IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:01 am

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:59 pm 
Sgt. Major

anyone read much of the latest angle from the strongfirst/Pavel camp? Don't need to comment on the marketing or hyperbole that accompanies it as we all know about that, but the approach does seem to have some merit. In layman's terms it's like an easy strength approach to strength endurance work. You do a bit, rest a lot, then do a bit more.

Any experiences?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:04 pm 
Staff Sergeant

I've read abut it and thought about dong it. I don't find it particularly interesting StrongFirst is a decent kettlebell forum. My only complaint is the way Simple and Sinister is pushed on it as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

There's so much more to exercising with kettlebells then Halos, Goblet Squats, Turkish Getups and One Hand Swings. The A/A stuff is based off S + S. To me S =S is a finisher at the end of a workout for core and conditioning.

Do 10 Swings explosively, rest to the top of the minute, repeat for 36 minutes. I'll pass. I'd rather do double complexes for 20 minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:54 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
anyone read much of the latest angle from the strongfirst/Pavel camp? Don't need to comment on the marketing or hyperbole that accompanies it as we all know about that, but the approach does seem to have some merit. In layman's terms it's like an easy strength approach to strength endurance work. You do a bit, rest a lot, then do a bit more.

Any experiences?
Can you post a link? Is it something similar to Maffetone?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:40 am 
Lifetime IGer

If there's one surprisingly reliable phenomena, it's that "strength" coaches will use terminology they do not understand to justify training methodologies which are ineffective at best.

It's a dead cert that NOT ONE MOTHERFUCKER at Strongfist knows what the fuck they are talking about WRT to energy systems training. More importantly, those who are experts in improving the performance of specific athletic qualities related to so called energy systems nearly never use the term and find it of dubious usefulness.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:27 am 
Staff Sergeant

Quote:
If there's one surprisingly reliable phenomena, it's that "strength" coaches will use terminology they do not understand to justify training methodologies which are ineffective at best.
I remember having to memorize all of this in A&P:

Your cellular ATP stores are used up in approx. 2 seconds, direct phosphorylation uses up Creatine Kinase/Phoshpokinase in about 15 seconds, Glycolysis takes over for about 2 minutes with Lactic Acid as a waste product, then it's straight aerobic respiration.

I couldn't for the life of me understand the distinction they were trying to make between glycolytic and anaerobic. Bro-science. That is the same stage, when glycolysis is creating ATP sans oxygen (outside your mitochondria). At least according to every Biology class I've ever taken.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:27 am 
Staff Sergeant

Quote:
I remember having to memorize all of this in A&P:

Your cellular ATP stores are used up in approx. 2 seconds, direct phosphorylation uses up Creatine Kinase/Phoshpokinase in about 15 seconds, Glycolysis takes over for about 2 minutes with Lactic Acid as a waste product, then it's straight aerobic respiration.

I couldn't for the life of me understand the distinction they were trying to make between glycolytic and anaerobic. Bro-science. That is the same stage, when glycolysis is creating ATP sans oxygen (outside your mitochondria). At least according to every Biology class I've ever taken.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:30 am 
Lifetime IGer

Here's the litmus test: If it was really that good, then the top athletes in the sports where they required that sort of specific thing would be using it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:14 pm 
Sgt. Major

Shaf's comment wins the day. It's a decent barometer to apply to a range of training modalities. Can apply the same to diet too with a little common sense. Not many credible sources bang on about paleo, keto or whatever else is fucking cool on the internet.

As a vaguely related side note, I'm at the point now where I think most of the information I've gleaned from the past 25 years of internet based research is inferior to the basic advice my first boxing coach gave me in the early 90's: practice your skills in the gym, jog for 'wind' and cut out sweets and dairy if you need to make weight.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:20 am 
Lifetime IGer

Odin...isn't that just how it goes. You spend all the time looking for the answer, and you knew it all along.