Positive Plateaus

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Positive Plateaus

Post by Bram » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:21 pm

This subject came up in conversation a few times this week, and I'm curious where you all stand on it.

It seems many people believe in relentless self improvement:

"You can always be a better person"

"You can always be in better shape"

I'll just use these two examples, but I'm happy to hear any example.

In my opinion, you can be a good enough person and be in good enough shape.

If you're happy, helping others and feeling more or less fulfilled - keeping it up sounds good to me.

If you like the way you look and feel, plus play your sport at a satisfactory level - keeping it up sounds good to me as well.

Thoughts?
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Positive Plateaus

Post by Bram » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:23 pm

This is not to say I'm there currently, in the past I have felt satisfied in the gym (about 19-21 years old), I would show up, do my work, eat my meals and cruised on auto-pilot.
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

terra

Post by terra » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:15 pm

"A man's got to know his limitations"
- Harry Callahan.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:59 am

I'm not talking about limitations, just satisfaction.

There's always a bigger weight to lift, a harder challenge to climb, etc.

Maybe not trying to PR leads to boredom or some sort of negative outcome: settling, growing disillusioned, whatever.

Who knows, most of the shit I post on here I change my opinion on after a few years.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:29 am

I would say we reach places in some things that allow us to focus on others for a while and not worry about losing it. For example, I am strong enough to do the things I want to do right now (coach throwing and lifting with some demos, but not competing) so I haven't been in the weight room. I've been running with the cross country team I coach and have gotten back to working with horses (which is what I did all through my teens and early twenties). I am a little chubby right now so I'm trying to focus on diet while having fun, but I feel pretty good about my general fitness. I'd call it a "plateau" but its more like I put strength on a shelf while I figure out where I am heading going forward. That might be training horses instead of people and running trails instead of throwing and lifting stuff. I have to strength train to keep my hips (and the rest of my body) healthy, but not at the level I've been training the last several years. So, when I get back to it, it may not be even close to what I had been doing and that's okay.

But for now, I am strong enough.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:57 pm

Glad you have found some balance, doing things you enjoy and still staying healthy.

Diet can be a motherfucker, I'm eating 5 (mostly healthy and balanced) meals a day, drinking liquor twice a week or less. It's keeping me lean and energetic without the nightmare of counting calories or banning foods or whatever obsessive nonsense my brain wants to latch on to.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:10 am

I think it comes down to the reasons you find joy in what you're doing. If you find joy in competition and goal based measurements, plateaus are a bitch and much planning goes into avoiding them.
If you find joy in the activity itself, then a happy medium is right where the sweet spot is. Like riding and rowing for me. I do it because I find joy in putting in miles on the roads and meditating on the erg. There's a near perfect point where I'm riding and rowing enough to have the fitness to do as much as I'd like with as much intensity as I find enjoyable, but I'm not pushing so hard that I need a plan to keep from crashing and burning. That's what I'd consider a positive plateau.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:07 am

Haha, I guess I'm not used to doing exercise where I find joy in the activity as you said. But that is where I am right now. I'm happy enough with where I'm at. And not beating myself up mentally or physically over improving more.