Visualizations for Chemo?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Visualizations for Chemo?

Post by Bram » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:42 am

A friend of mine just found out he has a malignant tumor that is going to require chemo and perhaps radiation, prior to surgery.

He asked me if I had any visualizations I could recommend for when he's on the table "getting zapped."

In his 20's he underwent chemo and radiation and visualized the chemo attacking the cancer cells against a green background and found it very helpful. He's looking for some more tools to use.

I don't have any background in this and thought some people here could help.

Thanks in advance.
"When times are good be grateful, when times are tough be graceful."

Old Mother
Staff Sergeant

Re: Visualizations for Chemo?

Post by Old Mother » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:22 am

That's terrible news. I hope he pulls through.

Why can't he use the same visualization? If it worked for once, who's to say it won't work for him again?

If he wants something new, how about the chemo is like a legion of vikings storming across a field to kill the enemy [the cancer cells]?

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:18 pm

Hope he beats it fella, sorry for your news.

I know a few visualisation style exercises but nothing specific to this. There was a book I read years back by a Tibetan Buddhist dude which had lots of this kind of stuff in. I may be confused but I think it was something like 'the power of the mind' or something similar. My dad just beat cancer through a combo of good care and remaining cheerful and active. Never realised how stoic he was until this, he's fucking nails actually - mentally anyway. At the worst point in the process a friend of his asked him how he felt about having some of his bowel removed. Straight off the cuff he said "better a semi colon than a full stop", which is a quality bit of black humour when you're looking down the barrel.

Anyway, best wishes to him.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:38 pm

Old Mother wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:22 am
That's terrible news. I hope he pulls through.

Why can't he use the same visualization? If it worked for once, who's to say it won't work for him again?

If he wants something new, how about the chemo is like a legion of vikings storming across a field to kill the enemy [the cancer cells]?
Thanks! He just wanted some additional tools, but was planning on re-using the one he had before. I'll pass your suggestion on to him.

He's an excellent human being, I'm hoping the best for him too.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:39 pm

Thanks, Odin.

He has a sense of humor about him, but you can tell he's shaken, I'll try to keep his spirits up when I see him and not revert to only asking him how he's coping.