Skiing is a good workout

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Skiing is a good workout

Post by nafod » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:39 pm

According to the Times. Warms my heart, as I usually ski 2-3 times per week.

Interesting article...

http://time.com/5118770/is-skiing-a-good-workout/
But skiing really distinguishes itself from other fitness activities when it comes to firing up and training the muscles of your lower body. “The mix of highly coordinated movements with different types of exercise modes”—carving, skidding, quick turns, jumping—”and the mix of eccentric, isometric and concentric muscle work might be seen as quite unique when compared with other types of physical activity,” says Thomas Stöggl, a skiing researcher and associate professor of sports science and kinesiology at the University of Salzburg.

The subtle (and not so subtle) knee and hip movements and exertions that take place during downhill skiing challenges a much wider range of lower-body muscles than do most other forms of exercise. From the large muscles in your thighs to much smaller support muscles around your knees, skiing is a complete lower-body workout, shows a recent study in the Journal of Sports Science and Medicine.
At MA we would occasionally do a sit against a wall for time, and I could do 3 minutes with effort. Even though I am not a squat kind of guy.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Skiing is a good workout

Post by Sangoma » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 am

Few activities beat cross country skiing though.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Skiing is a good workout

Post by nafod » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:50 am

Got a bunch of friends that teleski (x-country up, ski down, earn your turns) but I haven't done it. Would like to.

I'd love to ski in Australia one time. Kangaroos in their winter fur jumping around everywhere.
Don’t believe everything you think.