Row off the Holiday pudge

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Row off the Holiday pudge

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:59 am

C2's Virtual Team Challenge starts Jan. 1st. We have an IGX team set up called "The Bad Place". Anybody who's already a team member can go to the Teams page on their log book and join the challenge. If you're not on the team and would like to be:
Create a C2 log if you don't have one, join the team, and shoot me a PM verifying who you are. Open to family members and friends as well.

Goal is silly and pointless - erg as many meters as you can in January. Row, ski, and bike erg meters count.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Row off the Holiday pudge

Post by syaigh » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:54 pm

Thanks for the kick in the ass.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:58 am

I've sent a request to join the team......is there anybody at the switch???
Tantum validus superstes

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:23 pm

Cave Canem wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:58 am
I've sent a request to join the team......is there anybody at the switch???
Cut me some slack....I work for a living.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:35 pm

Thanks.
Tantum validus superstes

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:48 am

Whatever happens with this board, I hope we can keep the rowing team going forward.
Tantum validus superstes

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:23 pm

Cave Canem wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:48 am
Whatever happens with this board, I hope we can keep the rowing team going forward.
For sure. I have everyone's email that's on the team. I'll send out a group message so everyone will have mine and can get in touch if needed.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:23 pm

I've got arthroscopic knee surgery on 2/1. For some odd reason beyond my understanding, rowing was the only thing I could do pain free since September. Until this past Sunday. I made my 10,000 cal but I had hoped to make 200,000m and that may not happen now. I'm going to see what I can get out of the SkiErg and maybe limp it in.
I'm going to miss the Military Challenge in February but might be able to do the "Tour de SkiErg". Simply for a lack of anything else to do during rehab. I dread the thought of a 10K on the SkiErg.
I'll be ready for the next team challenge which starts 9/15.
Thanks to everyone, it was fun playing with some motivated folks.
Tantum validus superstes

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:59 pm

Was able to bring it home at just over 200K
Tantum validus superstes

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:33 am

Cave Canem wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:59 pm
Was able to bring it home at just over 200K
Nice!
I'm thinking of picking up a ski erg to compliment the rowing. Would be nice to have a change of pace, and to have something weight bearing that doesn't screw with my knee now that I can't run anymore.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:25 am

I hate that SkiErg.
Tantum validus superstes

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:13 am

Good hate or bad hate?

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:53 am

I don't know. Kind of both. I find it boring. But the one I use is in a bad location in my gym and I haven't used it much. I used to have a Nordic Track and I liked that. The SkiErg just feels awkward. I'm going to try the challenge this month and see if my opinion changes after some longer workouts. Definitely not looking forward to the final week 10k.
Tantum validus superstes

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:00 pm

Just curiouso but has anyone ridden the stationary bike the C2 folks have put out? If so, what's your take on it?

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:23 pm

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:13 am
Good hate or bad hate?
Just did 5K on the SkiErg. I guess like anything, there's a learning curve. And a serious need to build up specific endurance. It took me 31 minutes and change. I probably spent 20% of the time "double poling" with the remainder single or "traditional" poling. It just ain't in me to double pole for this distance yet.
Tantum validus superstes

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:45 pm

Cave Canem wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:23 pm
Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:13 am
Good hate or bad hate?
Just did 5K on the SkiErg. I guess like anything, there's a learning curve. And a serious need to build up specific endurance. It took me 31 minutes and change. I probably spent 20% of the time "double poling" with the remainder single or "traditional" poling. It just ain't in me to double pole for this distance yet.
Nice. I only ever used the skierg one time for a 1k a couple years ago at a C2 specific studio I used to row at. It was for the skierg sprints and the owner wanted everyone to take a crack at it so he could try and win a new erg. All out effort was a 4:18 1k.

I figure I'll pick one up soon. I've got a bike I'm going to sell to fund a new single speed MTB and should have enough left over to get a skierg. If nothing else, I'll use it a couple of times a week as cross training for my rowing.

On the down side, got a bit of whatever illness that's been making the rounds at work. Not looking like a stellar performance for me in the 2k on Saturday. Most likely a fly and die suffer fest if I can make it.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:23 am

Just finished two Concept2 challenges for February; The Military Challenge, rowed 110,000m and the SkiErg challenge. Had to do a weekly event, 5K, 2K, 500m and 10K. The 10K sucked.

Two new challenges start in March. Mud Season Madness, row 5 or 10K for 25 days in March and the World Erg Challenge. The World Erg is similar to the January team challenge. So the question is, are we going to field a team? It runs from 3/15 until 4/15.
Tantum validus superstes

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:39 am

Team is definitely in for the World Erg Challenge. If you're on the team just confirm on your page that you're in and it should log your meters to the challenge.

I could only do the Valentine challenge last month. Not military and I don't have a Skierg. I bet the 10k was a mental challenge.