Can an airdyne be adjusted for a 6'5 mostly torso avg armed guy?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Can an airdyne be adjusted for a 6'5 mostly torso avg armed guy?

Post by bennyonesix » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:35 am

Do airdynes work for tall and long torso'd guys? I've never even seen one in real life but am thinking of buying one. But most upright bikes wreck me after a while unless I ride hands free. So I am concerned.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: Can an airdyne be adjusted for a 6'5 mostly torso avg armed guy?

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:48 pm

Airdyne Pro and Airdyne X maybe

So, the big ones right now are:

Assault
Xebex
Airdyne
Rogue Echo

There are a handful more of other brands

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:52 pm

So, I'm 6'4" and 300 (I'm not as fat as I sound. I swear. A lifetime of Lifting and judo). I have a an Evolution Pro or Comp (I forget which. Small wheel, big flat fan blade, large upright pillar with monitor at the top) I ride it with the seat all the way down. Never any problems. My only two complaints are that your ass starts to fall asleep after about thirty or forty minutes and you have to keep moving your thumb around to keep it from going numb (that might just be my own impingement issues from years of judo).

You really won't be disappointed, the only two cardio machines that I ever found to be worth the money are the C2 and the Airdyne. Luckily, I got mine for the cost of hauling it away.

Lych
Sarge

Post by Lych » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:13 pm

tonkadtx wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:52 pm
So, I'm 6'4" and 300 (I'm not as fat as I sound. I swear. A lifetime of Lifting and judo). I have a an Evolution Pro or Comp (I forget which. Small wheel, big flat fan blade, large upright pillar with monitor at the top) I ride it with the seat all the way down. Never any problems. My only two complaints are that your ass starts to fall asleep after about thirty or forty minutes and you have to keep moving your thumb around to keep it from going numb (that might just be my own impingement issues from years of judo).

You really won't be disappointed, the only two cardio machines that I ever found to be worth the money are the C2 and the Airdyne. Luckily, I got mine for the cost of hauling it away.
No, it isn't just you. I second this. Chode pressure and numb thumb ended the bikes for me. Walking, circuits, or running - if I ever buy a cardio machine again, I'm thinking rower, skier, or treadmill for the sub zero temperature months.

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:25 am

I've got an airdyne - I use it sporadically when I can't run hills or sandbag stuff. Generally do intervals on it for about 20 minutes a session b/c it is just as boring as any other exercise bike. Anything longer and my junk goes numb.

One thing you should be aware of - it is possible that the arm motion may aggravate existing elbow issues. I've had elbow pain off and on for a few years, and when they flare up the airdyne is a no go. Bad pain in the elbows and even a bit of numbness in pinky fingers on both hands - something about having my hands/arms locked in that position.