Muscle memory...

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

terra

Muscle memory...

Post by terra » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:51 pm

File this in the 'We Already Kinda Knew' folder...

"A study has shown for the first time that human muscles possess a 'memory' of earlier growth -- at the DNA level."

"Periods of skeletal muscle growth are 'remembered' by the genes in the muscle, helping them to grow larger later in life."

"In this study, we've demonstrated the genes in muscle become more untagged with this epigenetic information when it grows following exercise in earlier life, importantly these genes remain untagged even when we lose muscle again, but this untagging helps 'switch' the gene on to a greater extent and is associated with greater muscle growth in response to exercise in later life -- demonstrating an epigenetic memory of earlier life muscle growth!"

"Further research will be important to understand how different exercise programmes can help activate these muscle memory genes."

Then this...

"If an elite athlete takes performance-enhancing drugs to put on muscle bulk, their muscle may retain a memory of this prior muscle growth. If the athlete is caught and given a ban -- it may be the case that short bans are not adequate, as they may continue to be at an advantage over their competitors because they have taken drugs earlier in life, despite not taking drugs anymore. More research using drugs to build muscle, rather than exercise used in the present study, is required to confirm this."

That last sentence should give you pitiful old fucks a glimmer of hope... Somewhere someone might be designing an experiment you can participate in and get paid for training with PEDs.

Ref.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 091144.htm
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Muscle memory...

Post by Bram » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:00 am

I was just going to share this.

Once a cheater, always a cheater.

:finga:
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:51 am

I'm going to call bullshit on this. To use a tired old example - if this were true then ex pro-bodybuilders would be able to attain and maintain "next level" muscle mass without drugs (albeit, less muscle mass than when on cycle) and I haven't seen any examples of that.

I agree with the general notion of muscle memory within a person's genetic limits, but the premise of the article excerpt seems to be that you can permanently reset your genetic setpoint for muscle mass by using drugs for a period of time.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:34 pm

I don't know. I have a few lifters who are former steroid users. And know a few more. They definitely have a better hypertrophy talent than natural folks. Not sure the cause or if its genetic, but there's definitely something different about them.

Someone told me once that it may have something to do with development of satellite cells and Testosterone receptor expression. But, I'm not sure.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.