IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:37 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: 2018 Goals
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:34 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Syaigh, care to share the diet you and your athlete are following?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:07 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Syaigh, care to share the diet you and your athlete are following?
We both started off using the Renaissance Periodization templates which are great. Except, that you have very specific macro requirements at each meal which is not convenient for me. So, I decided to just go with getting the macros in total throughout the day and not worry about the individual meals. She followed suit as she is a professional firefighter and shift work doesn't really allow for 6 meals a day regularly. Anyway, that was working and I started dropping weight, but I was worried about losing muscle and my shoulder and knee were bothering me quite a bit. So, I hired a figure coach. Her macro recommendations were pretty much the same, except, every week that I lost more than two lbs, she would increase my overall macros. She also gave me a training program that was 4-5 days a week of bodypart focused work (you can see some of these in my training log) and 2 days of short HIIT sessions. We are finally at a point where my weight is no longer going down, but my body is still changing so we are going to start a hard cut on Sunday. I'm curious to see how hungry i'll be. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:35 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Keep losing weight and look athletic again. Down seven belt sizes since June and want to go back to the Amish fellow who cut and punched this one to get a new set of four holes. Already went at Christmas and it felt very good. Keep swinging the bell and get back into hiking shape. We've got a lot of trails very close and a very excited little boy, so hopefully we'll get out regularly and I can even throw him in the Osprey Pogo to carry his 30lb self when he gets tired. Keep working on mobility, especially at the hips and ankles so I can run again. Not pavement, but I'd been doing trail running and loved it before getting plantar fasciitis. Make this all as automated as possible is part of the goal as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:39 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I am on the fence regarding what I should do with my weight. I would like to shed some fat. On the other hand, that will inevitably lead to losing weight overall, and I am already the smallest guy in my BJJ class. The thought of becoming even smaller makes me nervous.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:14 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

This kind of thread isn't normally my thing but in the interest of camaraderie I'm embarking on a bicycling adventure. I bought a second bike, a Salsa Warbird, and I've been really enjoying putting some miles on it. I'm attempting to get a bit more focused with training instead of just hammering it as hard as I can every time I'm on it with the goal being to do a race, either a metric century or a full century and do it with an element of style and grace. To that end, I've asked the wife for a set of Garmin Vector 3 pedals as an anniversary gift...they have a power meter built into each pedal...which I can combine with a heart rate monitor to dial in some thoughtful training. I'll keep you posted...well all four people that are still regularly on IGx.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:35 pm 
Sgt. Major

Quote:
Keep losing weight and look athletic again. Down seven belt sizes since June and want to go back to the Amish fellow who cut and punched this one to get a new set of four holes. Already went at Christmas and it felt very good. Keep swinging the bell and get back into hiking shape. We've got a lot of trails very close and a very excited little boy, so hopefully we'll get out regularly and I can even throw him in the Osprey Pogo to carry his 30lb self when he gets tired. Keep working on mobility, especially at the hips and ankles so I can run again. Not pavement, but I'd been doing trail running and loved it before getting plantar fasciitis. Make this all as automated as possible is part of the goal as well.
That's pretty amazing. Does that equate to 7" down or is a typical belt size more like 1.5" x 7?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:17 pm 

Quote:
I am on the fence regarding what I should do with my weight. I would like to shed some fat. On the other hand, that will inevitably lead to losing weight overall, and I am already the smallest guy in my BJJ class. The thought of becoming even smaller makes me nervous.
How many times per week are you hitting BJJ class?

I'm thinking that if you are going 1x, and you up it to twice; or if you are going twice and you up it to 3x (assuming you can recover) — then you won't need to "decide" anything about fat loss. It will handle itself. Just eat well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:40 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
...I've asked the wife for a set of Garmin Vector 3 pedals as an anniversary gift...they have a power meter built into each pedal...
What if you have her sit on that pedal and hammer her? Measure your power?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:20 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Quote:
...I've asked the wife for a set of Garmin Vector 3 pedals as an anniversary gift...they have a power meter built into each pedal...
What if you have her sit on that pedal and hammer her? Measure your power?
I like where you're going here but I need to remind you that this is a serious thread and there's absolutely no room for tomfoolery! I bid you good day sir.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:09 pm 

After action review:

Tweaks
Quote:
New for 2018: piano lessons!
Great success, until about Sept. Very enriching and rewarding, too.

Quote:
Be more resilient to "perturbations". A miss here & there is inevitable. But don't let a missed day turn into a missed week, a missed week turn into a missed month.
Resolving to be more resilient to disturbances, seems to invite greater disturbances. The death "near" the family in Sept really knocked things for a loop for everyone in the house. I also think that starting karate back up this past Summer, contributed to me dispersing my training efforts and stalled progress on any front. I've basically dropped Judo these past months. (Piano too.)

Some planning to do, here.

Quote:
Be proactive in meal planning for the family, using tools like the Instant Pot etc. Pare down the carry-out & restaurant meals.
Fail.

Quote:
Fix up the "game room" / office.
Success! And a major gain for the whole house. Opens up the family room for us to use it more, bc The Boy is no longer bogarting it for computer games & stuff.

Quote:
Fix up the garage with the heavy bag and a pull-up bar etc.
Not achieved. Significant progress toward it, but not there yet.

Quote:
Upgrade my bike in the springtime.
Fail.

Quote:
Host some social stuff occasionally for our local friends.
Small success. Cleared the way for more this year.

Quote:
Start to realize some savings when stepdaughter graduates college in May/June. Reconfigure budget to use that $$ intelligently.
I guess?? We bought a car, and addressed a debt situation that had snuck up during stepdaughter's college years. We're on a sounder footing now than we were at the beginning of the year. Not what I had hoped for when I wrote down this goal, but it's the right action plan.

Quote:
Go to karate camp in August with the boy.
Did! Was great, too. Most importantly, he loved it and wants to go back this year.

Quote:
Read more books. Actual books with pages.
Success.

It's funny how much my early-year piano fixation dovetailed with this. Fully eight of the books I read this year were piano-related (not counting books containing music).

Standing orders
Quote:
Be a decent husband, father, and stepfather. Keep my job.
Decent.

Quote:
Manage health appropriately for age. Get to the doc, get to the dentist, stay compliant with any meds.
Partial. Ok with meds, didn't see dentist or GP.

Quote:
Eat some decent food occasionally, yogurt & salads etc.
Subpar. Half-decent for some of the year, fell completely off the wagon in the Fall.

Quote:
Get to the park with the dog more, for a hike with off-leash time.
Success, although not as planned. Neighbor fenced in his yard, and we fell into a routine of, after walking the kids to school, we would go to his back yard for 15-20 mins of play time, his dog and my dog and another neighbor's dog. Great for the dogs; surprisingly good for ME too, in terms of social time with neighbors.

Overall assessment: meh. Did some good stuff, completely dropped some stuff. Faced some challenges.

I like this exercise, as a way to clarify my thinking for the year. Would be useful for me to check in on this list a couple times during the year (maybe May & Sept) to remind myself, rather than fire & forget.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:56 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Be less fat, do fewer stupid things, and drink less for one. I want to be more active and look like I actually do stuff instead of borderline chubby non-badass mom.

One of my lifters wants to do a figure/bikini competition in the Fall so I'm riding the diet train with her.
I need to get back to running regularly as I may be the head coach of the cross country team next Fall.
And I need to get back on that stallion and get him out on the trails. (He'll probably like me better if I'm not fat as well.)

So, move more, eat and drink less, and stop acting like I'm old.
Well, I'm still working with my figure coach. Lost about 15 lbs of fat in 2018, but on about 5-10 lbs of muscle. I'm a lot leaner and my clothes fit. Also the bodybuilding workouts have been great for my knees and shoulders. The shoulder took about 3 months to stop hurting all the time, the knees took a bit longer. Got back to some heavy lifting over the summer. Competed in 2 highland games and did really well despite some last minute stupid injuries (I'm clumsy).

Riding has been on and off. Broke a young gelding over the summer and was doing some good work with him, but he has some problems with his ankle that we are trying to rehab now. Seriously thinking about leasing or buying a couple of warmbloods to just have something to take out on some trails with a kid or husband or friend.

My coach and I have discussed doing a figure competition in May or July so just going to put in some hard work the next two months and see if we are ready to cut down for a show in May.

Drinking actually got worse in the Fall, but have been sober since Christmas.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:53 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

My goals last year were vague (do the things I should, avoid the things I should).

2019 - no video games, no driving after drinking

----

Great job Syaigh! Less fat, more muscle, less joint pain. <<<<q

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:22 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Did we do a 2019 goals thread yet?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:03 am 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Quote:
How many times per week are you hitting BJJ class?

I'm thinking that if you are going 1x, and you up it to twice; or if you are going twice and you up it to 3x (assuming you can recover) — then you won't need to "decide" anything about fat loss. It will handle itself. Just eat well.
Yeah, no. Fat loss will not handle itself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:52 am 

Quote:
Yeah, no. Fat loss will not handle itself.
It certainly hasn't been for me.