MMA Fighter Study - The "Style Bender"

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

MMA Fighter Study - The "Style Bender"

Post by Bram » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:26 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT1-_FZm3ck

I wish back when I was doing karate I would have studied more feints. I love the hip pull this guy does - looks like the start of a roundhouse kick. Followed by a roundhouse kick. Diverse angles he's coming from too.
"If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: MMA Fighter Study - The "Style Bender"

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:07 pm

He's a waaaaay better striker than the guys he's fighting. Cool vid but the editor's comments ignore that you can look pretty fucking awesome when you're 2-3 belts above the guy you're spanking.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:23 am

He's got surprising speed and power too. He's fighting in the UFC now, will be interesting if he can survive a take you down and smother/maul/submit you stylist.

"I don't need to hit hard, I hit sharp" - his quote from somewhere.
"If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Probably should avoid Yoel. That guy is a murderer.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:32 pm

Bram wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:26 am
I love the hip pull this guy does - looks like the start of a roundhouse kick. Followed by a roundhouse kick.
One of the karate instructors in the school I was part of, was a fantastic teacher of fighters. He was hugely intimidating himself; but he fostered a ton of excellent fighters. Helluva teacher.

One of the things he espoused was to chamber your leg for every kick the same way. So, you raise your knee pointed straight at the opponent, with lower leg hanging below, like the way you'd chamber a front kick. And you throw EVERY kick from that same chambered position. Round kick from that position (pretty easy), side kick from that position (hard), hook kick from that position (damn hard), whatever. This might be an old Bill Wallace trick, I'm not sure.

Your fighter in this vid looks like he's doing exactly that. It's interesting to see.

By the way, I learned the basics of what that instructor was teaching, but I never really committed to that style or to the necessary practice. Frankly, I was afraid of throwing sidekicks from that chambered position, afraid of dedicating practice time to it because of what it might do to my knee long-term. But I don't know if that concern was justified: the kick felt weird to me, but I'm not aware of any consistent injury issue among that instructor's horde of students.

There's so much emphasis on grappling these past ~20 years, it's nice to see strikers making an impact. (ha)
It'll be interesting to see how that guy fares against better grapplers.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:55 pm

Here's a nice article about Bill Wallace that covers what you're talking about a bit:

https://blackbeltmag.com/masters/bill-w ... e-seminar/

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:57 pm

Another good video of the Style Bender, cheesy intro, but after that they talk about him switching from Muay Thai, Boxing and Tae Kwon Do stances as he moves from strike to strike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT4p9sYNQ8U

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:59 pm

JimZipCode wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:32 pm

There's so much emphasis on grappling these past ~20 years, it's nice to see strikers making an impact. (ha)
It'll be interesting to see how that guy fares against better grapplers.
He might be totally fucked.

That said he has a monstrous reach of 80" - it's going to be very hard to deal with him for anyone in his weight class. Hope he keeps turning in good performances.