Getting Old - Again!

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

dkay
Sarge

Getting Old - Again!

Post by dkay » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:51 am

This is not meant to be a self-congratulatory post - more of an observation about the decline. For the past couple of months I have worked on reps - I took a DL max triple from 10 years ago (405) and worked up to 40 reps in 10 mins (5 sets of 8 with about 2 mins rest between - 52 now, 41 then). These workouts have been really max effort sessions - we're talking "I'm going to die" exertion. Obviously, I'm not objectively strong, I am not a big guy (6'1" 210 lb dad bod now! Haha) but I note very subtle changes in how I look - I have shifted all my stuff to lower weight higher rep stuff for the past few months. The point is that I am still making rep gains as I age and that amazes me and still inspires those internal challenges.

Does anybody else find that their metabolic conditioning can still be improved with age even as the top end strength ebbs?

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Getting Old - Again!

Post by syaigh » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:25 am

you guys have no idea how much potential you have. I am training a horse at a farm run by an 80 year old man with 35 horses and no help. Seriously. I clean stalls when he's otherwise occupied, but he does all the rest.

I have a 63 year old powerlifter, gorgeous 140 lb woman, just diagnosed with lymphoma, back to lifting now and she may place in the top three at USAPL nationals next fall. (in her age group of course, but thats a 225 squat, 250 deadlift, and 125 lb bench)

You old people have way more potential than you think. Strength truly is the fountain of youth. But you also need your cardio.

Great thread. Actual real training question that isn't like, "how can I make my asshole more attractive for bomb or candy hiders". (Looking at you Shape)
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:38 am

Haha! Thanks, syaigh. Your story about your lifter is fantastic and inspirational. I had a bit of a low ebb today. That was a very thoughtful response.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:56 pm

I take a small measure of pride in the positive influence I have here.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:23 pm

i keep having to pull over into the breakdown lane.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:53 pm

dead man walking wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:23 pm
Fucking joints.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:01 pm

was it god or evolution that fucked up?

it couldn't be me.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:16 pm

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:53 pm
dead man walking wrote:
Fucking joints.
They've for sure always been my downfall. Mainly knee and hip on my right side.

I've found that as I swing past the 40 year mark I can handle volume as well as ever, but intensity is taking longer to recover from and peak power isn't as high when I do have a test session. It's like my engine is turning into a big diesel instead of the F1 engine I used to have.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:29 pm

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:16 pm
DrDonkeyLove wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:53 pm
dead man walking wrote:
Fucking joints.
They've for sure always been my downfall. Mainly knee and hip on my right side.

I've found that as I swing past the 40 year mark I can handle volume as well as ever, but intensity is taking longer to recover from and peak power isn't as high when I do have a test session. It's like my engine is turning into a big diesel instead of the F1 engine I used to have.
your experience is typical, i believe.

what makes you different from the rest of us is that your engine is a "big" diesel.

big?

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Who wants a small diesel? Can't tow shit without at least 6 liters under the hood.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:20 pm

Very impressive! And you are right, syaigh.
syaigh wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:25 am
you guys have no idea how much potential you have. I am training a horse at a farm run by an 80 year old man with 35 horses and no help. Seriously. I clean stalls when he's otherwise occupied, but he does all the rest.

I have a 63 year old powerlifter, gorgeous 140 lb woman, just diagnosed with lymphoma, back to lifting now and she may place in the top three at USAPL nationals next fall. (in her age group of course, but thats a 225 squat, 250 deadlift, and 125 lb bench)

You old people have way more potential than you think. Strength truly is the fountain of youth. But you also need your cardio.

Great thread. Actual real training question that isn't like, "how can I make my asshole more attractive for bomb or candy hiders". (Looking at you Shape)