IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:01 am

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Is it stupid?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:31 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Good for you Smet. I just made 20 years of BJJ last October and while you do need to modify your approach to accommodate the aging process, there's no reason not to do it if you enjoy it. The real secret to success in jiu-jitsu is to cultivate a good relationship with your training partners; they will actively look out for you that way. Avoid hardheads until you have a better grasp of your own level, and just be willing to tap any time your body is in a compromised position. It's only training.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:59 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Thanks for the comment, Fat Cat. I am pretty lucky in the sense that the teachers at my school are really watching out hard for proper behavior, and dickheads get punished. The atmosphere at the school is really great. People are willing to help, take the game couple of notches down when grappling with novices and don't do stupid things. There are couple of guys who don't get the concept of take it easy, so grappling with them is pretty much the drill to survive and learn to relax when they are busy tearing my head off.

In terms of training, I must confess that I didn't expect it to have such an effect on my body. During the first month pretty much everything in my body hurt most of the time. Now, after three months, it is getting better. On the positive side, quite a few people commented on my physical appearance. More agile, athletic, faster etc.

Good to have you back.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:20 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I still keep wondering as per title of this thread. Damn it learning new activities. Some sessions I feel I make progress - manage to escape some precarious position, outsmart someone, even sweep some larger guy from on top of me. Then there are sessions like yesterday, when I keep shaking my head and wondering, what the fuck did I get myself into...

Was rolling with this guy yesterday. White belt, slightly more advanced than me. The problem - he wants to win every time, as opposed to learn. Obviously, going at everything with full force. His foot slips and hits me on the mouth. Nothing major, a little bit of blood. A minute later - he kicks me with his foot in the same fucking spot. Now it's painful and I have to stop and go wash the blood off. One unpleasant side effect of martial arts I guess. So this morning I made an appointment for a mouth guard...

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:35 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Mouthguard, yes. But lose your shitty Tae Kwon Do kicking partner, he's out of control & a danger to you. MUCH better to roll with Blue Belts or above. They may crush you, but shouldn't hurt you.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:00 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Mouthguard, yes. But lose your shitty Tae Kwon Do kicking partner, he's out of control & a danger to you. MUCH better to roll with Blue Belts or above. They may crush you, but shouldn't hurt you.
This all the way. We have a fair amount of wrestling/combatives guys from the army base that show up and it always is a process to get them to understand that there is a time and place for smash and grab. Myself and a few other “unassuming” looking folks are the go to for the professor to teach a lesson when the goons don’t get the hint. After that they are normally much more apt to listen.

As a hobbyist, treat yourself right. This shit is awesome but it isn’t your lifeblood.

http://www.myphysicalculture.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:38 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

I used to aspire to be a "lesson teacher" at the gym. And I have been at times, to some young & strong guys' surprise.

But now I just want to enjoy rolling without lumps, scrapes, and pains the next five days.
If I were to decide all over again, I wouldn't even do the tournament I've entered.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:14 am 

I always wear a mouth guard, surprised that many don't. It's just a cheap 'put in boiling water and bite' type of mouthguard. It works fine. Not just for the knocks, but also helpful when someone goes for a shitty choke and pushes your jaw to one side. You can quickly bite down to stabilise your TMJ.

Yes choose your partners well. Especially when, like me, you're not the biggest rig in the gym. Last Friday almost every roll was simply 'survive and don't get injured'. You don't learn much, in fact it's almost a negative progression. I find myself getting into the bad habit of throwing out technique and simply holding grips too hard and too long in an effort to slow things down and make it safer.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:06 am 
Sergeant Commanding

On Monday I went to the mouthguard place, it should arrive in couple of weeks. Not sure why I haven't thought of it earlier, as accidents happen even with very advanced guys. The next day I was rolling with the black belt and got whacked on the face, though not as badly as the other time, and the guy was very apologetic.

In any case, I am getting tiny glimpses of what BJJ is supposed to be. Yesterday I managed to flip off a heavier blue belt from the side control position on top of me, though didn't manage to control him. Another roll - white belt, much younger and stronger than me, usually managed to muscle up his way with me. I ended up in his closed guard, couldn't open it - the guy just clenched his legs for several minutes - but he couldn't do anything with me either. I read all his intentions of sweeps, chokes and kimura and didn't let him get anything. To my delight at the end of five minutes I was not as winded as I used to be.

My next "project" is to learn to open closed guard.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:43 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
I always wear a mouth guard, surprised that many don't.
Once you get to a certain level where I was MA-ing, you just wore a mouth guard during everything (bag rounds, katas, sparring, cardio) to learn to breath with a mouth guard. Fight like you train. School was run by a pro kickboxer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:05 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
Quote:
I always wear a mouth guard, surprised that many don't.
Once you get to a certain level where I was MA-ing, you just wore a mouth guard during everything (bag rounds, katas, sparring, cardio) to learn to breath with a mouth guard. Fight like you train. School was run by a pro kickboxer.
I suspect Ms Shape like most ladies prefers torque to HP.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:16 pm 

Not sure if helpful, but possibly?

5 mistakes white belts/beginners make

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:55 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I am officially off the first base: on Saturday I got my first stripe! Woo-hoo!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:42 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

^The video above is fine.

Re mouthguards - no need to have a gel-filled, expensive boxer's mouthguard. You shouldn't be taking big shots to your face every session. If you are, there are probably other problems going on, like bad partners.

There are some good, drop-in-hot-water-to mold-to-your-teeth mouthguards that will keep you from chipping your teeth or poking teeth through your gums. The advantage of the thin mouthguard is that it's easier to breathe & talk while wearing them.

IME & JMO

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:37 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
I am officially off the first base: on Saturday I got my first stripe! Woo-hoo!
=D> =D> =D> Good for you Smet!

We've got mats arriving from Japan on Monday. Maybe one day I will get a stripe too.