2018 Goals

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

User avatar
syaigh
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5694
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:29 am
Location: Surrounded by short irrational people

2018 Goals

Post by syaigh » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:52 pm

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Be less fat, do fewer stupid things, and drink less for one. I want to be more active and look like I actually do stuff instead of borderline chubby non-badass mom.

One of my lifters wants to do a figure/bikini competition in the Fall so I'm riding the diet train with her.
I need to get back to running regularly as I may be the head coach of the cross country team next Fall.
And I need to get back on that stallion and get him out on the trails. (He'll probably like me better if I'm not fat as well.)

So, move more, eat and drink less, and stop acting like I'm old.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

User avatar
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 10902
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:08 pm

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Thinking about this a bit this week. Second kid on the way, so between him and the 2 y.o. I am betting the second half of the year is going to be very focused on things other than me.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

User avatar
odin
Sgt. Major
Posts: 2940
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:20 am

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by odin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:02 pm

stay active and un-injured is the basics. The how is hopefully through continued maffetone esque endurance and lots of yoga, with weights periodically included.

Performance and event wise, I am eye-balling 3-4 races of different disciplines and want a decent trip into the mountains too. Also doing a few more yoga-y things. No strength based goals beyond periodically building back to a 150kg DL for a few reps. This is very easy but more than enough strength for my needs.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

User avatar
baffled
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8627
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by baffled » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:00 pm

Off leash train my dog and enter him into a search club. If for nothing else, for his psyche but he's also been spotted as a SAR prospect by a group doing some sort of trial in our area even though he's not been raised as a working dog.

Keep my hip from exploding. Also, hit the trails with my #1 dog 5 days a week. We'll see how that goes.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin
Image

User avatar
Bram
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5623
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:38 am

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by Bram » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:00 am

1. Keep doing the stuff I know is good.
2. Keep trying to avoid the stuff I know is bad for me.
3. Inspire the people I care about by my actions.
"If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Ericc
Sgt. Major
Posts: 4470
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:51 am

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by Ericc » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:29 am

Going to stick with the ultrawalking at least through the year and see what I can do for the long stuff - 100 miles, 24 hours and maybe a multi day event if I can get the time away from home. My main trining for the long stuff will actually be races, so I'll stick with the frequent ultras. Other than that it's kettlbell and bodyweight stuff. And of course it's all subject to change.

User avatar
powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7944
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:46 pm
Location: TX

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by powerlifter54 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:48 am

Smaller, stronger, faster.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 11589
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by nafod » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 pm

- Build the damn sailboat
- More exploratory MTBiking (go some new places)
- Do something seriously outdoors and active 3-4 times/week (ski, paddle, pedal, hike when I can)
Don’t believe everything you think.

User avatar
dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice
Posts: 1220
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:58 am
Location: Directly above the center of the earth

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by dingleberry » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:19 pm

Get less fat
Start training BJJ again
Don't aquire anymore chronic injuries
Care about work less
nafod wrote:I do find I am spending more and more time in the bathroom in the morning, just staring at myself and wondering if I am pretty.

User avatar
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 10902
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:08 pm

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 pm

edit: asked and answered previously
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19089
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:25 am

nafod wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 pm

- More exploratory MTBiking (go some new places)
You ever consider some long routes?

I'm low key obsessed with knocking off one of these this fall.

http://www.bikepacking.com/event/2017-t ... alifornia/

http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/idaho ... -fire-400/

http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/oregon-outback/
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major
Posts: 4258
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:27 pm
Location: 4th largest city in America

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by The Ginger Beard Man » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:32 am

Same size quads.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

User avatar
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6706
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:16 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by Sangoma » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:18 am

I plan a camping trip with Shape.
Image

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 11589
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by nafod » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:25 am
nafod wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 pm

- More exploratory MTBiking (go some new places)
You ever consider some long routes?

I'm low key obsessed with knocking off one of these this fall.
Those are pretty awesome. The Oregon one in particular.

I've contemplated doing a big ride, like circling Lake Superior, but not a singletrack one. My road bike is actually a cross bike. Ready for the gravel.
Don’t believe everything you think.

User avatar
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major
Posts: 4724
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:13 am
Location: The Usual Gang of Idiots

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:34 pm

baffled wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:00 pm
Off leash train my dog and enter him into a search club. If for nothing else, for his psyche but he's also been spotted as a SAR prospect by a group doing some sort of trial in our area even though he's not been raised as a working dog.

Keep my hip from exploding. Also, hit the trails with my #1 dog 5 days a week. We'll see how that goes.
That's pretty awesome that you and the dog could do SAR work. I think it would be great to be able to help find missing people. Not sure I could handle the mental stress of working a disaster area though.

What's your dog's breed, if you don't mind my asking? Other than agility, SAR is the only activity that really appeals to me. I don't like the protection and bite work of IPO. It's not something I'm interested in, and it just seems like a huge liability if anything ever happened and it was found out your dog had bitework training (even though the purpose of bite work is to be able to get the dog to let go on command).
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

User avatar
baffled
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8627
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by baffled » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:34 pm
baffled wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:00 pm
Off leash train my dog and enter him into a search club. If for nothing else, for his psyche but he's also been spotted as a SAR prospect by a group doing some sort of trial in our area even though he's not been raised as a working dog.

Keep my hip from exploding. Also, hit the trails with my #1 dog 5 days a week. We'll see how that goes.
That's pretty awesome that you and the dog could do SAR work. I think it would be great to be able to help find missing people. Not sure I could handle the mental stress of working a disaster area though.

What's your dog's breed, if you don't mind my asking? Other than agility, SAR is the only activity that really appeals to me. I don't like the protection and bite work of IPO. It's not something I'm interested in, and it just seems like a huge liability if anything ever happened and it was found out your dog had bitework training (even though the purpose of bite work is to be able to get the dog to let go on command).
Yeah, we'll see how it goes. SAR is a wild world with a lot of people who just don't know what they're doing.

My dog is a Carolina Dog. They're classed as a pariah breed by the UKC (I think), but when raised right, MOST do well with people. Mine is very social, but a little shy at first meeting. Super athletic, smart, and his confidence in navigating obstacles is insane.

Side story: when he was 6 months, my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer. We're in the backyard at my parents' house, and they're telling me what's up. All of a sudden, from a sit, my dog jumps up onto the picnic table like it was nothing and just starts looking for scratches and saying hi.

I've since stopped that jumping, but the athleticism is second only to a few Malinois I've been around.

If we don't do SAR, we'll do agility.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin
Image

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19089
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:09 pm

nafod wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:25 am
nafod wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 pm

- More exploratory MTBiking (go some new places)
You ever consider some long routes?

I'm low key obsessed with knocking off one of these this fall.

Those are pretty awesome. The Oregon one in particular.

I've contemplated doing a big ride, like circling Lake Superior, but not a singletrack one. My road bike is actually a cross bike. Ready for the gravel.
Oregon Outback is my first choice as it's mostly gravel and dirt, nothing super technical and yet ultra amazingly beautiful country. I think a cross bike with 2.0 tires would totally work for that route. That bikepacking site and Ride GPS have a shitload of great routes if you want to dig around. I found one nice part singletrack/road/gravel route near me in the Olympics that I'm gonna knock off this winter hopefully...It's only 85miles but through some gorgeous country.

https://ridewithgps.com/
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

User avatar
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major
Posts: 4724
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:13 am
Location: The Usual Gang of Idiots

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:34 pm

My goals are simple this year.
Keep minimizing the amount of stuff I have, and drill down to only having the things that really matter to me. This is to both declutter the physical and mental space. Not looking to be one of those dudes that only has 100 possessions, but just looking to not have distractions pulling me in 10 different directions. Ultimate goal is to get rid of enough that I can not have to work 50+ hours a week to maintain it all.

Once I've freed up enough time, get a new dog. The time is critical so I can devote do him justice in his training and socializing.

Read more books in order to gain knowledge on subjects that interest me. I've fallen into the habit of only reading light books for entertainment. Lately I've been devoting my reading time to the scientists I enjoy - Krause, Dawkins, Sam Harris, etc.

Fitness goals are all process. Complete every C2 challenge at the higher of an offered level for an entire calendar year. Keep at least 1-2 C2 sessions/week as intervals and fill in the rest with UT2 level cruising and podcast listening. Maybe pull the 2k at Atlanta Erg Sprints for shits and giggles.
Work BW or weights a couple times a week. Would like to find a good basic plan for strength training for the erg (sets/reps based on building power for late Jan sprints).
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

User avatar
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major
Posts: 4724
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:13 am
Location: The Usual Gang of Idiots

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:38 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:09 pm
nafod wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:25 am
nafod wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 pm

- More exploratory MTBiking (go some new places)
You ever consider some long routes?

I'm low key obsessed with knocking off one of these this fall.

Those are pretty awesome. The Oregon one in particular.

I've contemplated doing a big ride, like circling Lake Superior, but not a singletrack one. My road bike is actually a cross bike. Ready for the gravel.
Oregon Outback is my first choice as it's mostly gravel and dirt, nothing super technical and yet ultra amazingly beautiful country. I think a cross bike with 2.0 tires would totally work for that route. That bikepacking site and Ride GPS have a shitload of great routes if you want to dig around. I found one nice part singletrack/road/gravel route near me in the Olympics that I'm gonna knock off this winter hopefully...It's only 85miles but through some gorgeous country.

https://ridewithgps.com/
For pure bikepacking pron, check out Iohan Gueorguiev's YouTube channel. He's been on constant travel for a couple of years now, from Alaska to Patagonia. His videography and narration are top shelf. Easy to go down the rabbit hole and watch hours of his tip one after the other.
https://www.youtube.com/user/istarusIG
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

JimZipCode
Top
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by JimZipCode » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:40 pm

New for 2018: piano lessons!

Tweaks:
  • Focus on the small picture: lifting and judo 2x per week each, piano lesson once a week. Keep the appointments and let the big picture take care of itself.
  • Be more resilient to "perturbations". A miss here & there is inevitable. But don't let a missed day turn into a missed week, a missed week turn into a missed month.
  • Be proactive in meal planning for the family, using tools like the Instant Pot etc. Pare down the carry-out & restaurant meals.
  • Fix up the "game room" / office.
  • Fix up the garage with the heavy bag and a pull-up bar etc.
  • Upgrade my bike in the springtime.
  • Host some social stuff occasionally for our local friends.
  • Start to realize some savings when stepdaughter graduates college in May/June. Reconfigure budget to use that $$ intelligently.
  • Go to karate camp in August with the boy.
  • Read more books. Actual books with pages.

Standing orders:
  • Be a decent husband, father, and stepfather. Keep my job.
  • Manage health appropriately for age. Get to the doc, get to the dentist, stay compliant with any meds.
  • Eat some decent food occasionally, yogurt & salads etc.
  • Get to the park with the dog more, for a hike with off-leash time.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

User avatar
terra
Top
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by terra » Sun May 27, 2018 8:43 am

It's almost halfway through the year. How is everyone going with their goals?

I didn't post 2018 goals. By the end of 2017 I was low on resources (in many ways) so the goal at the start of 2018 was 'survive'. Although looking at 2017 I had ticked off some of the big goals.

How are your goals going so far?

What has changed?

What is one thing you can do to ensure you'll have more success achieving your goals?
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar
Bram
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5623
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:38 am

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by Bram » Sun May 27, 2018 2:14 pm

terra wrote: It's almost halfway through the year. How is everyone going with their goals?

I didn't post 2018 goals. By the end of 2017 I was low on resources (in many ways) so the goal at the start of 2018 was 'survive'. Although looking at 2017 I had ticked off some of the big goals.

How are your goals going so far?

What has changed?

What is one thing you can do to ensure you'll have more success achieving your goals?
I had two un-named goals from a year or two ago. They were get invited to join the local surf club and something about being a great personal trainer.

I haven't got invited to join the surf club, but my surfing and behavior in the water have both improved - so I'm definitely closer to that.

I began writing down all my clients workouts and implementing periodization instead of winging it and that has also been a positive.

The three for this year were do the things I know I should, avoid the things I know I shouldn't and inspire people with my actions.

I've been pretty good on the first one, though my diet could be better and I could use more sunscreen....I've had too many drinks a few times so far, but otherwise feel more or less okay about the second. Lastly, I had a parent yesterday come up and compliment me on the positive influence I had on their kid at the gym. I don't train their kid and seldom give them any workout advice, just say hello and ask what they are up to. Very cool!

The biggest thing I could do to help myself out is to have an amazing pre-bed routine. My morning one sets the stage for the day, but each night I basically pass out to youtube videos.
"If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work." - Thich Nhat Hanh

User avatar
Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5481
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by Wild Bill » Sun May 27, 2018 6:18 pm

Free handstand on ringsand muscleup on rings.
And hope to do something with capoeira, i mean something more complex than ginga :)

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 11589
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by nafod » Sun May 27, 2018 11:33 pm

nafod wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 pm
- Build the damn sailboat
- More exploratory MTBiking (go some new places)
- Do something seriously outdoors and active 3-4 times/week (ski, paddle, pedal, hike when I can)
Haven’t started the sailboat, but been MTBiking plenty and getting outside lots. So far so good. Knee is happy.
Don’t believe everything you think.

User avatar
syaigh
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5694
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:29 am
Location: Surrounded by short irrational people

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by syaigh » Mon May 28, 2018 11:40 pm

I've been working with a figure coach for the last 4 months. Haven't lost much scale weight, but lost 3 inches off my waist and my shoulder and knee pain are all but gone. My coach basically increases my calories whenever I lose more than 2 lbs as she is trying to put some more mass on me before doing a hard cut. And that time has come. Starting a hard cut next Sunday. I quite drinking for Lent, but got back into a regular (although much more moderate) habit afterwards. I've starting cutting back and hope to cut it back altogether with my cut. I expect to be hangry and less tolerant of all kinds of people. Cutting down to compete as a lightweight in Highland Games in August (must be under 150) and then decide on a competition date from there. progress photo in my training log

Still working with the stallion though haven't ridden in a while, just lunging. Need a new saddle.

Not running, but getting cardio in. Thinking my bike will be a better coaching tool.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Post Reply