the break is about positioning and timing. I'm learn to do that, and it's not that hard when they tell me to go. I'm still learning it on my own. It's not easy for me to learn. I did a lot of land based cardio before I moved. It didn't help much for surfing. I get tired pretty quickly. It's not helping that I don't sleep or eat much.

I have been catching waves. It's an amazing experience. At times I feel like I'm being rocketed down a fast moving wall of water that will smash my head again on the bottom. I am learning when to get up. I miss a lot. Either I don't paddle hard enough or I'm not positioned right on the board and fall, sometimes violently. Two days before I moved here, on my last wave, I almost got to my feet but fell off the board. I got whipped around by a wave which somersaulted me under water and I landed really hard on my upper back. I cut the lesson short by about ten minutes. I told my teacher. "I have to move in two days. I don't know if I'll be able to walk tomorrow." I couldn't believe I was fine the next day.

My board broke in half a few weeks ago (it was the surf club's.) I have my own but I was told to use theirs. I'm back to using mine. My teacher said, “I probably broke fifty boards.” It’s a really weird sport. Every wave is different. You have to be really aware of where you are in the water. The current can carry you back in or down the beach to where you don't want to be. You have to watch out for other surfers.

You can't do this every day even in Hawaii. There are days or weeks when it's flat. Everybody who learns to surf goes through some version of this. A guy from the local surf shop who is about 30 told me his ribs ache sometimes. He's been doing this since childhood. There aren't a whole lot of people my age learning this. I can understand why. I don't think a lot of people my age could even put on and take off a wet suit for surfers.

I was never a very good athlete. My father played on a major college varsity basketball team as a freshman before he enlisted in the army in World War II. I was at best a mediocre tennis player in an era when none of the good athletes would play the sport. Somehow I am learning to do this. I wouldn't put up with what I have to go through if this was not one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. Even two crappy waves can completely change my mood from being completely bummed out to feeling really good. It's a cliche, but there's nothing like surfing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:06 pm 
Sgt. Major

Awesome, Lenny! :supz:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:44 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Cool story.

I'd love to learn to surf, but with my fubar shoulder I literally can't paddle. I built my surf kayak, which has a surfboard shaped bottom and a tri-fin setup. Getting out past the break in that can be serious trial. I look for rip currents to ride out. My kayak roll is not high percentage when I get rolled by a good sized wave, which means I have to swim it back in, dump it out, and head back out. Big motivator to get the bombproof roll. Once past the break I can maneuver fast and catch waves surfers can't (but I stay well clear of surfers).

Actually, the most fun is catching small waves. You can catch about anything.

But anyway, I got the paddle board while at the beach for the two week vacation, and paddled it around in the ocean on the offshore wind days with low swells. Could paddle it out through the small breaks and deal with the swells, and had caught a few waves too. Tons of fun. Looking forward to getting back down there. I paddle it in running creeks here, which develops some balance skills.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:53 pm 
Lifetime IGer

terra: nice template there, glad you are getting what you need out of it.